Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Upgrading to Lion
    I was wondering if anyone has plans to upgrade there Macs at there company?

    I currently have several Macs running Leopard at work but they don't connect to the internet. Has anyone heard of a way I can upgrade these systems?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Thanks for the info. I don't have 20 Macs to upgrade though.

  4. #4
    Upgrading to Lion
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,048
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Rep Power
    53
    You're not going to be able to upgrade them from Leopard anyway. You must be running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on those machine before you can upgrade them.

  5. #5
    Upgrading to Lion
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    25,234
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, macOS Catalina,
    Rep Power
    32
    And then they must all be Intel processors and your original post does not supply this vital information.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  6. #6
    Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7

  7. #7
    Upgrading to Lion
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,189
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by bitlord View Post
    Ok, the Mac have Intel chips. Having to 1st upgrade to Snow Leopard is not something that makes sense. Most companies are upgrading there Windows machines from XP to Win7. Microsoft is not making them 1st upgrade to Vista. There must be a way to do a clean install from Leopard to Lion. If not then we will most likely not upgrade. If Apple stops supporting Leopard then we can always put UNIX/Linux on the computers or heaven forbid Win7
    That's the way it is this time. Lion requires Snow Leopard, which a majority of Mac users with Lion supported machine already are using SL so it's not a big deal for most.

    If you want to be so extreme as to wipe OS X off your Macs and switch to Windows 7, more power to you, but that seems a bit dramatic since upgrading to SL and Lion is still less than half the price of Windows 7 upgrade license.

    To be quite honest, a comment like that just says to me you don't like having to support Macs anyway.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  8. #8
    schweb,
    I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

    Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

    I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

    Sorry if I upset you.

  9. #9
    Upgrading to Lion
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,736
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by bitlord View Post
    schweb,
    I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.
    I don't think that's gonna happen. They rarely look back on such decisions.

  10. #10
    Upgrading to Lion
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,189
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by bitlord View Post
    schweb,
    I am a Solaris (UNIX) admin by trade. I really like Macs and most of the user of the Macs at work are UNIX /Linux people. I hope in the future Apple changes it's mind and allows upgrades without the use of the App store.

    Changing form the Mac OS to UNIX/Linux is free. As for windows I can buy a copy of windows from Microsoft for just $10 for personal use though my company. Corporate discounts are nice.

    I like the Mac and don't mind supporting them on the desktop. Plus most of the User are admins like me so it is really easy. Though we don't have any many that touch the Internet at this time. If SL was installed on the Mac the App Store is not an approved app for are systems at this time.

    Sorry if I upset you.
    Now I think you're just trolling since you didn't bother to apparently read either of the links provided to you about corporate installs.

    Enjoy your linux...bye.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion with a bootable Mac OS Installer
    By turtlegurl in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-25-2015, 05:41 PM
  2. Upgrading to Mountain Lion, downgrading lion & snow leopard?
    By budcarl in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM
  3. Upgrading from 10.6.8 to 10.7 Lion
    By turkydust in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 06:35 AM
  4. Upgrading to Mountain Lion transferring my set up from Lion
    By Scoobie Newbie in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM
  5. Upgrading from Lion to Lion Server???
    By sierraphotog in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •