Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    How to take screen shot of part of webpage in png format
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
    Firefox dev tools has built in functionality. If you don't like the file type saved, you can export to your clipboard. Then past in preview and save to whatever you like.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 2.40.03 PM.png
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Quote Originally Posted by giulio View Post
    Firefox dev tools has built in functionality. If you don't like the file type saved, you can export to your clipboard. Then past in preview and save to whatever you like.
    I just use the right click option in Firefox - no need to go to dev tools.

The problem I thought I had in Firefox was that it saved in jpg, ie a compressed image file rather than png or tiff - converting from jpg to png wouldn't make it a true png file with no compression.
    But then, when I checked the resolution of the screen shot, it turns out to be no different for a jpg or png file - so my initial reason to want a png file to get higher resolution turns out to be a red herring.

One option Firefox offers that I have not seen with any other browser, is that one can select part of a long web page and take a screen shot of that.
    Many web pages I visit have a body of information in the centre with ads on the left and right - being able to select just the centre portion of the complete web page and taking a screen shot of that saves quite a bit of time if one needs to do that often.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mini on steroids; 2011 iMac, 2012 MB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdemers View Post
    I've had this problem, and my solution has been to set the page size to something large, like 11x72 (good for 6 normal pages), and then use the print command to save as PDF.
    Open in Preview, export as png, and you're done.
    That should have been 8.5x72, not 11x72.

hi from mac you no need any browsers to add ons to take a screenshot ( selective)... Its very simple press "COMMAND +SHIFT+4" then drag the area you wanted to take a screenshot. it will be automatically stored in desktop as .png file.

^^^
    That only lets you select a part of what is on the screen - doesn't address the original problem

Totally agree. Full Page Screen Cature extension is very easy to use in Chrome.
    Sometimes, I run a full page screenshot and then edit the screenshot with my photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    ^^^
    That only lets you select a part of what is on the screen - doesn't address the original problem

Do you have an option in your System Preferences -> Display to set the resolution at a higher level that may allow you to see the complete webpage???

Don't suppose that using command + "-" (minus) would shrink the page small enough to capture all that you want, but just maybe.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by kimkim88 View Post
    Totally agree. Full Page Screen Cature extension is very easy to use in Chrome.
    Sometimes, I run a full page screenshot and then edit the screenshot with my photoshop.
    I'm not sure why this came up again more than a month after the last reply.

But just as an update - FireFox seems to have changed the software again with recent updates.
    Now I'm getting png images again for any size screen shot.

And for me, time is valuable, so I prefer to be able to select the option of a web page I want to capture in one operation rather than the whole web page and then start editing.

Thread Information