Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks" Released
    Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Heck...if the power-saving features in Mavericks help this much...this feature by itself would be worth the upgrade (for anyone debating about upgrading...free or not)...and has a notebook.

- Nick
    If it holds true, of course.... I'm using iStat's battery gauge, I'm not sure how it determines the runtime. Either way, 8 hours on a MacBook Pro with an i7, ain't too shabby.... especially given that the machine was rated for 7 hours when new (I think).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    CWA, that is impressive! Sounds like Mavericks gave you a boost in battery life. I am starting to really like Mavericks even on my iMac.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    ... typically get a good 5 hours of battery life. Today, I've been logged in since 7am (it's about 3pm right now) and I'm still showing 2:22 battery life.
    If you've been logged in since 7am (and it's about 3pm now)...that's 8 hours right there (assuming continuous use). With approx. 2:22 remaining...that would be over 10 hours!

Going from 5 to 10 hours with just an OS upgrade is pretty impressive. Of course I know that those battery "remaining" calculations can vary greatly depending on demand. But heck...even going from 5 hours to 8 hours is still pretty impressive.

I was doing some reading regarding the power saving features of Mavericks. The "power improvements" certainly would seem to vary depending on a users computing habits (some folks may see large improvements, and some may see smaller improvements).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    I must say that I am surprised as well.
    On my 2013 MBA, currently at 72% battery it says 11:47 remaining . That would be amazing.

Cheers .... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Since we are focusing a bit on battery runtime improvements with Mavericks...I found an article that put some numbers to it:

OS X 10.9 Mavericks: The Ars Technica Review | Ars Technica

Notice that one of the computers that the author did the testing on was a 2007 MacBook Pro...which didn't have the same battery life as newer "Unibody" MacBook Pros & MacBooks (newer laptops should do better).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I work from home. Most of the time, it's on my MacBook Pro, either sitting in the kitchen (when I need power), or in my recliner (when I don't). Running the Citrix client to connect to my Windows 7 VDI at work, I typically get a good 5 hours of battery life. Today, I've been logged in since 7am (it's about 3pm right now) and I'm still showing 2:22 battery life.

That's impressive, particularly from a nearly 3 year old battery.
    Did you do a clean install? That could be part of the improvement as well.

It's interesting to look through the energy panel of Activity Monitor now or simply clicking the battery menulet to see what applications are using "significant energy" (to use Apple's words). One thing that still confuses me is App Nap. I put Safari behind a Chrome window and AM said that it didn't have AN enabled. In an equally perplexing way, some apps I never would have expected to support it out of the gate appear too (MS Word and Mendeley for example).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    I'm probably going to do a clean install on my 2008 MBP. I've only ever done upgrades on it since Leopard (or maybe I did a clean install of SL, I forget). It runs fine, but I've never used Onyx or iDefrag and I suspect a clean install of Mavericks would provide some improvements in performance. Can't hurt to spend my Saturday afternoon on it.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Did you do a clean install? That could be part of the improvement as well.
    Nope. Straight upgrade, no frills. In fact, this is a first for me, I typically always do a clean install. But since Mavericks looked/looks like a pretty mildly warm-over of Mountain Lion, I saw no need to install clean this time. I may do it later just to be sure I'm not leaving any droppings behind, but so far, I can't complain.

I will tell you that during the first hour I was running it, my fans were on full and there was definitely something weird going on - at least initially. Spotlight didn't say it was indexing, but the mdworker process told a different story. However, once we got past that first hour, it seemed fine.

It's interesting to look through the energy panel of Activity Monitor now or simply clicking the battery menulet to see what applications are using "significant energy" (to use Apple's words). One thing that still confuses me is App Nap. I put Safari behind a Chrome window and AM said that it didn't have AN enabled. In an equally perplexing way, some apps I never would have expected to support it out of the gate appear too (MS Word and Mendeley for example).
    Yeah, I did have a click around Activity Monitor, especially after that initial CPU spike I mentioned above. Great improvements there for sure. I can now actually quantify why Chrome is such a battery hog.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    I will tell you that during the first hour I was running it, my fans were on full and there was definitely something weird going on - at least initially. Spotlight didn't say it was indexing, but the mdworker process told a different story. However, once we got past that first hour, it seemed fine.
    Maybe it was upgrading the Spotlight database? (This one's a mystery to me).

