Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Exclamation Mac mini stuck booting from Superdrive
    First off, this isn't strictly and "OS X" problem, but I think it belongs here more than it belongs in the strictly hardware forum. Someone let me know if I should move it... Anyways.

I have a PowerPC Mac mini and a wired Apple keyboard.

I was testing a Linux LiveCD the other day and chose to boot up from the Superdrive through the System Preferences Pane. The LiveCD worked, but then when I tried to restart and use the keyboard command to choose to boot from the OS on the internal HD, I realized that my keyboard isn't responsive during the startup procedure. Therefore, I can't reset the pram either, which is what I imagine would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

Unfortunately I don't know anyway to change the boot method from the Linux end either.

I have various install and utility CD's from several generations of Macs, but the mini will not use any of them to boot. I have the mini installation disc and it does not work. Would an OS upgrade cause it to not boot from an older version's install disc? I know the superdive (and RAM, logic board, etc.) is functional because I can run Linux of a LiveCD.

Unfortunately I can not find any old keyboards to use at the moment, so I can't immediately test whether or not a different keyboard would be recognized. When I looked up this problem, some people said that worked and others said it didn't.

The error I'm receiving without a LiveCD in is "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key."

Any ideas?

Mac mini stuck booting from Superdrive
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's a good one. You're correct in that resetting the PRAM should get you back to normal boot. The only thing I can suggest for now (until you find an older keyboard) is try an SMC reset. I doubt it will work but worth a try. Remove the Mini from the AC main and let it set for around 5 minutes. Then plug it back in and try again.

One other trick that may work... is to pull one memory module and try booting again. That will sometimes work with a MacBook and MBP with the same symptom. Again, worth a try. Let us know.

Thumbs up
    Short story: I plugged in a different keyboard and it worked.

Long story: I tried unplugging it from the main for an hour. It didn't work.

I opened it up, removed RAM, restarted it. No cigar.

I opened it up, removed the PRAM battery, let it sit for well over an hour, put it back together and started it back up - still didn't work.

I set up an appointment at the Apple Store, but grabbed a keyboard from a friend just to try it while I was in town today. Turns out, out of all the things that I tried, a standard Dell USB keyboard was the solution to my problem.

Now I have to cancel the Apple Store appointment - but I'm not complaining!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Is your Apple keyboard the newer Aluminum full sized USB one with the Numbered Keypad?

If so, they will not work on the Older Minis and even some older Intel Minis till it gets to OSX and that is why you had your issue! I found it out the hard way with my 2 G4 minis and my intel Mini C2d!

I have old Apple keyboards around just for that purpose!

Glad you got it sorted!

dtravis7 - It is the aluminum keyboard. I had assumed it was the keyboard that came with the computer, however it was a family member's computer not mine so I wasn't sure. I'm going to make sure they've got an old keyboard laying around from now on, just in case!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    The Minis do not come with a keyboard, just the computer. That was apples way of getting people to try OSX at a low price and provide their own keyboard and mouse and monitor. So it was probably purchased down the road somewhere.

I once was stuck out of town fixing a Mini and had to use a Logitech keyboard to get it to boot from the OSX DVD for that same reason.

Thread Information