Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Preview is auto saving changes
    Gosh - if one doesn't log into this forum several times a day, one can easily fall way behind....

So - I'm on ElCapitan and I don't have this problem with Preview.
    Normally, when I change an item with Preview, I give it a slightly different name and use "Save As..."
    That way I keep the original and also have the modified version.

But if I don't, say I changed my mind and just close the window after I made the change, I get the option to revert back to the original.
    This is a bit different than the way the Mac used to work and I think it all came about when Apple changed the way one accesses "Save As...'
    I have it in my File dropdown the way it used to be rather than having to use the Option key.

Revert Changes.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Withrow View Post
    I'm a long-time member, but have been off the forum for several years. I need a refresher on how to reply to a specific post - like I thought I did to cshcag when he suggested I update my OS. I read his post, then clicked on "reply" in the same block his post was in, but my reply ("I can't update my macOS...") shows up in a new box. What am I doing wrong?
    Nancy, that is how it works. If you want to quote the post you are replying to, click on "Reply with Quote." But you don't need to quote every time you post as we generally can follow the thread as we read along. If you want to respond to a specific person without the quote, then start the post with "@<<name>>," where you put the name of the poster. So, if I wanted to respond to you, I would start "@Nancy Withrow" or just "@Nancy" so you, and everybody else, know that I am responding to you.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Nancy, that is how it works. If you want to quote the post you are replying to, click on "Reply with Quote." But you don't need to quote every time you post as we generally can follow the thread as we read along. If you want to respond to a specific person without the quote, then start the post with "@<<name>>," where you put the name of the poster. So, if I wanted to respond to you, I would start "@Nancy Withrow" or just "@Nancy" so you, and everybody else, know that I am responding to you.
    OK - ty for your reply. I'm trying this - let's see if I did it right!

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Gosh - if one doesn't log into this forum several times a day, one can easily fall way behind....

So - I'm on ElCapitan and I don't have this problem with Preview.
    Normally, when I change an item with Preview, I give it a slightly different name and use "Save As..."
    That way I keep the original and also have the modified version.

But if I don't, say I changed my mind and just close the window after I made the change, I get the option to revert back to the original.
    This is a bit different than the way the Mac used to work and I think it all came about when Apple changed the way one accesses "Save As...'
    I have it in my File dropdown the way it used to be rather than having to use the Option key.

Revert Changes.jpg
    Yes, I would LOVE to do a "save as" in Preview - which is what most apps let you do. But the only choice I have under File dropdown is a "save". And, I'm using El Capitan as you are with the latest OS available to me (OS 10.11.6; Preview vers. 8.1). And, I'm not sure how to show you a screen capture - I just dragged a copy here - don't know if it will show up. If not - how DO I insert a screen capture like you did?
    /Users/nancywinthrow/Desktop/Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 8.42.12 AM.png

Nancy - inserting an image is actually poorly set up in this software - at least from my perspective (part of my full time job)

If you use the "Quick Reply" field like I do most times, to insert an image that you have on your Mac, you click on the third icon just above the "Quick Reply" field (If you hover the mouse over it, 'Insert Image" will show up. The tab 'From Computer (at the top left) is pre-selected, if not, select it.
    There you click at the bottom right where it says "Basic Uploader"
    Now a "Browse" button shows up at the top left, when you click on that, a window opens up that shows the files on your Mac.
    You select the image you want to attach and select it - or double click
    And then you select "Upload File(s)" just below that.

You then end up with a [ATTACH][5-digit number][/ATTACH] in your 'Quick Reply' filed that is your image.
    Note that only jpg, png and gif images are allowed - I usually end up using the grab.app to select the image I want to attach. Grab saves as a tiff image so I always have to convert the tiff to a jpg first.
    Oh, and the image file has to be 800 pixels or smaller, so if you do a screenshot you may have to reduce the size

This, btw, is the EASY way of adding an image

Big Smile.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    Not sure what you are seeing, krs, but when I click on the icon to insert an image, I get this: Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.57.19 AM.png

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. Don't know why you have to go through all that rigamarole. I use "Screenshot" from the Utilities folder to capture images, which defaults to jpg. I do have to resize them sometimes because the board limits to 800x800, but other than that, it's a two step process.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Withrow View Post
    Yes, I would LOVE to do a "save as" in Preview - which is what most apps let you do. But the only choice I have under File dropdown is a "save". And, I'm using El Capitan as you are with the latest OS available to me (OS 10.11.6; Preview vers. 8.1).
    We discussed how to get 'Save As...' elsewhere in this forum a while back.
    But just quickly....
    Go into System Preferences and select Keyboard
    In Keyboard select 'shortuts' and 'App Shortcuts' in left panel
    Click on "+" and add the name "Save As..." - has to be exactly like this with the three periods, and then enter the key combination Shift-Command-S
    That will add the "Save As..." in every Apple app up to Mojave, it may also allow you to revert a change per my screen shot earlier

Save As....jpg

Not sure what you are seeing, krs, but when I click on the icon to insert an image, I get this: Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 9.57.19 AM.png

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. Don't know why you have to go through all that rigamarole. I use "Screenshot" from the Utilities folder to capture images, which defaults to jpg. I do have to resize them sometimes because the board limits to 800x800, but other than that, it's a two step process.
    I get this when I click on the image icon:

Forum Insert Image.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    Wonder why the difference? I use Safari, pretty straightforward and just did an image capture to get what I posted, so it's current. Maybe the Mods can explain why I get a much easier window to use?
    Jake

Took me a while to launch Safari for this forum since I had to look up my password first.
    But when I use Safari, I get the same window as you.
    The previous one was with FireFox, latest version

Your Mac's Specs
    I don't use FF, but Brave pops up the window I posted. Must be something in FF?
    Jake

I just tried Brave myself - yes, it pops up the window you posted.

I find FF is going down the drain lately - not just with this.
    Seems every few years I have to change my default browser, I used to use Safari years ago, then Safari became slow and wouldn't load some websites, tried Chrome for a while until I read about privacy issues, then ran FF for a long time...probably until now.
    Problem is that I have so many websites set up for auto-login...I would have to set these up all over again

Well, that last FF hiccup with the image upload window did it.
    I decided to take the plunge and move to Brave as my default browser even with all the work to redo auto-log ins.
    Trashed everything "Brave Browser" I already had when I was trying it earlier this year - with a fresh download I thought I would at least get the option to import bookmarks from FF.
    Turns out Brave did much better than that - it supposedly also imports a bunch of other items including the auto logins.
    Worked with this forum - after I made Brave my default browser and clicked on the email link from the forum, I was logged right into the site.

Brave Import Settings.jpg

I click on Choose File, the Finder-like window open, find the file then click Upload File. Boom, done. ... ...

Just for the record, I get exactly the same "Upload window" as Jake shows in his #21 post, using Mavericks and Google Chrome 67.x.

- Patrick
    ======

Well Patrick, I see what I posted.

That is what comes up when I click on the "insert image" icon in FireFox.

I just tried Waterfox and it brings up the same image as FireFox.

So it all seems to depends on the browser/rendering engine that is used.
    FireFox and a bunch of other browsers use the Gecko and later the Quantum engine, so I would think all those browsers bring up what I posted.
    Last edited by krs; 11-13-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Thread Information