Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac

I have Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac installed on my iMac. I launched Word and got the following:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 6.54.08 PM.png

I clicked Learn More at the bottom and it took me to this link:
    Essential services for Office | Microsoft Docs

I understand what it says in the blue section at the top. Is this a general statement put out for anyone running office instead of differentiating between Windows and Mac?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Just disregard the notice as it's for Windows users. MS Office 2011 is no longer being updated or supported by Microsoft. The auto update function of MS Office 2011 no longer works, however, you can still find updates by going to their forums.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Just disregard the notice as it's for Windows users. MS Office 2011 is no longer being updated or supported by Microsoft. The auto update function of MS Office 2011 no longer works, however, you can still find updates by going to their forums.
    Thank you very much for your reply and insight; I do appreciate it. I know that MS Office 2011 is no longer being updated or supported by Microsoft. I was wondering at this point, is there a need to update to the subscription version of office or is it one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannheim62 View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply and insight; I do appreciate it. I know that MS Office 2011 is no longer being updated or supported by Microsoft. I was wondering at this point, is there a need to update to the subscription version of office or is it one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
    If you ended up with the MS Office AutoUpdate getting installed and your Office 2011 is working properly, then I would Trash the AutoUpdate crap and just carry on.

I just got hit the their "update" insistence crap the other day and it just goofed up my MS Office 2011. Got the auto-update removed, and everything back and working normally.

Normally running Mavericks 10.9.5 if that matters.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    If you ended up with the MS Office AutoUpdate getting installed and your Office 2011 is working properly, then I would Trash the AutoUpdate crap and just carry on.

I just got hit the their "update" insistence crap the other day and it just goofed up my MS Office 2011. Got the auto-update removed, and everything back and working normally.

Normally running Mavericks 10.9.5 if that matters.

- Patrick
    ======
    Thanks so much. I looked for the MS Office AutoUpdate but didn't see it in my Applications folder. The closest I found was the "Microsoft Communicator App".

Thanks so much. I looked for the MS Office AutoUpdate but didn't see it in my Applications folder. The closest I found was the "Microsoft Communicator App".

Maybe you don't have it.

As I recall I got it when doing a MS Office 2011 Word update check and I believe it suggested I install their "Auto-Update.app".

Not a good idea or even required for an office suite MS hasn't even supported for a good number of years now.

- Patrick
    ======

Maybe you don't have it.

As I recall I got it when doing a MS Office 2011 Word update check and I believe it suggested I install their "Auto-Update.app".

Not a good idea or even required for an office suite MS hasn't even supported for a good number of years now.

- Patrick
    ======
    Thanks Patrick. I just launched Word and the Auto Update popped up with the same photo as in my OP. The only option I have is to click OK. So at this point I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Mike

The only option I have is to click OK. So at this point I'll give it a try and see what happens.

In such cases, you should still have the option to use your OS' Force Quit option on the auto-update app.

ie: Tell it and get it to just buzz off. Politely.

- Patrick
    ======

In such cases, you should still have the option to use your OS' Force Quit option on the auto-update app.

ie: Tell it and get it to just buzz off. Politely.

- Patrick
    ======
    Actually that's what I've been doing and will continue to do so. Thanks again Patrick; much appreciated.

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    AutoUpdate may be in the Utilities folder, or maybe even the Software Support folder in your users Library folder?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    As far as the message encountered & mentioned in post #1. It's basically an "opt-in" or "opt-out" message (we get these all the time from Apple and other app developers).

I just launched Word and the Auto Update popped up with the same photo as in my OP. The only option I have is to click OK. So at this point I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    I would suggest being very careful regarding deleting or trashing anything. With an app this old (2011)...probably going to get very little support from Microsoft.

About a year ago I replaced the hard drive on my 2011 MacBook Pro (which had MS Office 2011 installed)...and when I migrated everything from the old drive to the new drive...somehow the registration info for Office 2011 didn't transfer. So I had to re-register from scratch. Had to search & search for the install/security key...and had to jump thru all sorts of hoops to finally get Office re-registered...and fully updated.

Any installed tool for an old app like Office 2011 I would keep. It might come in real handy for an unknown reason.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    AutoUpdate may be in the Utilities folder, or maybe even the Software Support folder in your users Library folder?
    Thank you Bob, much appreciated.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    As far as the message encountered & mentioned in post #1. It's basically an "opt-in" or "opt-out" message (we get these all the time from Apple and other app developers).

I would suggest being very careful regarding deleting or trashing anything. With an app this old (2011)...probably going to get very little support from Microsoft.

About a year ago I replaced the hard drive on my 2011 MacBook Pro (which had MS Office 2011 installed)...and when I migrated everything from the old drive to the new drive...somehow the registration info for Office 2011 didn't transfer. So I had to re-register from scratch. Had to search & search for the install/security key...and had to jump thru all sorts of hoops to finally get Office re-registered...and fully updated.

Any installed tool for an old app like Office 2011 I would keep. It might come in real handy for an unknown reason.

- Nick
    Thank you Nick. So far I've trashed a "Microsoft Auto Update" folder and a "Microsoft Auto Update daemon" in my Library. I then shut down and restarted my iMac and guess what popped up? You guessed it, the same Auto Update in my OP. I did a force quit, then launched Word then Excel and they are functioning fine. So at this point, I'm wondering what is best. Should I keep doing a Force Quit or click OK in the box that pops up? As stated in the first reply to my OP, this notice is for Windows users.

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    If I remember correctly, the Auto Update launches from a hidden folder in the System Library folder (not the user library). Here's how you may be able to find it and remove it:

Click on the Apple icon and select "About this Mac". Then select "system report". Go down to "Software" and select "Applications". Expand the dialog and carefully examine each application. You'll note as you select an application, its location will be listed. The location, however, may be hidden so you may have to unhide it first before removing it.

That's how I found the MS Auto Update that launches on startup. Note that you will need your admin password before deleting it.

AND now OT here, but can anybody tell me why my reply post won't load here???

It spins and goes through the actions but never arrives.

So I'm going to try just this.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information