Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: softonic?

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Aw, must’ve missed that on the other 4 pages.

Rod, this is a long thread. He's tried Malwarebytes, DetectX. Nothing. We tried to get a screenshot of what he is seeing, but he couldn't get the images to load. I think he tried FAF, but Softonic hides under names not related to Softonic, so that isn't going to succeed. Etrecheck was suggested several times, but again we don't have the report, if it was run.

What I suspect is that he downloaded something from Softonic and has something installed that is producing the nagging "notifications" he is seeing. From his descriptions I think it is just advertising from Softonic coming in through either his browser or an installed app. Could also be email, or texts from Softonic. We simply don't know exactly what is the vector for Softonic to nag him this way.

The really annoying thing is that this is probably a ten minute fix, if we can just see what is actually happening to his system! I know how frustrating it must be to him to have the issue and to be dependent on others to get it sorted.
    Jake

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    MacInWin,/Users/keithwells/Desktop/Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 15.06.51.png. I am so sorry but the line of letters and numbers is the only way I know of making a screen shot :- command-shift-4 all held until you left click , then move the cursor to object required, when you unclick a small object appears on your desktop, but you will know all about that move. Any other method is unknown to me -- sorry. I then click on the object and drag and drop where you need it to be. So sorry, I am being thick and stupid again!

very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake, the picture I have on my desktop changes to numbers etc when I drag it into Mac Forums. K

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Keith, you are very close to getting it done. Once you have the image, instead of drag and drop, which does NOT work on this website, you have to upload the image. In post 24 and 27 I gave some pretty basic directions on how to do that. When you drag and drop the image, all we see is the name of the file that is on your computer. We need to be able to see the image, which requires that you upload it to here in a post, as described in post 24 and 27.
    Jake

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    chscag, hello I have tried to download reimage cleaner but MalwareBytes sees it as trouble (malware). Now as I have a paid for version of MalwareBytes I cannot find a method of dis-ableing it. By the way, do you have many useless twits like me on the forum?

Regards from Keith in Derby England.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Ignore this post - I just repeated a load of stuff that had already been mentioned, so I've deleted it.

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake, I have studied posts 24 & 27 and whilst they are clear to you and every-one else to me they are as clear as mud; sorry but I cannot either understand or complete the task. I plead complete ignorance on that one - so sorry my friend.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Hi Keith in Derby - Ken in Norwich here.

I have just made a little 2-minute video which shows how to take a screenshot of just a portion of the screen, and then it shows how to use the forum's "Insert image" button to upload it to the forum. If you CLICK HERE you will be able to watch it. I hope it helps clarify the process for you.

The reason I'm showing how to screenshot just a portion of the desktop is because the forum can't accept images bigger than 800 x 800 pixels, so a full-size shot of your whole desktop would be too big - and I imagine that these pesky Softonic notifications don't take up a lot of screen space, yes?

Cheers,
    Ken

softonic?
    Just a suggestion for some possible places to try using a quick Google search.

Some good Mac support can usually save a lot of time and frustration and is usually well worth the money. In-home might be best considerin the situation.

Just a thought.

Patrick
    ---------

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Good morning Jake, here is my screen shot???Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 15.06.51.png Oh how I hope that is what you need!!!! K

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake, from what I see on my screen we have at last done it! All thanks to Ken in Norwich; many many thanks Ken. I get dozens of them every day, in Mojave go to the top righthand corner of the screen and click on the THREE DOTS and LINES. A notice board drops down today. or notifications.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Ken, good morning and thank you for the video which I followed stage by stage. It appears to have worked a treat -- thank you very much.

From Keith in Derby.

softonic?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Keith

Well done! I think we may have a solution. This is appearing as a Notification.

1. Open System Preferences. Click on the gear wheel in your Dock - looks like this: S0.png

2. Then click on Notifications - Red arrow - S1.jpg

3. On the left, all the things which post Notifications are on the left in alphabetical order - Red Arrow - Scroll down till you, hopefully, come across Softonic - Click on it to highlight it - in my case I have chosen Safari - Yellow arrow.

4. Go across to the Right and select "None" - another Yellow arrow - S2.jpg

5. That will stop all Notifications from Softonic

Give that a try.

Ian
    Ian

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    Hello Ian, I have already looked at that and found it to be notification of an upgrade to the next OS X 10.15? cannot recall its name. Nice of you to drop in though, hope you and yours are well?

Keith.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Keith, I think you misread what Ian said. Once you open System Preferences by clicking on the gear symbol, you don't again click the Gear, as that will, in fact, take you to Software Update, which is where the notification of an update to the software will be. What you want to click on is the Notifications icon, a little blue square with a red circle. It's on the top row, far left, just as Ian has indicated with his red arrow. Once there, the left column will show who can send you a notification. Look for Softonic there and make sure it is not checked. In fact, you can remove the check from all the items that you do NOT want to notify you of a message or activity. That should cut down on what is on the Notifications page (the dots and lines icon you mentioned).

And a hearty congratulations for figuring out how to post an image! See, you aren't thick after all!
    Jake

Thread Information