Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Checkbook Software - What to use?
    Just switching over to the Mac environment and am looking for a simple checkbook program for doing basic home accounting. Ever since the days of MS-DOS Iíve been using an old program called Moneycounts by Parsons Technology which I really like. They got bought out by Intuit decades ago and the last version was Windows 16-bit and XP was the last Windows OS that would run it. Today I have my old XP machine hosted in VirtualBox and that continues to work for me but since I am making the switch to Mac I thought I would ask what your favorite checkbook software is.

Iíve tried multiple ďmodernĒ checkbook programs for Windows and the Online stuff but frankly, hate them. I donít want to be mousing all over the place to pound in a bunch of bank statements. I am looking for something where keyboard entry is the primary means of input.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Hi:

Been using "Checkbook" for years. It's inexpensive (Mac App Store) and works well. They also have a Pro version which can keep track of expenses, etc.

CheckBook on the Mac App Store

You brought back memories when you mentioned "Parsons Technology". For years I used their Bible software on my various PCs that I owned. They eventually sold out.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    We use iFinance here, mainly because it has a companion iOS app available that it can be synced to. So, if you use your debit card while out and about, you can input your transactions on your iPhone, then sync to the desktop app at your leisure.
    iFinance - Manage your finances

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Grimes View Post
    ...am looking for a simple checkbook program for doing basic home accounting....
    I just updated my Macintosh Accounting Software Web site, and there is a very long list of "Personal Finance" programs, which is what you are looking for. The most popular programs are indicated, as are several excellent programs that are completely FREE:

Macintosh Accounting Software
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance ē http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thanks all...I think I've found a couple of possibilities.

Thanks all...I think I've found a couple of possibilities.
    I, for one, would be interested in which ones you are considering, and which one you ultimately decide to go with, and why, if you are willing to share.

It's good to get feedback on this sort of thing to pass on to others.
    Randy B. Singer

These two have the most interest for me. I have downloaded the trial version of SEE Finance and am testing it out now.

SEE Finance ★★★
    SEE Finance

Moneyspire
    Best personal finance software for money management & budgeting for 2020 - Mac & Windows

I decided to go with Moneyspire. Both packages are very good. I really liked the customizability of SEE but in the end decided to go with Moneyspire which has better reporting functionality.

I decided to go with Moneyspire. Both packages are very good. I really liked the customizability of SEE but in the end decided to go with Moneyspire which has better reporting functionality.

Thank you for your feedback!

May I recommend that you look at one more product?

iCompta ($27)
    iCompta | Your accounts with ease
    There is a mobile companion version of iCompta for the iPhone/iPad, which syncs with the desktop version. ($4)
    iCompta 6 on the App Store

I think that you will REALLY be impressed by iCompta's reporting features!
    Randy B. Singer

Looks like I'm late with suggestion but I use "Moneydance" and am very happy with the app. It is very good at tracking mutual fund and investment transactions. A lot of great features for tracking all asset accounts and income/expense transactions.

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro
    I use Quicken for PC running under the Parallels VM. I like Quicken a lot, even though it is not free, and for several small non-profit organizations whose finances I manage it is all I need (I have used QuickBooks for much larger organizations). I used Quicken on a PC for years before I gave up PCs and went all-Mac. Intuit has released Mac versions over the years. I tried switching to Quicken for Mac twice, and each time there were one or two deal-breakers. One was as simple as not printing the address of the payee on the printed check, defeating the purpose of window envelopes. Maybe it's better now, but running in Parallels is a very minor inconvenience to me.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Hi Randy--in another thread I was lamenting about Account Edge giving up on Macs after all these years. I decided to try MoneyWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    I, for one, would be interested in which ones you are considering, and which one you ultimately decide to go with, and why, if you are willing to share.

It's good to get feedback on this sort of thing to pass on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by nancyspeed View Post
    I decided to try MoneyWorks.
    How do you like it?
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac and Macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    How do you like it?

I don't know yet. But it will allow me to have three "company" accounts. I volunteer with a dog club and am the treasurer. I like that part of it definitely. It seems similar to AE as to layout and that will help. Not sure if the non-USA origin of the product will confuse me?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
    I've been using Personal Capital for the last few years, and I really like it. It allows you to connect all of your financial accounts, automatically generates reports on where your money is going / coming from. There are iOS apps available as well.

Sean

Thread Information