Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

how to reinstall OS when optical drive is broken
    Hello, I am trying to put in a new hard drive which I have done before. Anyway, I successfully put the drive in but totally forgot that my optical drive doesn't work( it makes tons of noise and then spits the disc out. the last time I inserted a disc..it made all kinds of clicking noises and the disc never came out...I had to poke and prod to finally get it out)

I just finished putting back in the old drive but want to know how I can successfully install the operating system when my optical drive is busted. I do not have access to another mac computer nor do I have an external optical drive. I do have sever pc's lying around though.

Thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Get an external optical drive...or if you're already opening your computer up to install the new hard drive...replace the optical drive as well while you're in there. Replacement internals are not as costly as you might think (if cost was a concern):

Here's an external option:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/VLU2SD24XLS/

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thanks, But I really didn't want to purchase another optical drive as I am planning on getting a new comp sometime in Nov or December. I rather my money go towards that. Until then, is there no other way to install this OS on a new hard drive without an optical drive??

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Msgigi View Post
    Thanks, But I really didn't want to purchase another optical drive as I am planning on getting a new comp sometime in Nov or December. I rather my money go towards that. Until then, is there no other way to install this OS on a new hard drive without an optical drive??
    What OS version are you trying to install?

Also...what model Macintosh are you working with (please be specific)?

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

it's the late 2007 macbook and the os that came with it...leaopard. I tried to access the OS disk from my pc but bootcamp comes up. I have a few external hard drives as well.

Your Mac's Specs
    it's the late 2007 macbook and the os that came with it...leaopard. I tried to access the OS disk from my pc but bootcamp comes up. I have a few external hard drives as well.
    Thanks for the info. There are a lot of Macintosh models out there...and a lot of OS versions...so it's good to know what were working with.

So you mentioned "Leopard"...which is OS 10.5. Do you need OS 10.5 for some reason?...it's sort of an older OS version.

Since you have a 2007 MacBook (with a busted optical drive)...and don't want to spend any money to replace it...one option to install the OS (without an optical drive...and without access to a 2nd Mac computer)...is to purchase & install OS 10.7 "Lion" on USB stick:

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

This is actually more expensive ($69) then purchasing the external optical drive I linked above ($53.99). But given your limitations (no 2nd Mac & busted optical drive)...your options are sort of limited.

- Nick

Since I will be getting a new comp in a few months I don't really want to spend any money on this one. I'm installing a new hard drive 500 gb because I had it laying around and my old one is full and slow.(I keep getting messages and I believe it may crash soon) I don't particularly need leopard but that is the installations discs that I have since it came with my system when I purchased it.

I just wanted to upgrade this hard drive and hopefully have this comp make it until Nov or dec when I get a new one.

Your Mac's Specs
    Since I will be getting a new comp in a few months I don't really want to spend any money on this one. I'm installing a new hard drive 500 gb because I had it laying around and my old one is full and slow.(I keep getting messages and I believe it may crash soon) I don't particularly need leopard but that is the installations discs that I have since it came with my system when I purchased it.

I just wanted to upgrade this hard drive and hopefully have this comp make it until Nov or dec when I get a new one.
    I understand not wanting to invest more money in this computer...and I know that you mentioned having some PC's around...so I guess you won't go computer-less.

If I understand the situation correctly...the MacBook's HD is "full & slow"...and the new drive you cannot install the OS on...because the optical drive is busted.

So why not do this:

- install the old HD back into the computer
    - install the 500gig drive into an external case ($5-$10 bucks)
    - connect the external 500gig via USB
    - format the 500gig (Mac OS Extended-Journaled)
    - then use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate everything to the 500gig
    - then install the 500gig into the MacBook

BAMM...now you have everything on the 500gig...with a lot of room to spare!

Carbon Copy Cloner

Or a second idea:

- install the old HD back into the MacBook
    - delete some of the "junk" on it to free up some space (there's got to be some junk on it)
    - then run a maintenance program called "Onyx" on it to "freshen" things up

Titanium's Software - Download

- Nick

Thanks for the suggestion. There really is no junk on it at all. I moved everything that I didn't need to my external 2TB HD. I may have to buckle down and just buy an external optical drive. I had been reading that I can load the OS from an external Hard drive but really couldn't find any step by step instructions.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my questions.

Your Mac's Specs
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Here's a bunch of very inexpensive enclosures which when used in conjunction with pigoo3's Carbon Copy Cloner solution above would work perfectly to solve your problem...

Newegg.com - Accessories, Desktop Computer Accessories, External Enclosures, 2.5", SATA, usb enclosure

Thread Information