Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Garage Band Download issues on Catalina
    So I'm a long time iOS user and first time Mac OS user, and I have an issue I was hoping to reach out to the forum with. While downloading Garage Band something happened. It shows the download to be incomplete in Launcher and will not let me open the app, it's been that way for a few days now. I can open the app from Finder and it seems to work fine but I can't close it with the red X in the upper left corner, I have to use Force Quit. My guess is there was an issue with the download and it needs to be deleted and reinstalled. Launcher will not let me delete it because it hasn't "completed" yet. Any idea on what to do? Thanks in advance for your help on this matter!

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Welcome to our forums.

Try booting to Safe Mode (hold down shift key as soon as you hear the POST chime and keep holding it until the Apple appears). From safe mode it may allow you to remove Garage Band.

You can also try this: Open the Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app) and kill (stop) the download process. You do that by highlighting the process and then from the top menu press the "X" button. After the download process is stopped, you can then remove the remains of Garage Band.

If neither of the above works for you, post back and we will try something else a bit more drastic.

Without knowing which version of macOS you're running some things may be a bit different.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Open Applications in a Finder window, right click on GarageBand and select Move to Trash. Empty the trash and restart the download.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Open Applications in a Finder window, right click on GarageBand and select Move to Trash. Empty the trash and restart the download.
    He stated that it won't allow him to do that since the download process shows as not being completed. That would keep the app open and busy and won't be able to be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Welcome to our forums.

Try booting to Safe Mode (hold down shift key as soon as you hear the POST chime and keep holding it until the Apple appears). From safe mode it may allow you to remove Garage Band.

You can also try this: Open the Activity Monitor (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app) and kill (stop) the download process. You do that by highlighting the process and then from the top menu press the "X" button. After the download process is stopped, you can then remove the remains of Garage Band.

If neither of the above works for you, post back and we will try something else a bit more drastic.

Without knowing which version of macOS you're running some things may be a bit different.
    Safe Mode worked perfectly. Thanks so much for your help. I am running Catalina on a hand-me-down MacBook Air (early 2014) that is in desperate need of more RAM, LOL. I'm using this platform to see if Mac OS will improve my workflow. So far I'm loving it, thanks in large part to the Switcher thread on this forum. I have receive tons of helpful information from the forum so far, and I can't tell you how much i appreciate the help. Thanks!

Your Mac's Specs
    Glad to be of help. Enjoy your new to your MacBook Air and visit us again.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    He stated that it won't allow him to do that since the download process shows as not being completed. That would keep the app open and busy and won't be able to be deleted.
    It sounded to me as though they were using LaunchPad, not Finder, but whatever, they sorted it out.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information