Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Something good to say
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Something good to say
    After moaning and groaning a bit about the changes, constant updates and shortcomings of Catalina's new apps I feel like it's time to say something good.

I have already mentioned this back in Mojave but I'll say it again, Safari is pretty good once you get used to it. It's only drawback I found is the Extensions Library in the App Store. You can't search it. You literally have to scroll through all the alternatives. On most other Browser Extension Libraries this would take ages but Safari doesn't have that many which is going and bad depending on how you look at it.

The big surprise for me is Pages. In its beginning I admit I simply dismissed it as a poor man's word processor, not really a serious document writing tool. But, Pages has improved, a lot. Sometimes you donít need all the bells and whistles and Pages not only has a much friendlier UI but syncs across all your devices and itís free.
    More templates, more editing tools, more fonts and more integration with other native apps.
    Today unless the document Iím working on is already in MS Word Iím opting for Pages.
    The big stumbling block used to be compatibility with PC's. If I send a document as an attachment it needed to be compatible with MS Word so I might as well write it in MS Word to begin with. That was how I thought but that is no longer the barrier it used to be. You can now export Pages docs within the app to Word, PDF, EPUB and RTF formats. Convert Pages documents to PDF, Microsoft Word, and more - Apple Support
    So I've started with simple documents and I'm working my way to more complex. I still use Word but not as much.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Something good to say
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Apple made those changes to Pages some time ago. One of the biggest changes to Pages is the ability to lock in the fonts, margins, and some other parameters when opening a new document. Previously, this had to be set each time a new document was opened.

I have always contended that Pages is a first class word processor in addition to a fairly good layout program. However, the compatibility problem still exists when exporting Pages documents to Word format. Margins, and overall layout usually get messed up to the point where the document has to be redone.

But, if you don't have to maintain compatibility or exchange documents with other users, Pages is an excellent choice. Much better than Libre Office or Open Office in my opinion.

Something good to say
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I don't use Pages a lot, but it's more than sufficient for my needs. As for Safari, I still use it primarily, but I utterly loathe the changes they made to how it handles extensions. All extensions have to be provided by an app now. So now for example, AdGuard has to have a full blown "AdGuard for Safari" app that loads on startup to serve no purpose other than to allow the extension to be loaded in Safari. I just don't understand the rationale for this. It seem to me this adds more overhead to the system. I've also lost use of a few extensions that I liked and have no expectation that they will return.

Oh yeah... the App Store. It's horrible, especially for extensions. Sheesh.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Ľ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Something good to say
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Well I guess I never gave it a fair try so it's all a bit new to me. I suppose I had a rather outdated opinion of the Pages app and it was only by accident that I gave it a try.
    I had been having a problem formatting or rather undoing some formatting in MS Word and as I was only try I to create a fairly simple document and since I no longer have Libre Office or Open Office since the Catalina upgrade I thought I'd give pages a go. Once I started to get the hang of it I was surprised at how intuitive a lot of the actions were and I was able to continue the job on my iPad.
    All up the two word processors, Word and Pages are probably all I will ever need.

Lifeisabeach, I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) I have AdGuard for Safari as well. There is an AdGuard for macOS available that works across the whole system, see;
    welcome.html but of course that is a paid for version and does a lot more than just ad protection for one browser. For $2.99 / year its probably worth the money but I wanted to see if I liked it first.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Something good to say
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Lifeisabeach, I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) I have AdGuard for Safari as well. There is an AdGuard for macOS available that works across the whole system, see; welcome.html but of course that is a paid for version and does a lot more than just ad protection for one browser. For $2.99 / year its probably worth the money but I wanted to see if I liked it first.
    I did a trial of that since among the extra things it's supposed to be able to do is block "mailing list" popups, which are the scourge of the internet if you ask me. Unfortunately in the sites I tried it on, it didn't work. It's possible I may have overlooked a setting somewhere. I might revisit it. I do use the pro version on my iOS devices.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Ľ Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

First, thanks to Rod for starting this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    But, if you don't have to maintain compatibility or exchange documents with other users, Pages is an excellent choice. Much better than Libre Office or Open Office in my opinion.
    I'm interested in your reasoning here. My wife is an attorney who needs to produce Thai language documents, often with complex formatting requirements dictated by the court which and can be exported in some Word format.

I tried to get her to use Pages, but she complained that it couldn't handle the formatting tasks she needed. We ended up with LibreOffice which seems to do what she needs.

I don't really like LibreOffice. I find the text entry screen to be over cluttered with an excess of sometimes confusing options. I also don't like the fact that I had to downgrade several versions in order to find one that could handle a Retina display.

On the other hand, Pages just looks nice to me and is so very easy to use.

Something good to say
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    On the other hand, Pages just looks nice to me and is so very easy to use.
    It is easy to use and Apple has been improving it ever since they offered it for free to all Mac owners. However, the latest version of Pages (8.2) requires Mojave or later.

The only problem I have with using Pages is that it does not provide good compatibility with MS Office Word. It can save to the Word format but margins, borders, fonts, and other attributes usually are off and the document has to be redone. I also have Word documents that go back to MS Office for Windows 97. Pages does not work very well or at all with those older Word documents.

Thread Information