Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Find Any File 64bit is available in beta.
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    A couple of weeks ago I wrote to Thomas Templeman asking if there would be a 64bit version of his very handy app "Find Any File". He wrote back promptly as he always does, replying that there was already a 64bit beta version available on his web site; Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
    After reexamining the site I saw at the very top of the page a paragraph titled; "Concerned about Apple's upcoming 64 bit requirement?"
    In that paragraph is a link to the page with the download link. I have been using the FAF 2 beta for a couple of weeks now and can't fault it so if you were/are a user and you didn't already know about this version I'd advise you give it a try.
    It was the last app on my device in 32bit form that I really wanted to keep so big relief for me.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Thanks Rod. Just what I wanted to know.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Moved here to the correct forum. Not a Lounge subject.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    Useful information, Rod. I just checked, and EasyFind is already 64 bit.
    And... EasyFind is free while Find Any File is not.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    And... EasyFind is free while Find Any File is not.
    Well when you say FAF2 in not free, it's shareware, so initially free to use, I already paid for the original version ($6) and upgrades to the new version are free.
    It’s worth checking the linked page for a list of the improvements too, like “Show results early” and the images search option.
    Worth every penny I think. Thomas has put a lot of time and money into this app and I challenge any app developer to provide prompter or better support.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Last edited by Rod; 10-03-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by honestone33 View Post
    I have been using EasyFind for so long that I depend upon it. And I have always had Spotlight turned off. Never really saw any advantages to using Spotlight, and especially with it slowing down my Mac while it performs indexing of a drive.
    Virtually the only really useful aspect of Spotlight for me is: Command plus Spacebar brings up Spotlight - enter the first letter or two of an app you want - hit Enter and it's open. Really quick when you get used to it.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Thomas has put a lot of time and money into this app and I challenge any app developer to provide prompter or better support.
    LOL, how much support do you really need for an app like FAF? The point being that both apps do the job very well but one is now shareware (FAF used to be free) and EasyFind is free.

Your Mac's Specs
    Obviously cost is an issue but I used FAF for a couple of years before paying for it. That was because I felt I was getting good value out of it and my conscience got the better of me.
    I downloaded EasyFind to try and comparing FAF and EasyFind with a folder that was in two locations. One was at the first level of the Documents Folder and the other was in my One Drive Folder.
    It took FAF 10secs to find them both, EasyFind found the folder in Documents in 5secs but took 90secs to find it in the OneDrive folder.
    This is a minor but significant difference. I can see that EasyFind with its sidebar search criteria might be easier to use but to compare it to the ease and speed of Spotlight is laughable.
    Spotlight had listed both instances of the file before I had finished typing the name as well as 18 other references to the title and the file contents.

Your Mac's Specs
    As for time spent indexing, I'm only dealing with 300Gb on a 500Gb SSD so my observations may be different to others but it seems negligible to me. After initial indexing has been completed the periodic indexing has been next to unnoticeable.

Your Mac's Specs
    Honestone for some reason I got the idea that you had disabled Spotlight because you thought EasyFind was better.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Yes, I have. But that was because I did not like the idea of Spotlight slowing down my machine. I suspect things have improved in regards to that, especially in light of your post above.

If you enable Spotlight to do it's indexing the next time you take a bathroom break, I dare say it will be pretty well finished when you get back and I would be very surprised if you even notice it doing any indexing once it's finished.

It's enabled on my iMac running Mavericks OS and I don't think I've ever noticed it running except for after a major upgrade or some such thing.

As much as I have cursed its operation at times, Spotlight does have some very fast quick search features that can be very handy, and some that are certainly much faster than anything EasyFind or Find Any File could even think ofattempting to do.

I don't know where you got the idea or impression that Spotlight will slow down your Mac.

PS: You might want to take a look and read at:
    Reason 12: Spotlight Overload
    17 Reasons Why Your Mac Running Slow!

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 10-04-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    As much as I have cursed its operation at times, Spotlight does have some very fast quick search features that can be very handy, and some that are certainly much faster than anything EasyFind or Find Any File could even think ofattempting to do.
    Where's the proof of that assertion?

The proof is just by simply trying some Spotlight searches. Some specific ones are instantaneous with the results. The same just does not happen when using the other applications.

With SSDs just about being the norm in most Macs, and improvements in Spotlight, I suspect things have improved.
    Spotlight has definitely increased in speed compared to how it used to work, especially when it was first released. But I was not referring to it in those situations or as how it might have been slow in the Past.

I was just suggesting you might want to give Spotlight a try and use some of it's benefits, especially with its many speed improvements, and maybe forget how slow you think it used to work.

- Patrick
    ======

Good grief honestone33.
    Did you actually try it with both EasyFind and Find Any File?

Of course I have, but I was specifically answering your question about the speed of Spotlight as a comparison.
    For nearly all Spotlight searches, the results are virtually instant. Neither EasyFind nor Find Any File can come anywhere near the speed.

Whether Spotlight actually finds and produces the results you were looking for can often be a different matter.

I already stated in Post #13 above, "I might try it when Catalina comes out,...I might consider switching.
    Again, I was attempting to help you out and suggest you try it now, and why bother waiting??? And nowhere did I suggest you try switching, but to try Spotlight for some of your searches once you have finally let it do it's indexing, and all three applications have their use and place. Some just happen to be better than the others and one learns that from using them accordingly.

- Patrick
    ======

@Ian
    A bit OT...
    Virtually the only really useful aspect of Spotlight for me is: Command plus Spacebar brings up Spotlight - enter the first letter or two of an app you want - hit Enter and it's open. Really quick when you get used to it.

Ian

Ian, I just thought I would mention a small utility I use daily that's much easier and faster than your command + spacebar method.

My old f-key shortcut program started doing goofy things sometime long ago so I found and downloaded SimpleKeys 2 that utilizes any spare function keys, and works really well for my case as I use the Apple extended keyboard.

Just a click of the particular preset function key and the application is running or switches to front active mode. I also used it for inserting some boilerplate text. I'm sure you would appreciate using it:
    SimpleKeys 2
    SimpleKeys 2 – piDog Software

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information