Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning OS X

Learning OS X
    Hi everyone!

I recently purchased an ibook G4 with OS X 10.5.7 installed and have since found out I cannot upgrade to Snow Leopard due to hardware incompatibilities.

Now, I bought the laptop to learn everything I can about OS X as I am an IT professional and wish to further my knowledge of OS X (So far I've only had to deal with Windows and Linux distros).

Will learning about OS X by using OS X 10.5.7 be enough to grasp a firm understanding of the inner workings of a Mac OS?

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ants473 View Post
    Will learning about OS X by using OS X 10.5.7 be enough to grasp a firm understanding of the inner workings of a Mac OS?
    Technically speaking...you can upgrade to OS 10.5.8 for free via "Software Update".

Otherwise (IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Learning OS X

Your Mac's Specs
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    This is a great start.
    Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics
    and this book
    Amazon.com: Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual (9780596529529): David Pogue: Books

As far as a more specific understand of the OS, I think it takes a bit of time playing around with it.
    The information you will find here on MF is invaluable, but I think that link and that book are really good to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be sure to check out those two links too.

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Welcome Ants and to answer in short Yes it will be ... Dont know if you have your sources but just a few to get you started ...

Mac Switching 101
    Mac 101
    MacTricksAndTips ~ 100 Essential Mac Apps
    Mac OS Keyboard Shortcuts
    Mac OS Menu Bar Items
    Mac downloads ~ Apple

So there is a bit of reading there. As i goes for Apps we dont know what you are into, but ill list a few that most people have and you can look them up in the 100 Essential Apps URL i gave ...

Adium ~ Chat Client
    Growl Notifications
    SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner ~ Both make bootable copies of your HD
    HandBrake ~ Video Converting
    Burn ~ As it says A Burning App
    Transmission ~ p2p client
    Skitch ~ Screen capture and more
    VLC ~ Video player that plays most codecs and does a lot more
    Perian and Flip4Mac Makes watching certain codecs easier ... This is Essential IMHO
    Audacity ~ Play with Music App
    CandyBar ~ Mods all your icons, and dock
    MainMenu or Oynx ~ Does the same as Disk utility only more thorough
    Quicksilver ~ Works like Spotlight but way way better and does so much more
    StuffitExpander ~ Opens Zip and rar files and more
    Lil Snitch ~ Firewall type App that looks at your incoming and outgoing traffic
    and last but certainly not least .....
    AppTrap ~ Once installed it sits in System Preferences and deletes all associated files of anything that you put in the trash ...

Should keep you busy for a while lol
    Hope it helps some

Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

I've had Mac for 25 years, and just upgraded to a new MBP and the latest OS, 10.6.4

Was running 10.5, and it's fine and you can learn a lot for sure. But I really like the upgrades in 10.6, particularly with the one button trackpad on the Macbooks and the options it offers—tapping, swipping... Love how fast I can compute and surf now, really feel this was one of the best Mac upgrades ever...

(more than ever, I really wonder how PC users can use those Windows mouses and pads with multiple buttons and and scroll wheels...?!)

Learning OS X

Your Mac's Specs
    13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Technically speaking...you can upgrade to OS 10.5.8 for free via "Software Update".

Otherwise (IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.

- Nick
    Except probably everything an IT professional should know about, like the underlying tech upgrades! Granted you don't really witness them in action, so yea, you can learn enough, though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard, and I'm surprised as an "IT Professional" you weren't aware that the older powerPC chips wouldn't run the newest OS...

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkestRitual View Post
    ...though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard...
    Yes this probably would have been the better route if the OP was really focused on learning OS X. Maybe the OP came across this G4 iBook really cheap...and is taking a more casual low-cost approach.

Just a thought,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
    As a 2 year Mac convert, Leopard is perfect to start out with. Imho... I still haven't found much of a reason to switch to Snow Leopard yet though its only $29.
    OS 10.5.8 is still perfect for me.
    MBP 11,3 | Logic Pro X | Ableton Live 9 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPC2000XL, X7000, MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, SP-808, TR-707, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 & Willzyx | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 4000+ vinyl records

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    T
    (IMHO) you can learn quite a bit about OS X from OS 10.5.8. There really aren't "TONS" of differences from the latest OS of 10.6.5.
    10.6 was a "minor upgrade" to OSX. Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.

Learning OS X

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    10.6 was a "minor upgrade" to OSX. Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.
    10.6 was a major upgrade in terms of performance. This computer with Leopard on it was much slower than this computer with 10.6 - it's been a noticable difference.

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Apple concentrated on efficiency and performance, rather than adding a bunch of new features. So 10.5 and 10.6 are very similar.
    I agree with this ........ BUT

10.6 was a major upgrade in terms of performance. This computer with Leopard on it was much slower than this computer with 10.6 - it's been a noticable difference.
    I agree more with this. When i had my White MB and i upgraded from X.5 to X.6 the system performance difference was so utterly noticeable ........
    I would have payed 5x more for SL if i had of known it had that much better performance than Leopard .....
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Except probably everything an IT professional should know about, like the underlying tech upgrades! Granted you don't really witness them in action, so yea, you can learn enough, though really you should have gone with an intel mac so you could use snow leopard, and I'm surprised as an "IT Professional" you weren't aware that the older powerPC chips wouldn't run the newest OS...
    Thanks for your post. I'm a little confused as to what part of my question was puzzling. I had already made known that I wish to "further my knowledge of OS X (So far I've only had to deal with Windows and Linux distros)."

I've had NO experience on them. I am purely in this to learn. At present my job does not require extensive knowledge of OS X, so I decided to go cheap and pick up a iBook G4 for $300.

Anyway, again, thanks everyone for the advice, I'll be sure to pop back into the forums if I need any more help!

Learning OS X
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I meant "minor upgrade" only in reference to new features. Apple apparently agrees; look at the price.

Learning OS X

Your Mac's Specs
    I hear ya, but research, my friend! Research!

Actually, 300 bucks is a nice pick up, though. Definitely will help ya learn a bit.

Thread Information