Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Office for Mac 2019

Thank you all for the info and recommendation. I will take a look and study about it in greater details later.

Do yourself a favor and switch to LibreOffice for Mac. It works like a charm and compatible with Word, Office, Excel, Pages, Numbers. et.al. It's free and constantly updated with new features. It has tons of helpful templates and extensions. Its cross-platform too Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Office for Mac 2019
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've used LibreOffice and it's well worth a try. I have it on the PC sitting at my desk because I really don't need to pay for an Office license for the little bit I use that PC.

I've used LibreOffice on my Mac though I don't think I've used the current version. I find it a little slow on my Mac (compared to either of the SoftMaker products) but still have it just in case.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Office for Mac 2019
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Lots of folks like LibreOffice but when I tried it I found it to be clunky and bloated. If you just need a Word equivalent program, LibreOffice is not a good choice; here's why: You can not just install the word processor, but the entire program with all the fluff gets installed. Which requires trying to remove what you don't need. FreeOffice is small and so is Softmaker Office. Much nicer and lots easier to work with in my opinion.

Office for Mac 2019
    Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    Hello PettyCash,
    I don't think you will have any trouble with old document version compatibility, now or later.

All of my documents created in Office 2011 still work, as that is what is on the computer now.
    I also still use several Word & Excel documents that were created as far back as Office 1.5 for Windows 3.0 in 1992. They use doc and xls extensions. (Newer are docx & xlsx)

We also still have some Word For DOS files on a 5-1/4" floppy. I tested some after reading your question #1. They still open in Office 2011 and can be edited. Office programs use what they call "Compatibility Mode" for those. I apologize, but I forgot to check the dates before I put the discs back in storage.

My mother used to use "Microsoft StarWriter" for DOS in her job. I remember her telling me that the documents opened in her new, fancy Windows 95 computer's Microsoft Word.

Would it not be nice if all of our stuff stayed compatible for so many decades?

I think, but am not sure, that Apple's Pages & Numbers can open older Word & Excel documents, too. It might be worth checking out. (If those applications still exist under those names.)

Hope this information is helpful when you make your decision.
    Paul
    Last edited by PGB1; 11-15-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar! Sister Mary Knucklebuster would be so disappointed.

Office for Mac 2019

Have you tried the online free to use Microsoft Office. It might be all you need ?

They have all the usual products there, Outlook, OneDrive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Skype, Calendar and more.

Office.com

Office for Mac 2019
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    Note that, while we are recommending free stuff, you might like this browser even more than Safari, it's free, and you don't even have to upgrade your OS to use it:

Brave (free)
    Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

Brave is *FAST*! It has built-in ad blocking. It blocks trackers. You have no idea how much nicer a browser can be to use until you try Brave.
    I just wanted to add in regard to Brave that potential new users should not be put off by the BAT Token (Brave Rewards) system which this browser will offer you at setup. You only need to opt in if you are interested in taking part. You can also opt in or out at any time. Whether you do or not this free "no Ads, no Tracking" browser is as Randy says, faster and very secure.

I am trialling it at the moment on both my laptop and portable devices and the 3G data savings on my iPhone have been quite surprising not to mention the speed.

On my MBP I find UI font is clearer and larger than Safari and it has access to the Chrome Extension Library meaning you can pretty much add anything you need but the big bonus is, no more AdBlock Pro, no more Ghostery, no more Trackers at all including, like it or not, Google Analytics.

Braves BAT token system (Brave Rewards) is, in a nutshell, a way of being rewarded with Basic Attention Tokens for the time you spend on a site or the Ads you like. This gives you credits in the form of cryptocurrency (Etherium model) which are then passed on to content creators and advertisers you visit based on the attention you have recorded on your browser. This is only stored locally on your browser. You can control every facet of this process and your privacy is not threatened in any way. If you are interested you can just set it up as automatic and the sites you visit will be awarded tokens at the end of each month if they have also opted into this "rewards" system.
    Interestingly Mac-Forums shows as "Unverified" meaning the tokens I accumulate for my time spent on this site cannot be awarded to the developers. In this case my accumulated reward points go into a kind of virtual wallet.

There is a full explanation of this process readily available from the brave web site if you want to delve deeper. I have opted in and set my Rewards preferences on Automatic for now just to get an understanding of what seems to be a groundbreaking concept.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information