Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: OSX Maintenance

OSX Maintenance
    Hi Guys,

Im running an iMac with OSX 10.6.7

Ive had the machine about a year now and the performance is now really slow. I was told by the Mac store not to install any security/anti-virus etc when I bought it.

At start up it takes about 3 mins or more and I can hear the machine searching away for ages.

Can anyone suggest what programs I can run to find out what my problems are are?

OSX Maintenance
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    It depends - is the startup the only thing that is acting this slow?

Head into System Preferences - Startup - select your OS X disc and reboot - reboot a couple of times and see what change that makes in your boot time.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

Its not just start up, things just seem much slower overall. Ive recently bought the latest 13" Macbook Pro and it seems so much quicker.

Ive also just realised that the Firewall has never been activated. I would really like to run some programs that could check up on the overall health of my iMac and check for any nasties that may be in there.

OSX Maintenance
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

OSX Maintenance
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Start with the suggestion above. I've seen that item take a minute plus off boot times.

Next up:
    What do have loading at startup?
    Check in Sys Pref - Accounts - Startup
    Remove anything you don't need/want there.

Then try Onyx.
    Make sure you download the Snow Leopard version - pass on the beta version.
    I usually recommend starting with Onyx on the Automation tab and checking off everything under Maintenance and Cleaning.
    Macs do require a little maintenance from time to time, but nothing like what you did on your Win machine. Most folks probably should not need to run the cleaning function of Onyx more than once every 3-6 months.
    I only run it when I notice some slow down.

Next, how full is your hard drive? That is, what size is the drive and how much free space do you have left. My typical recommendation is if you're hitting 15% free space, sorry, you're going to notice your system running slower. Personally, I see mine slow down at 30% free space. If you're hitting 15-20% free space, imho, it's time to dump stuff off that drive or upgrade the drive size.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    Many member ask the question about viruses and malware on the Mac and in addition to using the search function at the top of the forum, you'll find almost all your answers here:

Official Antivirus, Malware, and Firewall FAQ
    Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Start with the suggestion above. I've seen that item take a minute plus off boot times.

Next up:
    What do have loading at startup?
    Check in Sys Pref - Accounts - Startup
    Remove anything you don't need/want there.

Then try Onyx.
    Make sure you download the Snow Leopard version - pass on the beta version.
    I usually recommend starting with Onyx on the Automation tab and checking off everything under Maintenance and Cleaning.
    Macs do require a little maintenance from time to time, but nothing like what you did on your Win machine. Most folks probably should not need to run the cleaning function of Onyx more than once every 3-6 months.
    I only run it when I notice some slow down.

Next, how full is your hard drive? That is, what size is the drive and how much free space do you have left. My typical recommendation is if you're hitting 15% free space, sorry, you're going to notice your system running slower. Personally, I see mine slow down at 30% free space. If you're hitting 15-20% free space, imho, it's time to dump stuff off that drive or upgrade the drive size.
    I couldnt see anything in start up although I know I have Skype which does this.

My hard drive is just under 50% full.

Ive downloaded OnyX and am running it now. Thanks for your help Bob, I will report back soon.

Alan

Thanks also for your help schweb.

OSX Maintenance
    Your Mac's Specs
    13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
    Slow down like this is also a sign of impending drive failure. Make sure you have a good back up and check your smart status in disk utility.

Yes that is a grizzlycorn

Smart status is fine in my case. But it still takes more than 3 minutes for boot up even after a complete repartition, erase or whatever and a fresh snow leopard install. Particularly if software update is done, then the delay is more. Activity monitor does not indicate anything wrong. So i guess some machines have these problems without any particular reason. In my case i have run onyx, Tech tool pro and Tinker Tool system. All of them say that the tests have passed but the screen remains blue for a long time when you restart. I am sometimes just fed up.

Thread Information