Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page



Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Chrome alternative?
    Hi friends

    So im using chrome browser all the time and i believe chrome is consuming quite a lot of resources. I read online that FF for mac is not that good... what other browsers do you guys recommend other than chrome? Safari is that good? i mean can i open like 15-20 tabs and work for 10+ hours?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Chrome alternative?
    lclev's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2013
    Location
    Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    4,110
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 13" MBPro, 2010 MacPro, iPhone Xs Max
    Rep Power
    12
    Safari is good. I still use Google Chrome with no issues. I have also used Brave which is very minimalistic and comes with it's own tracking blockers.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Lisa
    Recommend using Onyx to clean your Mac.
    If you have been helped, please add to their reputation by clicking on the icon in the lower left hand corner of the post.

  3. #3
    Chrome alternative?
    pm-r's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2010
    Location
    Brentwood Bay, BC, Canada
    Posts
    12,526
    Rep Power
    20
    So im using chrome browser all the time and i believe chrome is consuming quite a lot of resources.... ...what other browsers do you guys recommend other than chrome? Safari is that good? i mean can i open like 15-20 tabs and work for 10+ hours?


    Call me a bit confused reading your "logic" about a browser's use of resources.

    Maybe you could explain how you frigure that any browser will or can use less resources with "15-20 tabs open and work for 10+ hours".

    Maybe change your browsing habits instead and keep the resources down, but I don't really know what that would accomplish. Using resources helps get work done!!! That's why your Mac has them available. Some more than others.


    - Patrick
    ======

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Safari is good. I still use Google Chrome with no issues. I have also used Brave which is very minimalistic and comes with it's own tracking blockers.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Lisa
    thank you Lisa, ill check that browser

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Call me a bit confused reading your "logic" about a browser's use of resources.

    Maybe you could explain how you frigure that any browser will or can use less resources with "15-20 tabs open and work for 10+ hours".

    Maybe change your browsing habits instead and keep the resources down, but I don't really know what that would accomplish. Using resources helps get work done!!! That's why your Mac has them available. Some more than others.


    - Patrick
    ======
    Hi Patrick

    Well, I have used several other browsers. And to be honest chrome resource usage is quite high. It's not my browsing habit, but my work requirement... so i just wanted to know what other alternative i have.. i.e. different browsers etc.

  6. #6
    Chrome alternative?
    pine man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2014
    Location
    West Sussex, UK.
    Posts
    428
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Rep Power
    6
    I have got FireFox, Safari & Chrome on my Mac with the default being FireFox.

    Just done some, not too scientific, tests and found that Safari and Chrome load fractionally faster than FireFox. All three seemed to happily run with 20+ tabs open, although I did get a warning from FireFox that so many could slow things down.

    I honestly couldn't find any difference running multiple tabs on any of my browsers but I suppose it depends on how you measure the 'resource usage' you complain of.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pine man View Post
    I have got FireFox, Safari & Chrome on my Mac with the default being FireFox.

    Just done some, not too scientific, tests and found that Safari and Chrome load fractionally faster than FireFox. All three seemed to happily run with 20+ tabs open, although I did get a warning from FireFox that so many could slow things down.

    I honestly couldn't find any difference running multiple tabs on any of my browsers but I suppose it depends on how you measure the 'resource usage' you complain of.
    ok cool, thank you for testing.

  8. #8
    Chrome alternative?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2019
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    27
    Your Mac's Specs
    5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
    Rep Power
    1
    I'm another one of those multi-tab types (currently 17 tabs across 2 windows). It's essential to my workflow too.

    Safari has been my browser of choice since the day it appeared. That said, there continue to be websites that simply will not work with it (CTV News videos, for example). For those kinds of sites, I keep Google Chrome on hand, but only for accessibility, not because I particularly like the browser. FireFox also has a spot in my /Applications/ folder, simply because there's one (sadly, essential) website that for some reason will only work in FF. I've also dallied with Opera, Tor browser, and others... but Safari is the one I keep coming back to. Opera's built-in VPN is a nice feature, but since I now run a VPN for all my internet access, it's not needed at the browser level.

    The most important part of this equation is memory. Safari used to have a heckuva time keeping up to me with my tabs - but with (a least) 8 gigs of RAM (preferably 16), it will handle dozens of tabs easily.

  9. #9
    Chrome alternative?
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    7,103
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by johnchristy44 View Post
    Hi friends

    So im using chrome browser all the time and i believe chrome is consuming quite a lot of resources. I read online that FF for mac is not that good... what other browsers do you guys recommend other than chrome? Safari is that good? i mean can i open like 15-20 tabs and work for 10+ hours?

    Thanks
    I use Safari with 16 pinned tabs and 2-6 other tabs. It really depends on what is on the tabs, and what content blocker(s) you're using. Right now I'm running macOS Catalina on my Late 2014 Mac Mini. Some pages load slower then other pages, it depends on what they have embedded into them. I also have Chrome open, only one tab streaming Amazon Prime/Netflix. Also full screen apps open, like Calendar & Mail, apps minimized like Reminders, Messages, & Photos.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

  10. #10
    Chrome alternative?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2019
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    27
    Your Mac's Specs
    5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
    Rep Power
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    It really depends on what.... what content blocker(s) you're using. .
    Good point, ferrarr.... FWIW, I've used various content blockers over the years, and have settled on just one, which seems to provide enough for my needs: Ghostery.

  11. #11
    Chrome alternative?
    ferrarr's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 21, 2012
    Location
    Pawtucket, RI, US
    Posts
    7,103
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Rep Power
    14
    Right now I have Ghostery, AdBlock, & AdGuard installed and enabled in Safari. I don't have any installed on Chrome though.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best alternative to Chrome?
    By manicpixie in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 01:08 PM
  2. Chrome
    By Glochessum in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
  3. See-through Chrome?
    By progo in forum macOS - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 04:39 PM
  4. Tried Chrome OS.
    By Jamie-Jamie in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 12:14 AM
  5. chrome
    By stickerdontwork in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •