Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: softonic?

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Do you guys mean DetectX? He already tried that.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Yes. I corrected my spelling.

I didn't realize Keith had already tried DetectX. Apparently Softonic is a lot more difficult to get rid of than most malware. Maybe he can try what I suggested above although I know nothing about that particular software.

softonic?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think the reason the Softonic notification cannot be found with malware searches are because it's not really malware. It's just a notification which is not harmful in any way, annoying but not malicious.
    My guess is that it may have loaded as part of a Cookie from another site which an Adblocker would usually prevent. I'm surprised it appears in the notification centre though. Are we sure that it isn't in Notification Center Preferences. If so it's easily disabled if not removed.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Rod, I think I'll take exception to the idea that Softonic isn't harmful. As the article Charlie linked said:
    Softonic a well-known download website that offers a large variety of free applications. While the site is notorious for distributing bundled software, it has its own browser hijacker that takes over Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari or another browser. Softonic Web Search engine can trick users into installing other potentially unwanted apps. Additionally, it alters the search engine so that users are forced to browse via hxxp://search.softonic.com, and searches made through it displays an excessive amount of sponsored links. Furthermore, browser hijackers like Softonic often engage in information gathering that relates to users' web browsing activities.
    and:
    Softonic Web Search is a browser add-on[1] has been actively spread with the help of bundling,[2] so there is no surprise that some of its victims cannot remember downloading it. Right after infiltration, it hijacks each of your web browsers and drops a new search provider. Typically, it's search.softonic.com or en.softonic.com websites that have been promoted with the help of this technique.

As a result, Softonic virus gets a chance to start causing sponsored notifications on victim's desktop. Their aim is to redirect users to predetermined websites and earn the money by tricking them into installing required software. If you have never dealt with a similar browser hijacker before, we suggest you to follow the instructions provided in the end of this article to get rid of this PUP.

The main danger related to en.softonic.com popups and redirects is that they can end up on malicious websites. The most of developers, who use pay-per-click scheme[3] to earn the money, fail to double check third parties before adding links to them. As a result, you can be redirected to malware-infested website without knowing.
    The bottom line is what Softonic is doing, while not directly malicious, is not good, and not in the best interest of the victim.

It's not "just a notification," but a hijacker.
    Jake

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Video here demonstrating how to manually remove. Take a look and see what you guys think.
    How To Delete/Uninstall Softonic Toolbar – Mac OS X/Windows | Mac Software Video Tutorials

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    Good morning everyone, the frustration level indicator is knocking seven bells out of the stop; I have never been so uptight in my whole life, given much more of this and I swear I will take a hammer to my iMac and give it some SIT, (Sudden Impact Technology). In one of my wild days I paid for MalwareBytes because my mind thought being paid for would bring hidden bits of quality searching! Now I am really 'paying for it' as it recognises REIMAGE as malware!!!, so where the devil do I go now???
    The next move is I must try to get my iMac to the city centre Apple Shop and it is not going to be easy. I can just see it in my minds eye - an iMac barging it's way through the crowds on the knees by a very angry man in an electric wheelchair. Oh dear God give me enough mental strength to see this episode through to a peaceful end. Near 'shear desperation' is not all that far away!!!!

very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

softonic?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    Video here demonstrating how to manually remove. Take a look and see what you guys think.
    How To Delete/Uninstall Softonic Toolbar Mac OS X/Windows | Mac Software Video Tutorials
    @Keith

I've just watched the video link that LIAB posted and I have to say that I'm sure this is within your comfort zone. It does not involve any additional apps or downloads. Start with a blank desktop, Click on Finder and follow the 3 or 4 steps shown in the video.

You can do it Keith!

Ian
    Ian

softonic?

Your Mac's Specs
    21 inch iMac/Mojave. iPhones 5c&8
    Hello Ian, I hope you and yours are all well? I thank you for your comments and the link but I do NOT have the Softonic Toolbar just the invasive software. Secondly I am so frustrated at the moment I doubt if I could remember or follow the instructions in the link - batting on a very sticky wicket at the moment (see my previous post!). In all my life I have never been so uptight about such a stupid minor thing as this, just about keeping my sanity intact. It is a case of contacting family members, scrounging their time, transport and borrowing their strength or use a couple of taxis into the city centre and back twice.

Very best regards and thanks from Keith in Derby.
    Last edited by sllewk; 01-21-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Keith, is there a Mac users group in Derby? Do you know anyone who uses Macs? Even someone who is familiar with technology, even if not Macs would do. You could invite someone over who is more comfortable with the technology, show them this thread to follow and ask them to perform the steps we have laid out for you. It's not really that hard to do, I think you could do it but your current frustration level may well be getting in the way. In the meantime, ignore the Softonic notifications, don't click on any of them for any reason, it won't do any harm for them to appear. If there is an "x" to dismiss them, you can do that, but don't click on any links in the notification. And don't worry about what the notification says, it's totally bogus and all they want is for you to click on the link so they get paid for the advertisement and click.

I would try to get a friend to help before going to all the trouble to get the machine to Apple to do what is needed.
    Jake

softonic?
    I thank you for your comments and the link but I do NOT have the Softonic Toolbar just the invasive software.

Sorry for my delay replying and I'm just getting back into the forum, but have you tried using Find Any File.app and search for anything with containing 'softronic' in it's name that you could trash???

- Patrick
    ======

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick, Softonic spreads software in multiple places with names without any reference to Softonic in it. The video posted by LIAB shows that clearly. FAF is worth a try, but it probably won't find everything.
    Jake

softonic?
    OK, but this may at least help a bit and point out some of the hiding places and culprit files and applications:
    Remove Softonic (Virus Removal Guide) - Jan 2020 update
    Remove Softonic (Virus Removal Guide) - Jan 2020 update

- Patrick
    ======

softonic?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @Patrick:

That was already suggested to him in post #28. I'm afraid though that it's beyond what Keith feels that he could do.

By the way, good to see you back again.

softonic?
    By the way, good to see you back again.

Thanks Charlie, it's nice to be back home after 2 1/2 weeks at the local hospital getting some repairs and internal body repairs done. Still some recovery to go but in a lot better shape than when I went in.

And it all started with a requisition from my Dr to get a chest x-ray and some blood work tests at the local hospital.

Thank God my wife was with me to help as during the x-ray, the nurse said this guy needs oxygen, and fast, which led to the emergency ward, then an overnight stay, then the rest of the time in their regular ward with CTIs, more x-rays, and some IV blood/hemoglobin, plasma transfers and some scope explorations and internal laser surgery.

That's about the basics.

And no, my m-f password would not work with my iPad 3 which I had the use of with the hospital free guest Internet access.
    But nice to be able to use my iMac once again with most things working as they should.

- Patrick
    ======

softonic?
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Gosh Patrick, that must have been a bit of a scare. Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Best wishes from us.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information