Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

RAM not showing up.
    I'm completely new to this form and have no idea if this is in the right place, but here goes.

A couple of months ago my MacBook Pro (mid 2009) stopped working. As I was updating its software, it froze for several hours until I finally shut it down. I later found out how stupid this was when the computer refused to move past the Apple screen.

Anyway, after countless hours of trouble shooting and deleting all the content on my hard drive (there was nothing critically important that wasn't backed up), I was able to partition the drive into two, reinstall Snow Leopard on the second (Lion, the OS I have been running, refused to download so I had to use my old SL disk), and get the computer working again.

The bulk of my day has been spent putting everything back onto my machine and downloading software updates. When I was finally ready to install Mountain Lion, it said that 2gb of memory were required.

I have never opened my Mac, which came with 2 gb of RAM, but now About This Mac is saying that I only have 1, barring me from installing Mountain Lion or any iLife/iWork programs. I don't know if this has to do with partitioning my drive (which I split evenly into two), or if it's some other strange glitch.

Any help would be much appreciated!

RAM not showing up.
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Partitioning the hard drive has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory in the machine. They're not even remotely related.

If your system information.app says that there is only 1 GB of memory installed, it's because it only "sees" 1 GB. Try a PRAM/NVRAM reset to see if the other module will be recognized. Go to this LINK. If that doesn't work, open up the machine, remove the battery (if it's removable) and reinstall the two memory modules.

=]\
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Partitioning the hard drive has nothing to do with the amount of physical memory in the machine. They're not even remotely related.

If your system information.app says that there is only 1 GB of memory installed, it's because it only "sees" 1 GB. Try a PRAM/NVRAM reset to see if the other module will be recognized. Go to this LINK. If that doesn't work, open up the machine, remove the battery (if it's removable) and reinstall the two memory modules.
    Thanks. I opened it up and re-set the RAM but it's still just reading 1.!

RAM not showing up.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I would try swapping them around and see if the same issue occurs. If that's the case then one of them is dead. In which case you would need to buy another one.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    I would try swapping them around and see if the same issue occurs. If that's the case then one of them is dead. In which case you would need to buy another one.
    Worked like a charm. Thank you so much

RAM not showing up.
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake1404 View Post
    Worked like a charm. Thank you so much
    Glad that it worked out for ya.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Information