Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Like Mac-Forums Facebook Page

gmail problem with apple mail program

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Hi All,
    I'm posting today for my girlfriend who knows less about computers than I do, and I don't know much.

Her problem is with the Apple Mail program and she's unable to retrieve her emails from her gmail account.

She has a MacBook Pro, mid-2009, using OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). She uses an ethernet connection, not wi-fi, to connect to the internet.

Apparently, Mail just stopped being able to retrieve emails from her gmail account but she was always able to go to gmail online and get her emails. But she prefers to read her gmail emails using Apple mail.

So what she did was to goto her gmail account online and set a new password, however she didn't update her Mail program -> Preferences -> Accounts -> Server settings. So, of course, I told her to update the (Apple) Mail program with the new password but this didn't work and she still cannot get gmail emails thru the Apple mail program. Now, she uses other email accounts as well and these all work fine thru Apple mail.

Now, as I said, I don't know much but I thought she could get rid of the gmail account in Apple mail and start over with new passwords that all match and re-establish the gmail in Apple mail in that fashion. However, before doing that, I thought it prudent to save her present emails in her gmail account (about 800 emails). What I tried to do was to select all these 800 emails (edit -> select all) and drag this to a flash drive but that didn't work. How can I get these emails to the flash drive? She may have some important older emails that should be saved first.

Any ideas about getting the Apple Mail program to work with her gmail account. I'm pretty sure, but not positive, this has to something with IMAP and SMPT passwords. I tried looking these passwords up in the Keychain Access but her Keychain Access seems organized completely differently than mine ( I have an iMac, about the same year).

I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks in adv for any help,
    Bob M.

First thing to check is how the Gmail account is configured in Apple Mail and confirm it is indeed IMAP as opposed to POP. If she is able to see all of her email on the Gmail Web interface during all of this, it's likely IMAP, but it's good to confirm.

With that said, you do NOT need to do any backup work since all the email is already sitting on the GMail servers and you were just "viewing" them through Apple Mail anyway, you didn't download them off the GMail server, so no risk in losing anything here.

Your suggested course of action of remove the GMail account from Apple Mail and re-adding it is the correct way of attempt to fix this. If she doesn't enter the right password, it won't even add the account which is a good indication of what the problem is. When you are adding the account, ensure to use IMAP as you connection type and if you need help with server info, then use this page.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    What's the difference between IMAP and POP? Is one better (newer) than the other? I take it they are not compatible.

Yes, I know the older emails still are on the gmail site online but I was just asking for my own knowledge how to transfer some emails to a flash drive. I was unable how to figure this out. I know I can select and drag text edit files to the flash drive but I haven't figured out how to just transfer emails yet. I guess I could copy the text parts of the emails to newly created text edit files and transfer them that way but that seems like a lot of work that would take a long time. It seems to me there must be a more efficient solution.

Thanks,
    Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    IMAP is newer than POP, see if this helps, IMAP vs. POP3: What Is It and Which One Should You Use?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Emails don't transport like files. To get email into a format that can be manipulated like a file you can select File, Export as PDF from the top bar menu in Mail, but that leads to having 800 PDF files (in this case). If that result is acceptable, you can use that to save the 800 PDFs on the external drive directly. The file names will be the subject line of the email. These PDFs, however, cannot be imported to Mail later on, they will just be a backup for her in case something goes wrong with the suggestions made by Bob and Ashwin.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've never used it personally but EmailArchiver Pro might get the job done for you. It's not free but a personal license seems to let you archive email from up to 5 accounts. It saves the contents as searchable PDFs.

IIRC there are other email archiving programs with similar capabilities. There is also some email archiving ability in Mail. Here's an overview of the process. It's for an older version of Mail but I think you'll get the idea.
    Last edited by Slydude; 08-01-2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added link for Mail's archiving function
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Ok, so I'm now sitting at my friend's MacBook Pro. We erased the gmail.com account in the email preferences with the idea of re-installing it. We then went online to the gmail account online and logged in to assure to both of us that we can read the emails online. Then, we returned to Apple email preferences, and tried to add a new account. We used the same email address and password that we just used minutes before to log-in online to gmail account but we were unsuccessful. We got an error message that the password or user account name was wrong. We triple checked our work and tried it multiple times and I guarantee our info was entered correctly and was right. I'm thinking that because we are using an older version of Mac OS X (10.6.8 - snow leopard) that this might be the source of our problem as to now being able to add a new email account to Apple mail. What to do? Anyone out there have any ideas to try next???
    Thanks for you time,
    Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I'm thinking that because we are using an older version of Mac OS X (10.6.8 - snow leopard) that this might be the source of our problem as to now being able to add a new email account to Apple mail. What to do? Anyone out there have any ideas to try next???
    I suspect you're correct. GMail has changed minimum requirements for access through Apple Mail. I'm not sure what the minimum macOS that can be used but suspect it may be either Sierra or High Sierra.

What to do you ask... Well, short of upgrading macOS you might try switching mail clients. I believe Thunderbird Mail (which is free) may still support Snow Leopard but am not sure. Of course you can continue to use webmail to access the Gmail servers but that can be cumbersome.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Sad but true, there is just this industry expectation that everyone will upgrade and update. It's unfair but it is the same with all technology, we must adapt or update.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Thread Information