Yeah, I did have a click around Activity Monitor, especially after that initial CPU spike I mentioned above. Great improvements there for sure. I can now actually quantify why Chrome is such a battery hog.
    Yeah, that was, well, quite a shock. I was always willing to admit that, with their performance focus, Google was building a browser that used much more battery than it should. I can now see that Chrome is just plain terrible and bad enough that I'll be looking for an alternative to run while on battery power (likely Firefox).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook (Mid-2007, 10.5.8) + MacBook Pro (Late-2008, 10.9) - See Signature
    Installed Mavericks yesterday on my MBP (Specs in Sig) no hiccups so far.

Did a Time Machine backup before starting the download and install.

Loving iBooks, since the only iOS device I have is a 4th gen iPod touch.

As I upgraded from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard not having Spaces anymore annoyed me but I figured out the equivalent function in Mission Control with adding desktops.

Curiously, even though I had iWork '09 installed, after Mavericks fully installed itself, the Mac App Store allowed me to download the new versions of Pages 5.0, Numbers 3.0 and Keynote 6.0 as an update.

I had put iWork '09 inside its own subfolder inside my Applications Folder when I first installed them and after the update I found I still had the '09 version of Pages, Numbers and Keynote right where I left them.

MB | Mid-2007 | 13-inch | 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo | 2GB DDR2 | 120GB HDD | GMA 950 | White
    MBP | Late-2008 | 15-inch | 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB DDR3 | 250GB HDD | 9400M + 9600M GT w/ 256MB GDDR3 | Unibody

Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Somewhat Jekyll and Hyde on the free though. Mavericks upgrade broke OS X Server, so I had to pony up $20 for a new version.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Maybe it was upgrading the Spotlight database? (This one's a mystery to me).

Yeah, that was, well, quite a shock. I was always willing to admit that, with their performance focus, Google was building a browser that used much more battery than it should. I can now see that Chrome is just plain terrible and bad enough that I'll be looking for an alternative to run while on battery power (likely Firefox).
    And finally he is beaten hahaha jk

I really do like the new look, and what has surprised me, and with good thought gone into it, Safari Web Content what i have been complaining about so very much lately, when in like 3hrs it goes up to 5.56GB, Activity Monitor now divides each page/tab into its own Safari Web Content so you can actually see which page is giving you the leaks. Amazing, wonderful, blow my mind, brilliant, think different !!! Now i can just get rid of the one page giving me the heebie jeebies and keep working.

Love it.

And my girl, wemac, hasn't yet upgraded, and she is always asking me, what is it this time. I tell her, I'm yet again, found something in this new OS that just WOW's me Its looking good for Apple.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Activity Monitor now divides each page/tab into its own Safari Web Content so you can actually see which page is giving you the leaks. Amazing, wonderful, blow my mind, brilliant, think different !!!
    Think different? You mean "Think Google" - Chrome has had that functionality since, as far as I can recall, it became publicly available.
    Writing a Quality Post

Your Mac's Specs
    20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
    Installed Mavericks on both my iMac and on my MacBook Pro. Not sure if it is matter of both computers having to do a new indexing from the start, but both systems are running a little slow. And iTunes is having a heck of a time remaining stable, (having issues connecting and updating apps from the App Store). Had to force quit itunes in order to access other programs on my desktop.

Has anyone else noticed these issues?

Hope Springs Eternal
    Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!

Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Think different? You mean "Think Google" - Chrome has had that functionality since, as far as I can recall, it became publicly available.
    Well then, thats one back for you. Still a bloody good idea though.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information