Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    I have changed the icon of the notes in Preview - from the original "bubble looking" Note to a white square, bigger in size.

    I did this a long time ago, and now I cannot find the post I found back then. I would like to un-do-it.
    Namely, have the standard Note icon inside Preview, which a certain degree of transparency so that one can still read the text below.
    Notes_Icons_inPreview.png

    Thank you in advance!
    irupe

  2. #2
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,811
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    Welcome to our forums.

    Which version of macOS are you currently running? Later versions of macOS do not allow icon change of the Apple built in default apps. You may be able to do it by turning off SIP but that's not a recommended method to use.

  3. #3
    Dear Chscag,

    thank you for your welcome and comments. I have already sinned of "newby" by failing to provide OS data.
    I'm using OS Mojave 10.14.6 and Preview version is 10.1

    I would appreciate help to go back to default icon of the notes in Preview. Should be possible, I hope!
    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

    Which version of macOS are you currently running? Later versions of macOS do not allow icon change of the Apple built in default apps. You may be able to do it by turning off SIP but that's not a recommended method to use.

  4. #4
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,811
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    Okay, thanks for telling us which version of macOS you're running. Now, we need to define which notes you're referring to. Did you use the "Notes.app" to write those notes to Preview?

  5. #5
    No, it is all in the same app. Within the preview app, tools, annotate “note”.


    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Okay, thanks for telling us which version of macOS you're running. Now, we need to define which notes you're referring to. Did you use the "Notes.app" to write those notes to Preview?

  6. #6
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    Rod's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 12, 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Posts
    5,765
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Rep Power
    14
    Are you referring to the "old" method of pasting the file icon from the Get Info screen into Preview and editing it then pasting it back into the Get Info screen?
    If so then I'm sad to say it no longer works due to SIP (System Integrity Protection). I believe there is a workaround but it's risky and I have not tried it since High Sierra. I used to use this method to just change the colour of Folders or External HD's but 10 years or more ago you could get packages of custom folder, drive and file icons, even then it was risky, those days are long gone. Today Apple has made it almost impossible unless you use an app like Folder Templates HD which will not do what you want.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

  7. #7
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    59,811
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by irupe View Post
    No, it is all in the same app. Within the preview app, tools, annotate “note”.
    Okay again, thanks. The new "note" in the latest version of Preview is a square yellow rectangle similar to the white rectangle you show above. Sorry, but I have no idea how to change that back except to download a new version of Preview.

    The problem with downloading a new version of Preview is that the app is locked by the system and can not be removed and downloaded. The only way to do that is to download a new version of Mojave. You can try that if you like. Downloading Mojave and installing it over itself should cause no problems nor should it remove any of your data. Of course be sure to make a backup first.

  8. #8
    Hello Rod,

    thank you for your message. I guess I am not referring to this since I do not know this "Get Info" screen you are referring to.

    I just wanted the Note "Icon" in the Preview, over the PDF, back to its default state.
    I really did not think it was such a huge issue when I changed it. This was not so long ago, maybe 3 months ago top. Using the same OS and same Preview version.

    I do not loose my hopes that somebody knows, It was not extremely complicated back then I just forgot how or where i found the explanation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Are you referring to the "old" method of pasting the file icon from the Get Info screen into Preview and editing it then pasting it back into the Get Info screen?
    If so then I'm sad to say it no longer works due to SIP (System Integrity Protection). I believe there is a workaround but it's risky and I have not tried it since High Sierra. I used to use this method to just change the colour of Folders or External HD's but 10 years or more ago you could get packages of custom folder, drive and file icons, even then it was risky, those days are long gone. Today Apple has made it almost impossible unless you use an app like Folder Templates HD which will not do what you want.

  9. #9
    Preview Notes - how to change icon of the Notes in Preview back to original?
    IWT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2009
    Location
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Posts
    6,322
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Rep Power
    21
    I do not know this "Get Info" screen you are referring to.
    Just to assist on that one point.

    On all Apple apps and virtually all third party apps - indeed on a photograph or a File, even an External Hard Drive (EHD) - you have two ways of accessing "Get Info".

    1. Right Click on the item and, from the drop down, choose "Get Info".

    2. Click to highlight the item and choose the Keyboard shortcut - Command plus i (i as in information)

    As the name suggests, this will bring up all the information available about that item. In many cases, you can alter that info to something of your choice.

    Ian
    Ian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Notes not syncing with Goggle Notes (Keep Notes)
    By rlm45 in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-09-2020, 02:58 PM
  2. Preview deletes notes
    By Agpilot in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2015, 08:19 PM
  3. How to change Notes back
    By J-Money in forum macOS - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM
  4. My preview in the finder is of original photo before edit and i want to get it back
    By thegerm_germ in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
  5. How to change the transparent color of the Finder icon preview
    By remain in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •