Missing X11 file
    I recently converted from PC to Mac and still trying to figure things out. When I moved my files from my SeaGate to my Mac all seemed to go well, and i deleted things haven't used in forever. I think I messed up somewhere along the road because now I have a variety of files that say "Unix Executable File" and won't perform and I can't figure out why. Yesterday I received an error message that said it couldn't find this file (I was trying to install some Gimp patterns and brushes): /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Missing X11 file
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    It would help if you would tell us about your iMac and especially which version of OS X you're using?

i got it in April, but haven't had much time to learn so I'm still at the beginning. I've got a Mac OS X, version 10.6.8. If you need more info you may have to walk me through how to get it

Thanks

Missing X11 file
    Your Mac's Specs
    OK, thanks for posting back. The X11.app was included with Snow Leopard but it appears you may have accidentally deleted its library file and that's why it won't run. Rule of thumb with OS X and Unix in general.... don't delete anything especially dependency files such as libraries.

Without a backup, the only suggestion I have is to reinstall Snow Leopard. Fortunately, a Snow Leopard reinstall does not overwrite data, apps, and documents. It acts like a repair install of Windows in that it just overwrites and replaces system files. (Which is what you need.) After the reinstall, you'll need to run software update to bring it up to date.

I noticed you're using GIMP. Great app but a royal pain to install and get working right. I suggest instead you try Pixelmator from the Mac App store. Not free, but so much easier to use than the GIMP. Very Photoshop like.

sorry for the delay, last few days have been long. i'll have to dig up the stuff that came with my computer, i bought via apples website (i'm getting ready to move and i'm slowly packing stuff up). should something have come with my computer, so i know what i'm looking for?

Missing X11 file
    Your Mac's Specs
    A grey colored DVD set of two disks should have come with your machine packed in a smaller box within the original large box. Sometimes the box is marked "Everything Else" and has an Apple symbol on the front of it. My new iMac shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.X and that's how the disk set was packed with it. That's what you need in order to reinstall Snow Leopard.

Whatever you do, don't lose those disks once you find them.

Thread Information