Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: softonic?

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    softonic?
    Hello once again, trouble here with a 'reminder tag' for 'two notifications' on Softonic; it has only been happening these last seven to ten days, it comes up every time I 'wake my iMac and on a blank screen. Through careful searching I have found out "it is part of iTunes"? I neither need or use iTunes, I have other methods of listening to music with much better sound than my iMac. I have used my very limited knowledge of computers to search for the software - softonic but without any success at all. The only things I have found are as follows - it is part of iTunes and can mean trouble of all sorts (malware etc). I have searched with MalwareBytes and get an all clear report from them/it also reports of a softonic toolbar causing trouble??? I am sorry to be so vague but I am not very 'with it' on computers of any sort and can end up doing daft things if I am not very careful!!!

Am I worrying without reason about softonic or is there cause for concern?

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Softonic most certainly is not a part of iTunes. You may have some adware on your system. Download DetectX (see my signature) and see what it turns up. It's free to use for home users.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Lifeisabeach, thank you for your comments, I have downloaded DetectX and I have run it - "nothing found" was the result! I am at a complete loss as to what to do next as two good 'search software' bits of software cannot find it! There must be some software that can find the blasted thing as I am at a complete loss.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Softonic isn't exactly harmful merely annoying at this point. It used to be a decent place to download software but now ads this junk to their downloads. Try this and see if it gets rid of things for you. These directions are for Safari but should be similar for other
    web browser:

1. Start Safari and open its preferences )from the Safari menu or press command ,).
    2. At top of the window that appears click the Websites tab (Globe).
    3. Search the list for Softonic and change the setting to Deny.
    4. Click in the General tab (first one) and make sure the settings are as you want them then close the window.
    5. Quit Safari then launch it again to see if things are fixed.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    HELLO slydude, Prosperous New Year to you and yours. I have followed your instructions and searched the list but Softonic is not on it! It looks like I have picked up a bit of a 'bar steward' on this one, can I just ignore it and hope it will go away?

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    It will not go away. Softonic puts this crap-ware in any download from them. Looks like they have a new trick. You can try opening Notifications (the icon in the upper right corner of the screen with three dots and three lines, then clear all of the notifications you have received. See if that makes it go away. If not, you may have to go searching the hard way.
    Jake

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Here's to a prosperous New year to you as well.

Have you added any new software recently?

If those messages pop up again, post back and we'll take another swing that things.

Don't, in the name of Queen and country, take a cricket bat to the Mac. While that would be effective it's also quite costly, Besides, spouses frown on such behavior.

Kevin Durant

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Here's to a prosperous New year to you as well.

Have you added any new software recently?

If those messages pop up again, post back and we'll take another swing that things.

Don't, in the name of Queen and country, take a cricket bat to the Mac. While that would be effective it's also quite costly, Besides, spouses frown on such behavior.

Not to mention the abuse of a perfectly good cricket bat!
    Jake

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Not to mention the abuse of a perfectly good cricket bat!
    Kevin Durant

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    It will not go away. Softonic puts this crap-ware in any download from them. Looks like they have a new trick. You can try opening Notifications (the icon in the upper right corner of the screen with three dots and three lines, then clear all of the notifications you have received. See if that makes it go away. If not, you may have to go searching the hard way.
    Hi Jake, I have followed your suggestion and it would appear to have worked but I will have to wait until morning when I wake the iMac from it's normal slumber. Many thanks, take care and will speak soon with confirmation. Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Did you look in your browsers Preferences > Notifications?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi there Ferrari, I have just completed that task and all appears well but as stated will have to wait until the morning when I wake the iMac from it's slumbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Did you look in your browsers Preferences > Notifications?

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Softonic still there!
    Good morning every one, even though I received some super advice yesterday, (which I followed), softonic notifications are still appearing when I wake my iMac from overnight sleep. I am running Mojave 10.14.6 now, having downloaded it a couple of weeks ago (I think). I will have to keep a log of what I download in the future as my memory is none existent now I am getting on a bit in years. It has been mentioned that "If it is still there I will have to search deeper" (whatever that means). I am at a complete loss as to what to do next; that being so I request some more help please in trying to find softonic on my iMac.

I do have back up in the shape of Time Machine and SuperDuper (on two external hard drives) but do not have a clue as to how to use either bit of software!!! I am NOT computer literate by the biggest stretch of the imagination so please be gentle with me (I bruise easily by the way). Any help will be greatly appreciated this way, and I dread having to take the iMac into town as I use an electric wheelchair to get around when in the city of Derby. Thanks to all who have have suggestions.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Good morning Keith. We combined both of your threads since they are the same subject.

It's a bit late here in the "colonies". Someone will get back to you in the morning.

Regards.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by sllewk View Post
    , and I dread having to take the iMac into town as I use an electric wheelchair to get around when in the city of Derby.
    You and I out to get together and have a few wheelchair races. We might be able to make a quid or two in side bets. At the very least we'll give the wives a good scare.

Seriously, I'm going to have to think a bit to see if I can think where the remains of that software could be.

@Charlie, Jake, et al If I understand Keith's situation correctly the problematic notifications are occurring when he wakes the machine from sleep. If the Mac is asleep and Keith wakes it at say 8:00 wouldn't that show in the logs along with the event that triggers the problem message.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information