Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unhappy I thought the mac would be different :(
    I made the switch to Apple earlier this year ('phones 'pods 'macs, you name it) and the pride of the lot is my 24" imac, which I love more than life itself.

Now it was fine for 5 months, and now all of a sudden it's (dare I say it) worse than any of my PCs ever were. It takes 15 minutes to boot up, then 20 mins to open Safari, even longer for Firefox. And everything (and I mean everything) is broken up by five minute pauses with the colour spinny wheel thing.

Am a little upset, but trying to be open minded - I'm in IT, and if this were a PC I would at least know how to fix it! Could anyone please tell me what I need to do to fix this! (And no, I haven't got a time machine with a patiently waiting backup - that was my next planned purchase!)...

Yours, trying to keep the faith...

I thought the mac would be different :(
    Your Mac's Specs
    rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
    Maybe this will help you a little bit: Is Slow Mac Performance annoying you? Learn how-to solve it and get a fast Mac again

If you look at the bottom of the article where it suggests downloading Onyx. Try that and it might help.

Also start up Activity Monitor and check if you have any strange applications running taking upp all of your computers resources.

todd51
    My lord! 15 minutes to boot up??!?

Did you actually time that or are you fibbing a little?

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzar View Post
    I made the switch to Apple earlier this year ('phones 'pods 'macs, you name it) and the pride of the lot is my 24" imac, which I love more than life itself.

Now it was fine for 5 months, and now all of a sudden it's (dare I say it) worse than any of my PCs ever were. It takes 15 minutes to boot up, then 20 mins to open Safari, even longer for Firefox. And everything (and I mean everything) is broken up by five minute pauses with the colour spinny wheel thing.

Am a little upset, but trying to be open minded - I'm in IT, and if this were a PC I would at least know how to fix it! Could anyone please tell me what I need to do to fix this! (And no, I haven't got a time machine with a patiently waiting backup - that was my next planned purchase!)...

Yours, trying to keep the faith...
    That simply is not normal. Exactly how old is this iMac? Buy it new or used? Try Onyx's utilities as suggested, but you may well have problems deeper than what it can resolve.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    That is completely out of the ordinary for a mac. Don't judge from your iMac that macs aren't good, because they are. You're just having a RARE problem.
    Chris K.

Thanks all - am feeling a little reassured! In answer to questions:

No, I'm not fibbing a little I've found out it cycles through several different shades of blue before hitting my actual desktop - sitting on each for a couple of minutes.

It was a brand new imac, purchased mid-Jan from the proper Apple store in Westfield, London. Apple Retail Store (United Kingdom) - White City I have the receipt

I will try the links and Onyx, so thanks for these suggestions. Just hope it will let me run them!

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Also since that sounds beyond slow and not even close to normal, run the Apple Hardware Test just in case. Do you have the OSX DVD that came with your iMac? If so boot and hold the D key right after the Startup Sound. Run the extended test once it gets to the AHT screen. With it taking that long to boot or do anything I am wondering if maybe the Hard Drive has issues?

The only Mac running OSX I have ever owned that took that long to boot was a g4 Mini and the Hard Drive was dying.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I'm curious to know how much free drive space you have also. If your drive is very nearly filled to capacity, that could have an impact.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I'm curious to know how much free drive space you have also. If your drive is very nearly filled to capacity, that could have an impact.
    Yeah but 15 minutes? It shouldn't even take longer than a few minutes to boot up.

I only have 20 gigs left on this HDD and I boot up in 22 seconds.

Your Mac's Specs
    2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
    Do you have applecare? perhaps a call to the helpline is in order.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Yeah but 15 minutes? It shouldn't even take longer than a few minutes to boot up.

I only have 20 gigs left on this HDD and I boot up in 22 seconds.
    20 gigs is plenty. If he was down to something ridiculous like 20 megs now....

------
    ------

Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    You bought it in January. You still have 6 months left on your one year warranty. Go straight to the store where you bought it and get that looked over. That is NOT normal. But as others have said, if you have zero space left on your HD, it might be part of the issue.

What have you been doing w/your iMac since you bought it ? What apps do you run, do you download a lot of things, do you move huge files around from place to place on the HD, and more importantly.. do you put huge files onto the HD and then remove them ? This might cause serious fragmentation of the HD if there is little room left on it in the first place.

If none of the above apply... take that sucker to the Apple store.

Doug

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    You bought it in January. You still have 6 months left on your one year warranty. Go straight to the store where you bought it and get that looked over. That is NOT normal. But as others have said, if you have zero space left on your HD, it might be part of the issue.

What have you been doing w/your iMac since you bought it ? What apps do you run, do you download a lot of things, do you move huge files around from place to place on the HD, and more importantly.. do you put huge files onto the HD and then remove them ? This might cause serious fragmentation of the HD if there is little room left on it in the first place.

If none of the above apply... take that sucker to the Apple store.
    Doug makes an good point here. Contrary to popular belief, OS X can get fragmented, and severely if your habits are as described. Although the OS does defrag files up to a certain size, this is by no means foolproof. My old Powerbook went from 15 minutes boot times to about a minute or so after all else failed and I defragged it.

------
    ------

15 minutes! I would definitely suspect the hard drive. Boot it up in verbose mode (⌘+V as it starts) and see what's going on.
    There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
    Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

Your Mac's Specs
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    My guess is your harddrive is on its way out. I'd try to back up essential files and get it looked at.

Thread Information