Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

HELP Software update cleared mac preferences, browser history, browser bookmarks, ...
    Dear all,

I just did a regular software update for several programs via 'Software Update...' on my macbook. After the update my macbook was back to the initial settings as they were when I purchased it. Although all my files and downloaded programs (such as chrome, spotify, ...) are still there I lost all my history and bookmarks in my Firefox, Safari and Chrome browser. Does anybody know if there is any way to recover my bookmarks (definitely for chrome!)?!

HELP Software update cleared mac preferences, browser history, browser bookmarks, ...
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Welcome to Mac-Forums chtefke
    Do you backup your system using Time Machine or similar? If so then restore to before you updated the software and then update software one update at a time.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    And you didn't change your home folder name by chance?
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Unfortunately don't have a backup..

Also didn't change the home folder name. I just clicked 'Software Update...' in the main drop down menu, it generated a list of things for which there was an update and I clicked 'Install'. After the update the computer restarted and I was back to the original settings and lost history, bookmarks, ... Didn't do anything special, just did the update as I always do it..

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    What updates were there? If you don't remember, go to System Preferences > Software Update > Installed Software and take a look at the updates for the last date.

Your info may still be around - updates shouldn't affect applications and especially those that aren't part of OS X (such as Chrome). Go to Home > Library > Application Support > Google > Chrome > Default. Is there a Bookmarks file there?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

The updates that were done are
    - Security Update 2011-002
    - iTunes
    - Remote Desktop Client Update
    - Safari
    - Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 9

Had a look in the default folder, but nothing there..

Your Mac's Specs
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    None of those should have deleted any files that pertain to third party applications. Unfortunately, it looks like your Chrome profile (the contents of the Default folder) has been deleted. Unless they're in the Trash, you might be out of luck unless you have some luck with file recovery software.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Ok, but it doesn't make any sense to me that everything went back to default, including my general language preference, wallpaper, dock, ... after these updates..

Ok, I found the problem. Just before doing the updates I accidentally put the 'library' folder in the 'documents' folder. I immediately tried reverting it, but because something was in use I couldn't do it at the time. Forgot about it afterwards and did the update. What is the best thing to do now without messing something up?

(Found the bookmarks I really needed btw!)

Thread Information