Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Question Preview erases the capability to recognize text after I annotate a pdf file.
    It seems if I edit a pdf preview document that has recognizable text (you CAN use CMD+F and copy and paste the text), it the document LOSES it ability to recognize the text. If I copy some highlited text, it will paste as some kind of code. When I say edit a document, I mean take a note, highlite, ect. It also loses this ability if I change the file name.

I am a student and would like the ability to edit my textbooks and retain their ability to Command + Find. I really like preview and do not want to use another program, if possible.

I had the same problem in Snow Leopard, I read a post somewhere that it had been resolved in Lion, which is why I upgraded to Mountain Lion (figured it would still be resolved).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm a student who relies on Preview heavily. Nothing is as polished, fast, and easy to annotate. Love the page swiping animations. There is nothing that can match it. However, If preview continues to destroy text data that would make it an unworkable solution! Have you found a solution? .

Preview also overwrites logical page numbering, which is pretty inconvenient but I can still live with it.

I also don't like the way the new preview (6.0 with mountain lion) has restricted highlighting only to certain colors, which are not accessible via the color palette. So changing colors is two clicks instead of one like in the previous version of preview (if you kept the color palette open).

In addition, the new Preview saving is muuuuch slower than the previous version. This is noticeable in heavily annotated files like I have. Sometimes it can take minutes just to save! With auto-save on, that makes it unuseable. I turned autosave off, but then I lost important annotations! Even manual saving takes forever. I found a workaround to install Preview from Lion, but having two versions of Preview (you cant delete the default one), has its own quirks.

Let me know if you have any luck with solving your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSt View Post
    It seems if I edit a pdf preview document that has recognizable text (you CAN use CMD+F and copy and paste the text), it the document LOSES it ability to recognize the text. If I copy some highlited text, it will paste as some kind of code. When I say edit a document, I mean take a note, highlite, ect. It also loses this ability if I change the file name.

I am a student and would like the ability to edit my textbooks and retain their ability to Command + Find. I really like preview and do not want to use another program, if possible.

I had the same problem in Snow Leopard, I read a post somewhere that it had been resolved in Lion, which is why I upgraded to Mountain Lion (figured it would still be resolved).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information