Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    App for easier viewing and organising files ?
    Ian,

That's awesome! Glad this is helpful.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

I'm a long time user of Path Finder; mainly for the convenience of the Dual Browser, but for other innovative features as well.

But, the big rewrite released as 8.x has been a disappointment due to many annoying bugs; some of which have been fixed, some not.

I checked to see if Ian's tag trick would work in PF. It does, but I can't get PF to show the saved search in the Sidebar.

There are a couple reports of this bug on the PF forum, but no substantial response from the developers:

There's no way I can figure out to add a 'Saved Search' to any areas of the sidebar in PF8. PF7 allowed this.
    I won't bother to list all the bugs I've encountered with this release, but anyone considering PF as a Finder alternative should realize that they're out there.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Does no-one use a Spotlight search?
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Does no-one use a Spotlight search?
    Spotlight search works to an extent to find files, but has a lot of extra stuff in there cluttering things up. It also does not search tags. I've found spotlight largely to be useful to launch apps, that's about it.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I agree, Ashwin, for me, Spotlight is best for launching apps. Fast and accurate.

And, to be fair, you can use these tips from Apple on how to narrow your searches either in Spotlight itself or via Finder: Narrow your search results on Mac - Apple Support

Otherwise Spotlight is pretty hopeless.

But nothing beats Tags for finding files or data; but, big but, that requires endless diligence from the user to tag all saved Files. (see #9-12 above)

EasyFind and Find Any File are third party apps of considerable merit.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    One wonders if the OP was helped by any of the replies...

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    Hard to tell when they don't come back.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post

It's hard to know as already mentioned, but I know I and it seems like several other members certainly learned something. And that's saying a lot considering most of us are old and fairly experienced Mac OS users.

Old dogs but some new tricks. Neat!!!

Heck, I was already learning something new when reading the How to Rename Tags on Mac article yesterday evening, and in so doing, also learnt some other interesting things as to how tags and labels work that I've used for years. But now I can use them even better, so thanks to all and for the additional info.
    How to Rename Tags on Mac
    Now that's a real sentence mouthful eh...???

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2019 iMac 21.5 Retina, 10.14.5; 2014 iMac HSierra; 2014 MBAir HSierra;2017MB 12" Mojave, 2iPhone6s
    Dear all,

Very sorry to have taken so long to reply to all your advice ! You have given so many great ideas, including tags which to tell the truth I had no idea what they were for

I had also never thought of using a second Finder window - again, it didn't dawn on me how it could be useful.

@Charlie, thanks for suggesting Path Finder, I will take a look and see if it is going to make my life easier.

@Ashwin, I agree that my file organization is not ideal, that's what I'm trying to solve . Like you, I didn't want to put everything on iCloud in case I couldn't get to it while on travel (or simply outside my home office). So I stopped the iCloud sync in the middle (dumb) and now some files are there and some are not. And then I copied files/folders to a memory stick for use on travel - same reason as you but don't want to carry a hard drive around in my purse ! I could back all the memory sticks up to a HDD but then I would have even more copies of the same files.... or different versions of the same files.

Maybe the basic problem is that I use two computers, one that has lots of storage space and one (Macbook) that doesn't.

Maybe the use of tags, as suggested by Ashwin, will help me locate the duplicate files. Will the computer recognise different versions of a file with the same name ?

Bottom line : many thanks. Wish me the time to sit down and work this out.

Ann

Your Mac's Specs
    2019 iMac 21.5 Retina, 10.14.5; 2014 iMac HSierra; 2014 MBAir HSierra;2017MB 12" Mojave, 2iPhone6s
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Hard to tell when they don't come back.
    Oh dear, as the OP I am doubly sorry that I didn't come back before now. Truth is, I got overwhelmed with work and other things.
    I found this thread incredibly interesting and helpful. In the end, I just have to take some time to implement one or more of the great suggestions.
    And great to know that others have been helped as well, even the veterans.
    Thank you all. Mac-Forums has really come through this time !

Your Mac's Specs
    And one more reply, since you wanted to know whether I had been helped or not : at @Ratsima's suggestion, I did download Path Finder, the free version for the time being. I note that there is an 8.5 but I downloaded the 8 version that apparently was flawed. In any case, I like it !! It looks so much like Finder but is a whole lot easier to use. I also downloaded EasyFind, which I thought was good until I looked at Path Finder (paying versus free...).
    It's still a struggle to untangle the knots of my filing system, but a little easier now.
    To be continued.
    Thanks again all!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @AMACL:

Note that we suggested Path Finder to you in post #4. Anyway glad you finally decided on something and came back to let us know. And by the way, Path Finder works well in Catalina.

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 27" iMac 3.4 GHz OS 10.14.06 32 GB, 2013 15" McBk Pro Retina 16 GB OS 10.14.6, iPhone XR, iPads
    I have found "Duplicate Detective" (upgraded this last August), useful for finding duplicate files but a system wide search takes a long time. Much more effective if you can isolate your search to a much smaller grouping in a folder or so.

Another app I use for this is "Kaleidoscope" (although it has not been upgraded since Nov. '17), which will compare files (in a line by line manner, so you can compare the individual files for any changes) and folder lists to make sure you have all of your files in the folder...

BE Well,
    Greg

Your Mac's Specs
    Question Path Finder - new question
    @chscag, Indeed I acknowledge that you suggested Path Finder - that's why I downloaded it !! I have now bought it.

The reason I did not react earlier was in part because I didn't realize there were two pages of replies. I admit that was dumb.

I have a basic question though : is there any reason why I should NOT allow Path Finder access to my system, as it is requesting? Since my computer was invaded by malware a couple months ago, I am paranoid about this kind of thing. But surely it must be safe or people would not trust this software ?

@Greg_ghp, thanks for the info about the duplicate finder. I may indeed need it to weed out the duplicates everywhere on my systems.

Cheers

Ann

Thread Information