Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Preview is auto saving changes
    When I change the size of a graphic in Preview and do NOT save the change and then reopen the graphic, it opens with the size change I made. It seem that Preview is automatically saving the temporary size change I made to the graphic file. I'm on iMac, El Capitan 10.11.6, Preview vers. 8.1. From now on, I'll try to remember to open a COPY of the original file. Any idea of why this is happening?

Preview should not be doing that. Once you modify a file, the title in the top changes to include the word "- Edited" and you have to save the file manually. If that isn't working as it should, you can always hit CMD+z to revert your change and move on.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    What type of documents does this happen with? Any/all types, or only specific types?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    I have certainly noticed that if I open .pdf file with preview and then make some changes to it by annotating it, that change remains after I close it without saving it. This has happened for as long as I can remember and now I always make a copy to work on first.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

When I change the size of a graphic in Preview and do NOT save the change and then reopen the graphic, it opens with the size change I made.

It sounds like you have Mac OS X''s Auto-Save or Versions enabled, it's been around for a while now and has been driving users crazy ever since, along with the lack of Save As... in some cases. Check it out here:
    Using the Mac's Auto-Save and Versions Feature
    Using the Mac's Auto-Save and Versions Feature

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It sounds like you have Mac OS X''s Auto-Save or Versions enabled, it's been around for a while now and has been driving users crazy ever since,
    The Auto Save feature for Apple Apps is turned on by default and can not be turned off. But I agree, most users are not even aware of it nor how to use it.

Interesting, I'm on Catalina and I opened an image in Preview, and re-sized it. I got the "- Edited" in the title. I quit Preview without saving anything and re-opened the image again and it was back to its original size.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The Auto Save feature for Apple Apps is turned on by default and can not be turned off. But I agree, most users are not even aware of it nor how to use it.

I did not know that and I guess they dropped that option after Mavericks.
    Turn Off Auto-Save in OS X Mountain Lion & Mavericks
    If you don’t like the Auto-Save feature of OS X, you’ll be pleased to discover that turning it off system-wide on a Mac is just a matter of checking a settings box within OS X Mountain Lion and OS X Mavericks. This will disable the automatic saving behavior for all files across all documents on a Mac.

Turn Off Auto-Save in OS X Mountain Lion & Mavericks

It's nice having the option, but I must admit I don't change it very often as I do like the old classic fashion method using my Mavericks OS.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    Interesting, I'm on Catalina and I opened an image in Preview, and re-sized it. I got the "- Edited" in the title. I quit Preview without saving anything and re-opened the image again and it was back to its original size.
    Hmmm...??? It seems that Catalina's System Preferences > General still has the option to "Ask to keep changes when closing documents".

So I assume if it wasn't checked nothing would happen????

I have no idea if that is a Catalina OS default setting or not.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm...??? It seems that Catalina's System Preferences > General still has the option to "Ask to keep changes when closing documents".

So I assume if it wasn't checked nothing would happen????

I have no idea if that is a Catalina OS default setting or not.

- Patrick
    ======
    But having that setting enabled (which I do not) would just prompt me to save the file as opposed to saving it automatically for me which the OP is complaining about.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

OK. I see where others have noticed the same problem with Preview and auto-saving changes. I went to link Patrick shared about Mac's AutoSave feature. The article states that the AutoSave is turned on by default and cannot be turned off. So, that is what has been happening when I resize/modify a .jpg or .png graphic and I do not save the changes, close the window, and then later open the same graphic and see that Preview saved the change I made and the original version is no longer available. So, from now on - I need to remember to work from a copy of the original. I don't know why Apple did that - not making it possible to even turn off that default! As I mentioned earlier, I'm using El Capitan.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently this can't be turned off in El Capitan.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    That's correct. You would need to update macOS. In Mojave for example, it can be turned off... note what Ashwin posted above.

One would think they would just leave the options available and at least be consistent about the thing among the different OS X versions. I sure can't see any value or benefit of disabling the option.

- Patrick
    ======

I can't update my macOS unless I buy a new iMac. El Capitan is as far as I can go. My old iMac is working fine. Buying new computer w/new OS would mean updating a bunch of apps like Quark Xpress, Photoshop, etc., and since I'm now retired - no need to go to all that expense.

I'm a long-time member, but have been off the forum for several years. I need a refresher on how to reply to a specific post - like I thought I did to cshcag when he suggested I update my OS. I read his post, then clicked on "reply" in the same block his post was in, but my reply ("I can't update my macOS...") shows up in a new box. What am I doing wrong?

Thread Information