old itunes accounts

old itunes accounts
    So i have music on my computer from an old itunes account. when my email changed,as it has a couple of times over the years, i changed my apple id account info to reflect the changes - however to copy and play songs from the old account on another computer - i am prompted to enter the password from that old account - and in trying all the permutations of passwords i have used over the years - i can't seem to make it work. does anyone have a clue how to fix this issue? or how to access the passwords from old inactive accounts? to further complicate things - going through the "You can't remember your password?" option to get to this info - when i get to the point of entering my birthdate - which has not changed ever - it says that date does not correspond to the account in question.

any help would be appreciated

old itunes accounts
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)2.3 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
    Quote Originally Posted by mlanexman View Post
    So i have music on my computer from an old itunes account. when my email changed,as it has a couple of times over the years, i changed my apple id account info to reflect the changes - however to copy and play songs from the old account on another computer - i am prompted to enter the password from that old account - and in trying all the permutations of passwords i have used over the years - i can't seem to make it work. does anyone have a clue how to fix this issue? or how to access the passwords from old inactive accounts? to further complicate things - going through the "You can't remember your password?" option to get to this info - when i get to the point of entering my birthdate - which has not changed ever - it says that date does not correspond to the account in question.

any help would be appreciated
    I see nobody responded to your question and i'm having a very similar issue. Was wondering if you ever found a fix to your problem?

old itunes accounts
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    There is no fix for the problem. The original mistake was to have multiple accounts. Apple will not allow you to merge them. Period. So you can't fix the issue. There is a kind of workaround, but you need the passwords to use it. You can create a family account and share across all the accounts as a family. But you have to have the passwords to do that.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

That's Apple's support document on how to do it.
    Jake

old itunes accounts
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)2.3 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
    Jake hello,
    Maybe i should have said workaround instead of fix. And as to the original mistake, there was a need for family members to have their own acct. That acct. has been inactive since the early 2000's and those passwords, unfortunately went with the old iMac, 2 mac's ago. And the protected music was playing on my iTunes up until I turned the iCloud on last spring, don't know if that had anything todo with anything, just that's when the issue started. Spent an hour on the phone with apple support the other night and went through the workaround you mentioned and had no luck.But the real teaser is they started playing again after i went and purchased 1 of the protected albums again. They all say protected and are showing owned by my current act.
    Correction- I've found some of the purchased music still has the old acct. attached for ownership, but it will play on the iMac.
    Last edited by benchracer; 04-10-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: more info.

old itunes accounts
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Apple had an interesting program going some time ago that I took advantage of for a situation like this. At that time you could purchase unprotected copies of previously purchased protected music for about $0.30 per track. Perhaps when you putchased the new track something similar happened.

Either that or Santa came extra early this year.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information