Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: java warnings

java warnings
    Reading the US gov't warnings about Java security flaws I wonder if I can set things differently to stay out of trouble with my iMac / OS 10.6.8. I am using Safari w/both Java and Javascript enabled under "preferences". I think I am a careful surfer as the machine is password protected and hardly ever in "admin" mode, no flaky sites visited no autoclicks on unsolicited emails etc...
    Your advice will be appreciated.
    Thank you

java warnings
    Your Mac's Specs
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I have Javascript enabled but not Java and they are not the same and it has not affected anything I do.

chas_m
    JavaScript has absolutely nothing to do with Java. Leave JavaScript turned on.

Disable Java by unchecking it until you have installed the patched version of Java 7 and it's web plug-in. Or just live without it as most Mac owners do these days.

java warnings
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Went into my system to check it out when I saw the warning last week. Found out I didn't even have java installed. On my 18 mth old machine.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

java warnings
    Your Mac's Specs
    13" Retina MBP 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    JavaScript has absolutely nothing to do with Java. Leave JavaScript turned on.

Disable Java by unchecking it until you have installed the patched version of Java 7 and it's web plug-in. Or just live without it as most Mac owners do these days.

Hi Da Man!

1. How/Where do you disable Java

2. What is the loss?

3. I keep getting message Shock Flash is not working.

4. I found this; I wanted to check with the Gurus before I did anything: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7...-java-in-os-x/

My comments!

Checking for Java
    Luckily unless a specific program needs Java, then the Java runtime is not required for OS X. None of the operating system's features need Java to run, and it's components are only present in the OS to support the runtime if you choose to install it for your needs.

Starting with OS X 10.7 Apple stopped including a Java runtime in OS X, but still provides a quick link to install it if you run a program that requires Java. When such a program is launched, you will first be prompted to install the Java runtime but if you choose not to, then the program will quit. As a result, if you have not purposefully taken steps to install Java on a new system, then it will not have a Java runtime and therefore will not be vulnerable to these latest malware attacks; however, if you are unsure whether you have Java installed, there are a couple of ways to check.

Open a Java application
    A simple way to see if you have Java installed is to open an application that requires it, and one of these that is included with OS X is the Java Preferences utility. Go to the /Applications/Utilities/ folder in OS X and launch the Java Preferences program, and if it opens and shows various configuration options, then you have Java installed; however, it if shows a message stating you need Java and provides you with an option to install it, then you do not have Java installed.

I do not have Java Preferences program in my Utilities folder

Use the Terminal
    The OS X Terminal (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder) provided access to a number of commands that can be used for looking up system information, and by running the following one in the Terminal you should be able to see in the output what Java runtimes (if any) are installed on your computer:
    sudo /usr/libexec/java_home
    Related stories
    Troubleshooting a freezing or hanging OS X menu bar
    How to open multiple instances of an application in OS X
    Do you need to uninstall Java to be safe from its vulnerabilities?
    Disabling Java
    If you do have Java installed on your system and would like to disable it, you can easily do so in the Java Preferences utility. When you open the utility you will be presented with a list of the Java runtimes installed on your system, and a check box next to each. By unchecking the runtimes you will prevent them from being used, and unchecking all will disable Java entirely.

Running this Terminal command will output "No Java runtime present" if you do not have Java installed. By default new Macs will not have Java installed (click for larger view).
    (Credit: Screenshot by Topher Kessler/CNET)
    Once disabled, if you have a program on your computer that requires Java, then the program will simply not run until you enable it again. Therefore, while disabling Java does require an extra step when you want to run Java applications, it does put the control in your hands over what Java programs are allowed to run.
    Uninstalling Java
    Unfortunately there is no direct or easy way to uninstall Java, so once installed the only way to remove it and all of its components completely is to reinstall OS X; however, you can remove the Java virtual machine (the runtime) from your system and thereby perform a similar routine as an uninstall. To do this, go to the /System/Library/Frameworks/ directory and remove the file "JavaVM.framework," which contains the Java runtimes. Additionally, empty the contents of the following directories on the system which link to the runtimes in the framework:
    /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
    /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines
    Equipment: 13" Mac Book Pro Retina
    Camera: Olympus E-MI II
    My images – “NATURE INTERPRETED” – can be viewed at
    http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

chas_m
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvntravln View Post
    Hi Da Man!

1. How/Where do you disable Java

2. What is the loss?

3. I keep getting message Shock Flash is not working.

1. If you are using Safari or Firefox, you need do nothing; issue is being handled automatically for you. If you are using SOME OTHER BROWSER, then you go into its preferences and uncheck Java. Programs that use Java natively on your Mac (like older versions of OpenOffice as an example) are UNAFFECTED by this issue so you can go right on using them. It's only the web browser plug-in that is at risk.

2. Not much these days. If it wasn't for Pogo Games and their stupid reliance on Java I think this would largely be a complete non-issue for most Mac users. There are, however, some sites on the web that use Java applets for miscellaneous things. Those sites will be very affected by this issue.

3. You should update your Flash by going to Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

java warnings
    Your Mac's Specs
    13" Retina MBP 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    1. If you are using Safari or Firefox, you need do nothing; issue is being handled automatically for you. If you are using SOME OTHER BROWSER, then you go into its preferences and uncheck Java. Programs that use Java natively on your Mac (like older versions of OpenOffice as an example) are UNAFFECTED by this issue so you can go right on using them. It's only the web browser plug-in that is at risk.

2. Not much these days. If it wasn't for Pogo Games and their stupid reliance on Java I think this would largely be a complete non-issue for most Mac users. There are, however, some sites on the web that use Java applets for miscellaneous things. Those sites will be very affected by this issue.

3. You should update your Flash by going to Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player
    Hi and done!

Using Chrome; these helped me do the dirty deed and turn off the plugin:

How to turn off Java on your browser – and why you should do it now | Naked Security

How to disable Java – Chrome | Naked Security

When I went to the Flash site Chrome popped up, blocked, and said Chrome keeps Flash up to date.

Thanks
    Equipment: 13" Mac Book Pro Retina
    Camera: Olympus E-MI II
    My images – “NATURE INTERPRETED” – can be viewed at
    http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

Thread Information