Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    There's a big thread on the MacRumors forum about the Safari memory leak and I am experiencing it too. I have also had one Mission Control failure (the full-screen apps and desktop spaces at the top disappeared) and one Dock failure (I could not click onto an app through the Dock). Both were resolved with reboots.

This is a quirk I've found that I have not been able to identify:

It appears on only some WiFi connections and usually only when connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot. Right now it shows up on WiFi, which it had never done before. Does anyone have any ideas? Google and forum searches have left me scratching my head.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Can you click or right click it?
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by firehat View Post
    There's a big thread on the MacRumors forum about the Safari memory leak and I am experiencing it too. I have also had one Mission Control failure (the full-screen apps and desktop spaces at the top disappeared) and one Dock failure (I could not click onto an app through the Dock). Both were resolved with reboots.

This is a quirk I've found that I have not been able to identify:

It appears on only some WiFi connections and usually only when connected to my phone's WiFi hotspot. Right now it shows up on WiFi, which it had never done before. Does anyone have any ideas? Google and forum searches have left me scratching my head.
    Is it related to security settings? I don't have Lion installed so this is just a guess in the dark.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    is that for tethering?
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

It's not tethering but it first appeared when using hte mobile hotspot through the iPhone. It's now on my home wifi, which is a regular setup.

Neither ctrl+clicking it nor option+clicking it seems to reveal anything out of the ordinary.

For what it is worth, that symbol on my iPad replaces the wi-fi symbol when sharing my internet connection through bluetooth PAN from the MBP to the iPad. Oddly, since upgrading to Lion, I can no longer share my internet connection this way. Totally sucks because at work I can only have one device logged into the network at a time. Anyway, from my experience, I think the icon you are seeing is telling you that you are connecting over bluetooth. HTH

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Lack of ability to assign applications to spaces. Not sure why they'd remove such a useful feature.
    That is probably my biggest gripe I want that feature back.
    Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    Errm, you know you can still do that right?
    It's slightly backward but it works, go to the space you want the app in. Right click it's dock icon, and then under some menu near the bottom (I forgot what it's name is as I don't have Lion yet) you can assign the app to the space.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
    That is probably my biggest gripe I want that feature back.
    The feature still exists, but has been dumbed down and has had some meat trimmed off of it. There are a couple of ways to do it. The first involves opening a new space from Mission Control and then opening an app in it. Then go to said app in the dock and right click and then choose the option to assign to that space.

Or you can move an app to an existing space and do the same thing. It's a bit annoying to do it this way IMO, but it will still work. The dock action also gives the option to have an app in all windows (running app will follow you to each space)

Doug

Edit: Looks like McYukon beat me to it!

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    The feature still exists, but has been dumbed down and has had some meat trimmed off of it. There are a couple of ways to do it. The first involves opening a new space from Mission Control and then opening an app in it. Then go to said app in the dock and right click and then choose the option to assign to that space.

Or you can move an app to an existing space and do the same thing. It's a bit annoying to do it this way IMO, but it will still work. The dock action also gives the option to have an app in all windows (running app will follow you to each space)

Doug

BTW, when I had Lion still installed.. I just edited the plist. I'm a weirdo that way. Both solutions though are less than elegant compared to the previous method.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Quote Originally Posted by .HAWK. View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but when Mail is in fullscreen mode and you click the new message icon the new mail window slides up from the bottom of the screen. Cool, right? However, where's the address button? IOW, how do you select recipients others than typing names, etc., which is a royal pain.

Fullscreen shot. Notice there's no address book shortcut/toolbar button.

I've tried customizing the fullscreen toolbar but I can't seem to figure how.

Regular screen mode. Notice there is a address book shortcut/toolbar button.

Is this just me?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr77 View Post
    The only way Ive been able to do it is by using option/command/A for the address pane

Just played around with this and my alternative is to open the address book if you want to mail to someone in particular and if you want to email multiple people just cmd click each person then after all are highlighted doulbe click anyone that is highlighted and it well open a new fresh window with all the recipients in the to:field

Hope this helps

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

Doug

Ok Thanks I did not know this and it bothered me a lot.. Problem solved.. I like my adobe apps on a separate desktop.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
    I'm pretty annoyed that you can no longer use the fine audio / brightness adjustments anymore. Holding down Option+Shift and hitting volume up/down or brightness up/down no longer does half step adjustments. This is really irritating because I like to keep them at certain levels and now I can't do it. I have to fiddle with the darn volume slider.

