Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

brandnewrock22
    Question Upgrade to Tiger?
    Hello, I know this has already been covered probably but I figured i'd ask anyways.

I am running Mac OS X 10.2.8 on a 800 MHz Power PC G4. Because of the new features of Tiger and the iPod video I just received for Christmas, I'm thinking about updating to Tiger. I checked the Apple page and i'm pretty sure my system meets all of the requirements for the upgrade but I don't want to go for it if it's only going to cause me problems. I'm also wondering what the best kind of install is, since there seem to be 4 different options. Here's my situation:

1. I am a music junkie. I have a 1700-some song library and if I were to lose it all, I would probably cry (yes, i've backed them up onto a CD, but that would be a pain to have to transfer them again ANYWAYS).

2. I'm not into the video aspect of the system much, besides for needing the h.264 capabilities for my new iPod. I'm not worried about losing older OS 10.2.8 applications.

3. I am constantly on AOL Instant Messenger and Firefox. I do NOT want any of my preferences, bookmarks, away messages, etc. to be deleted.

I know this sounds complicated but I spend a lot of time on the computer and don't want to see the past 3 or so years of my files just totally disappear. Hopefully someone who is knowledgeable or has done this in the past can help me, it would be greatly appreciated! :headphone

Upgrade to Tiger?
    Your Mac's Specs
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    Best way would be "Archive & install".
    That way, you get a clean Tiger system, without loosing any of your user data, including settings and bookmarks.
    Nevertheless, applications that are not Tiger compatible will not run after you upgraded.
    AIM and Firefox will work fine, and your music collection is safe also. :cool:

brandnewrock22
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Best way would be "Archive & install".
    That way, you get a clean Tiger system, without loosing any of your user data, including settings and bookmarks.
    Nevertheless, applications that are not Tiger compatible will not run after you upgraded.
    AIM and Firefox will work fine, and your music collection is safe also. :cool:
    Thank you, I don't know what i'd do without my music!

Thread Information