Adobe Flash - 32-bit, also not supported past 2020?
    A reply by Dave pointed me to this thread:
    Updating Adobe Flash Player in a macOS Ca… - Apple Community

If correct what is posted there, what are people doing to watch anything that requires Adobe Flash?

I don't really like the application for several, probably obvious, reasons, but I still keep coming across the odd site that uses Flash extensively.
    And I have not found another application that can be used to play flash content.

There are really two questions:

1. For those moving to Catalina right now or soon, if Flash is a 32-bit application, how does one play flash content?
    Is there something built into that OS that will do that?

2. For those that are still on an older version of macOS, is there another option to play flash content?
    I realize flash won't stop working on the older macOS just because it is no longer supported, but in the past Flash has been updated constantly to plug security holes, so keeping Flash without that support could make a Mac with Flash installed vulnerable to attacts - that's what I am getting at.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I do not use Flash or Java.

Chrome does have a version of it included within their browser, so I use that for my video streaming needs.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Chrome does have a version of it included within their browser
    Yes; and it keeps it up to date and, obviously, gets the updates direct from Adobe. There are many dodgy sites out there that try and entice the unwary to download from them - along with some nasty additives.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    I do not use Flash or Java.
    Chrome does have a version of it included within their browser, so I use that for my video streaming needs.
    I use Chrome very seldom, but my original questions still apply.
    I assume Adobe doesn't create a special 64-bit version to include with chrome and also keeps supporting Flash just for the Chrome version.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I use Chrome very seldom, but my original questions still apply.
    I assume Adobe doesn't create a special 64-bit version to include with chrome and also keeps supporting Flash just for the Chrome version.
    Hi krs - if the same thread, I mentioned that Flash was removed from both of my computers for the Catalina upgrade, so no longer present in 'System Preferences' - assume from the link given there that Flash is no longer needed and will be D/C by Adobe next year. Also, if you look on the Adobe website for Flash downloads, Catalina is not included (pic below) - Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 2.14.24 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Hi Dave,

So how would you play flash content on a website when running Catalina?

In the image you posted, under "About" it talks about Flash being installed in more than 1.3 billion systems and Flash Player being the "standard"......obviously not much of a "standard" if it is no longer supported or even works on the latest macOS.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Since the overwhelming majority of computer systems out there are running Windows and Windows 10 still supports 32 bit apps, I'm not sure it will matter very much. Also, many popular sites that once used Flash for video presentations, now use HTML5 instead.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Hi Dave,

In the image you posted, under "About" it talks about Flash being installed in more than 1.3 billion systems and Flash Player being the "standard"......obviously not much of a "standard" if it is no longer supported or even works on the latest macOS.
    Chrome works for me.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Most, if not all highly visited sites, have moved to HTML5 videos from Flash. Only those websites that stuck in time are still using Flash and for those you'll just have to use Chrome to get around them.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Hi Dave,

Hi again krs - well, as Charlie & Ashwin state in their posts, many sites have switched to HTML5 over the last half dozen years or so - I've been using my Catalina laptops for about 2 weeks now - watch some videos and do online crosswords daily (to help my aging brain - ) - so far, have not seen a pop-up that I needed Flash, plus there seems to be no Catalina option - when I go to the Adobe test site, I get the first pic below; opened Chrome and when I try to run Flash, the settings are shown in the second pic - HMMM - even Chrome does not want you to run Flash - if enabled, then I can see Flash videos.

Bottom line is that I'm not missing much, if anything, using Safari in Catalina, but my needs may not be yours or those of others? At any rate, Flash is 'dead in the water' next year, so might as well adjust now - my 2 cents. Dave
    Flash1.png
    Flash2.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information