Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    You don't really have to learn any new file locations. In day-to-day operations most people won't notice a difference. Here's an overview of the differences.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 7, iPad 6th generation
    thanks slydude..I found that exact site. tho don't fully understand it all totally...guess I don't really need to. at least I hope.
    so when formatting external drives I do the same as I did in past 1. either Mac extended or 2. xfat...for using on other systems.
    correct?

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    You can continue to format external drives as HFS+ or ExFAT if you desire. It's only your internal drive in your Mac that will be reformatted to APFS. You do not have a choice with that as it's automatic.

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    ok thnx

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    ok I began to do super duper.
    I formatted my ext drive xfat and then found out that it won't work. required OS Extended. once i reformatted to that was ok.
    ran super duper and looked pretty easy. the whole backup took about 45min. I opened drive and saw folders and looks ok.

tho I cannot close the super duper screen...it has a red dot but I cannot close. see pic
    I didnt want to click ok else it may want to do it again.

I tried shutdown of Mac..still would not end.
    did a forced shutdown...after I had disconnected the super duper clone drive.
    hope that was not a mistake.

Will wait to hear comments before I upgrade to Mojave
    Attached Images Attached Images

upgrade to Mojave
    ran super duper and looked pretty easy. the whole backup took about 45min. I opened drive and saw folders and looks ok

Looking okay for a usable clone is not adequate, it needs to be tested to make sure it actually works and then make sure everything seems intact and working.

Sorry, I can't help with SuperDuper problems as I don't use it.

Just saying...

- Patrick
    ======

upgrade to Mojave
    BTW: I still can't get the ...2/2... part of the message that wouldn't send to send and it would sure be nice if I could figure out why it won't post.

Is there someplace I can try and send it to an administrator for them to check.

It sure is annoying when this keeps happening. No feedback, no reason given, nothing, the post just will not complete.

It would sure be nice to know if there is a taboo word or phrase but I sure cannot see one. Nor can I find any reason or solution when I have searched the web.

Meanwhile, the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" tag keep staring me in the face, but it doesn't get posted either when I use it.

Sorry to go off topic, but this mac-form does have some unique problems and that must be using some special vBulletin posting rules or something.

Maybe I'll try taking a screenshot of the text and posting that to see if any admin or anyone can see why it shouldn't get posted/

- Patrick
    ======

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    by looking ok, i meant the folders look just like whats on mac!
    well how on earth do i test it???
    mayb someone who uses superduper can help!

upgrade to Mojave
    well how on earth do i test it???
    You pretend that you need to use it as a boot Drive and check and see if things like email and your documents etc. actually open and work.

Probably in your case, from a shutdown state, Startup your Mac but press and hold the option key until you see what choices you have. Your backup clone you used to backup should be one of them and that's the one you would select to boot from.

If everything works you should be able to just restart to go back to using your normal boot Drive.

- Patrick
    ======

upgrade to Mojave
    Sorry to be off topic here, but to carry on, here's a screenshot of the text that will not post for the admins to look at and maybe explain why it will not post:

Screen Shot 2019-12-02 at 11.55.10 AM.png

Thanks,
    - Patrick
    ======

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    patrick
    I must be doing something wrong. I did a restart, was prompted to enter pw..did that and held down option key....then system just came up like it normally does when I open my Mac.
    no options

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    Lori:

I must be doing something wrong. I did a restart, was prompted to enter pw..did that and held down option key....then system just came up like it normally does when I open my Mac.
    no options
    That probably means you either are doing something wrong or the clone you made is not bootable.

Unfortunately, I do not use SuperDuper to make my clones so I don't know why it would not allow you to shut down. I suspect though that you may have left out a step which is why the app would not let you close it. Try making another clone and if necessary, take a look at SuperDuper help and instructions. Maybe you can see something that might have been missed.

upgrade to Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by lori5060 View Post
    patrick
    no options

This is one reason why you want to test your clone, and make sure everything works!!!

First, You need to Shutdown, make sure your SD cloned backup Drive is connected and turned on, press StartUp and immediately press and hold the option key.

You should end up with a selection, to choose from, at least your normal boot Drive and your connected external clone bootable Drive.

Give it another try.

- Patrick
    ======

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    @Patrick:

Sorry to be off topic here, but to carry on, here's a screenshot of the text that will not post for the admins to look at and maybe explain why it will not post:
    I have no explanation for what happened. But there are definitely weird things going on with your interaction to our forums. I don't know if it's something the software doesn't like about you or some kind of Gremlins that are lurking about your computer waiting for a chance to annoy you.

In any event, we will try to figure something out. I've tried to duplicate some of what you experienced but it just doesn't seem to work the same way from my end.

Regards, Charlie

upgrade to Mojave
    Your Mac's Specs
    that sound logical...I can do shutdown but usually just open lid to start up... will try pressing startup button on keyboard on top right. and press/hold option key. wish me luck!!

Thread Information