Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Email App Discussion
    I just came across this list of top 10 email providers that is pretty recent
    Top 10 Best Free Email Service Providers 2019 - eCloudBuzz

The list Apple iCloud email which is a new one to me.

Proton Mail seems to be the most secure in their list - I need to check into that.

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    The list Apple iCloud email which is a new one to me.
    Apple started that some years ago when they implemented iCloud. I believe everyone who has an Apple ID can make use of it. The account is IMAP only.

Email App Discussion
    They're discussing ISP providers which is still needed in addition to the Apple Mail app.
    I was just suggesting using the Apple User E-mail address regardless of who the ISP is and there by save changing any e-mail addresses whenever any ISP change is made.

- Patrick
    ======

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    I've been using iCloud.com for a few years. The only issue I've had just happened last week. I somehow logged out of my iCloud account and all my mail was gone. It did not affect the Mail on our iPhone. Once I got logged back in, everything was back.

Email App Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    I've been using iCloud.com for a few years. The only issue I've had just happened last week. I somehow logged out of my iCloud account and all my mail was gone. It did not affect the Mail on our iPhone. Once I got logged back in, everything was back.

Hmmm...??? Isn't that just one of the "features" of an IMAP email account is it not???

- Patrick
    ======

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    Hmmm...??? Isn't that just one of the "features" of an IMAP email account is it not???
    I believe that's a feature of iCloud in that once you sign out, your data or mail is no longer visible. It's an Apple security feature.

Email App Discussion
    I just received this "Black Friday" offer from mail.com when I logged in.

Sounds like a pretty good deal - I specifically like the 100 MB attachment offer.
    I lately seem to have a lot of files that are over the 20MB my email provider offers (but way less than 100MB) - so to send those large files one has to jump through hoops

mail.com offer_800.jpg

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    Why would you need an extra app to send large files via Apple Mail? Ever hear of Mail Drop? It supports file sizes up to 5GB.

Read about the free Apple Mail Drop from the following Apple Support Article:

Mail Drop limits - Apple Support

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    And sending a large file is still problematic if the recipient's mail provider has a smaller limit on attachments. I used to send files, now I send links to files in the cloud somewhere.
    Jake

Email App Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Ever hear of Mail Drop?
    Actually - No...

And when I read about it it says this:
    Mail Drop lets you send large files like videos, presentations, and images through iCloud. If you shared links through Mail Drop that are no longer available, you might have exceeded one or more of the service limits.

With Mail Drop, you can send attachments up to 5 GB in size. You can send these attachments right from Mail on your Mac, the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and from iCloud.com on your Mac or PC. All files types are supported and attachments don’t count against your iCloud storage. If a message, including its attachments, is larger than your Internet Service Provider (ISP) limit, Mail will ask you to send the attachments using Mail Drop.
    Apple Mail has never asked me to send large attachments using Mail Drop.

All that happens - even with attachments about 15MB or so, is that after a while I get an error message that my attachment is too big.

Email App Discussion
    Well, I followed the instructions here:
    How to turn on Yosemite's Mail Drop feature for non-iCloud email accounts | iMore

Mail Drop uses iCloud for storage — and as such is turned on by default for your iCloud email account — but you can use it for your non-iCloud accounts, too. In fact, you can use Mail Drop on any email account you have linked to the Mail app that supports the IMAP email protocol. All you have to do is activate the feature. Here's how:

To activate Mail Drop on non-Yosemite accounts
    Double-click the Mail app.
    Select the Mail menu.
    Select Preferences...
    Click on Accounts.
    Highlight the email account you'd like to use with Mail Drop.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Check "Send large attachments with Mail Drop."

There is no option for "Mail Drop" to check in the advanced tab on Apple Mail in ElCapitan

Email App Discussion
    Well, I followed the instructions here:Mail Drop uses iCloud for storage — and as such is turned on by default for your iCloud email account — but you can use it for your non-iCloud accounts, too. In fact, you can use Mail Drop on any email account you have linked to the Mail app that supports the IMAP email protocol. All you have to do is activate the feature. Here's how:

To activate Mail Drop on non-Yosemite accounts
    Double-click the Mail app.
    Select the Mail menu.
    Select Preferences...
    Click on Accounts.
    Highlight the email account you'd like to use with Mail Drop.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Check "Send large attachments with Mail Drop."

When I try to add a screen shot of the advanced tab window in mail, I get blocked by something called "Sucuri" with a message: SQL injection was detected and blocked.

The detection is obviously wrong - all I'm trying to do is upload a jpg which I have done dozens of times for this site.
    Tried this twice, so it's not just a fluke

- - - Updated - - -

Well, now my post also showed up twice with the added comment in the second one even though I used the edit function - which I have also used multiple times before with no problem.

- - - Updated - - -

And my last comment should have been a separate post because for that one I did NOT use the edit option.
    Same as this post should be a separate one - I guess we'll see when I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    krs, the site recently has been combining posts if you post and then you are the next poster as well. Don't know if there is a time limit, but if you do two posts in the same forum back to back, what you see in your post(s) is what happens. Been that way for about a month or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a quick demo. This should be appended to the previous post I made.
    Jake

Email App Discussion
    Thanks Jake,

Another "improvement" that somebody thought up that makes no sense.

If I wanted to add something to my post I would use the "Edit" function - that is what that is for.
    If I create a new post rather than use the edit function, there is a good reason for that - usually information I don't want to get lost because it's only an added lime or two in my first post that can easily get overlooked if one has already read it.

But that is just another annoyance with this forum software.
    What is much more of an issue is that I keep getting blocked from adding a ordinary jpeg image.
    I would really like to be able to use Mail Drop but for some reason have no access to it.

Email App Discussion
    Your Mac's Specs
    Nice rant!

The difference between what happens with a second post and edit is that edit doesn't have the divider where the merged posts do. It's pretty apparent it is a later post merged.

What is blocking adding a jpeg? It works just fine if you stick to the limit of 500x500 pixels. So what is happening when you try?

Mail drop has nothing to do with this site. That's a Mail function. Open Mail, Preferences, select the account in the Accounts tab, then under Account Information make sure "Send large attachments with Mail Drop" is checked. From there it should work for you.

One thing I noticed was the option initially wasn't there under iCloud, but it appeared after I chose another account and then returned to the iCloud account. Don't know if it was a glitch or a true bug, but when it appeared it could be checked and seemed to work.
    Jake

Thread Information