Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Uninstalling programs
    Hi friends,

Solaris comes with two very useful programs: pkgadd and pkgrm. Pkgadd installs software packages, pkgrm deletes them. Pkgrm makes the computer ask whether you still want to delete a program when that program depends on one or more other programs. If you say "yes," then, despite the dependencies, the machine will still delete what you ask it to delete.

So I'm curious about two things: One, does OS X include a program that does what pkgrm does? Two, I've heard that OS X gives each program its own directory. If that's true, are that directory and its contents self-contained enough that to uninstall a directory's program, I can merely remove that directory? I would hate to delete a program when other programs in other directories needed it.

Thanks.

Bill

Uninstalling programs
    You don't need any elaborate installation/removal process for Mac OS X. Installation is as simple as copying the application (a directory really) to the Applications directory, uninstallation is just moving the application from the Application directory to the trash.

A lot of applications have configuration files that they usually keep elseswhere, but these are very small files that shouldn't bother anything.

If you want to uninstall the application and associated configuration files as well..applications like AppCleaner will handle that for ya, and it's free to boot..

Regards

Thanks, my friend, for the excellent news. I've just installed AppCleaner. I could learn to love OS X and my iMac.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You don't need any elaborate installation/removal process for Mac OS X. Installation is as simple as copying the application (a directory really) to the Applications directory, uninstallation is just moving the application from the Application directory to the trash.

Uninstalling programs
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Some apps (like Office for Mac) come with an uninstaller (Remove Office, in that case) that you should use if you are going to reinstall. Otherwise, the reinstall could run into problems.

Thread Information