I'm also annoyed with the way that Mission control works. In Snow Leopard I have one of my mouse buttons mapped to "Show All Windows" Expose option. This flys out the windows and I can quickly select another window. I use this ALL of the time! Now the only option is Mission Control. I mapped it and it works similarly but man it's a pain to have to bring up the entire mission control just to switch through a window real quick.

I want more control back!

I noticed quite a bit of slow down with a lot of things too, spaces and some pro apps like Motion 5 are really sluggish for some reason. They run perfectly fine in snow leopard.

I really dislike the "open where I left off" for the most part. It's alright for some apps, but not every dang app. It's irritating when I open a screenshot in preview and then close it and then open something else in preview, it'll open everything that was previously opened, PLUS what I'm trying to open at that time. So I have to get used to Command+W everything before I close the **** app.

I do have to say I love the new iTunes its so much faster, but it is funny how many things are really slow compared to SL, yet certain things are much faster at the same time. It's kind of stupid.

I do also like the selected item grouping and the badges showing how many files you have selected when dragging. That's very cool!

I wish they would have taken more time to fix all of this stuff before releasing it. There was no reason for them to really rush it. To me Lion feels rushed. They rushed to get it out the door because they put a date on its release.

Hopefully an update will come out shortly and it'll fix some of this stuff. For the time being though, I'm staying on SL. I rely too much on some of these apps that are slow in Lion.

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
    I noticed quite a bit of slow down with a lot of things too, spaces and some pro apps like Motion 5 are really sluggish for some reason. They run perfectly fine in snow leopard.
    Honestly I think for me almost all of my programs are faster in Lion than in SL.

[quoteI really dislike the "open where I left off" for the most part. It's alright for some apps, but not every dang app. It's irritating when I open a screenshot in preview and then close it and then open something else in preview, it'll open everything that was previously opened, PLUS what I'm trying to open at that time. So I have to get used to Command+W everything before I close the app. [/quote]

You can turn off the auto save and resume functionality under General in System Preferences. Just uncheck where it says "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps".

Just be aware that this affects all apps.

Or you can use an app called Resuminator to fine tune that per app.

I wish they would have taken more time to fix all of this stuff before releasing it. There was no reason for them to really rush it. To me Lion feels rushed. They rushed to get it out the door because they put a date on its release.
    Not sure why you're experiencing some of what you are because it's not happening to everyone as you can tell from reading what people are saying about Lion.

Ever new OS release has bugs, the'll eventually get fixed. You should just Google the Snow Leopard Guest Account wiping out home directories bug if you forgot what went on when 10.6 was released. In comparison, 10.7's bugs have been pretty tame.

Hopefully an update will come out shortly and it'll fix some of this stuff. For the time being though, I'm staying on SL. I rely too much on some of these apps that are slow in Lion.
    10.7.1 should be out soon since 10.7.2 is already in testing with developers.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

The Lion Quirks Thread
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
    I'm pretty annoyed that you can no longer use the fine audio / brightness adjustments anymore. Holding down Option+Shift and hitting volume up/down or brightness up/down no longer does half step adjustments. This is really irritating because I like to keep them at certain levels and now I can't do it. I have to fiddle with the darn volume slider.
    Send Apple your feedback. The more complaints they get, the more likely it will be brought back. Chances are, it simply got overlooked.
    Apple - Mac OS X - Feedback

I'm also annoyed with the way that Mission control works. In Snow Leopard I have one of my mouse buttons mapped to "Show All Windows" Expose option. This flys out the windows and I can quickly select another window. I use this ALL of the time! Now the only option is Mission Control. I mapped it and it works similarly but man it's a pain to have to bring up the entire mission control just to switch through a window real quick.
    I never used the All Windows option before because the windows were so small as to be near-useless, and disorganized, iirc. I like the way the windows are stacked by application now. They are larger and easier to pick out, and stacked but staggered so I can still pick the window I need from there. This is only really a problem if I have a lot of open windows and they are staggered tight together, and even then, it's more practical to CMD-TAB to the app I want, then use the Application Windows command to split them up.

Everything is faster for me. You may have something else going on. How much RAM do you have?[/QUOTE]

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information