Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

strange named file appears in my trash along with hundreds of music files
    I have a MB Pro running the latest update of OS X. A strange named file (the word "null" written several times taking the form of a back-slash and an "accented" letter "o") appears in my trash and apparently drags hundreds of music files to the trash, none of them can be deleted.

Snapshot is attached ¿Has this happened to anybody?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    I wonder if there's a workaround for this. That \o file is an alias I note. Try dragging it to the desktop and right click it to locate the original, both of which you should then isolate.

Next: drag all the music files in the Trash to a dedicated folder on the desktop.Put both \o files back into the Trash, and empty (hold down Option as you select Empty Trash).

Repair permissions, preferably using OnyX, but if it's urgent, you could use Disk Utility.

If that won't work, hopefully someone conversant with Terminal will advise you (or Google for instructions) on how to use that avenue to get rid of the unwanted files.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacbookPro3,1/OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
    Quote Originally Posted by ffmac View Post
    I have a MB Pro running the latest update of OS X. A strange named file (the word "null" written several times taking the form of a back-slash and an "accented" letter "o") appears in my trash and apparently drags hundreds of music files to the trash, none of them can be deleted.

Snapshot is attached ¿Has this happened to anybody?
    yes to me too. keeps reappearing on my trash. only way to remove it is by manually dragging it back to desktop or get info; it disappears only to reappear again and again..and again..
    i like my dock nice and tidy so i can't seem to keep my trash bin icon 'empty'.

tried 'option' key as well while emptying but does not work. i do not run Onyx, however i run Main menu. still its there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    I note that the mystery file has either a 1903 or 1904 date. Bells of history are ringing here, but I can't quite recall the relevance. I think the file relates to the deep, inner recesses of the System (or OS). It's redundant, which is why it's getting chucked into Trash. As to why it's being regenerated I'm at a loss to explain. I note that no music files are being dumped into trash in omarbon's case.

To ffmac, where are those music files coming from?

I still recommend OnyX as the best system utility, as it goes deeper into the root than other utilities like MainMenu.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacbookPro3,1/OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    I note that the mystery file has either a 1903 or 1904 date. Bells of history are ringing here, but I can't quite recall the relevance. I think the file relates to the deep, inner recesses of the System (or OS). It's redundant, which is why it's getting chucked into Trash. As to why it's being regenerated I'm at a loss to explain. I note that no music files are being dumped into trash in omarbon's case.

To ffmac, where are those music files coming from?

I still recommend OnyX as the best system utility, as it goes deeper into the root than other utilities like MainMenu.
    i'll tryout onyx. this may sound a bit 'PCish' but should i be worried about these files? i.e. harmful, slowing down the system..

Your Mac's Specs
    The direct answer to your question is "unlikely". The MacOS is renowned for its security. You will know if there's a significant difference in the way your computer is operating.

The system is rejecting the trashed file(s) as irrelevant. Initially I thought it might be to do with the OS 9 sector of the MacOS (Tiger) but I think you're both running 10.5 so that idea doesn't hold.

Thread Information