Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Google's secret update software and how to remove it.
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.13.3 beta
    I'm not at the stage of wearing a tinfoil hat just yet. The attached article was something I came across by accident while attempting to solve a different problem. Namely how to install Google's "Download an Sync" app which I have had or did have before restoring my MBP after a disastrous failure of my OS and clone.

I began to think that due to my download of a new copy of Google Chrome I may have accidentally caused either conflict or duplication of Google's Software Updater which although invisible has shown up numerous times recently because it failed to run (notification).
    The other thing I noticed was that my system was intermittently slowing down displaying the "SPOD" (Spinning Pizza Of Death) at time when there was little or no load on the system.
    Activity Monitor showed Google was "phoning home" for some reason which I could not understand but did not really want. To top it off Chrome started launching at startup despite not being in startup items. I definitely didn't want that.

I was motivated to do a little online research and came across this site; how to remove Google’s secret update software from your mac |

I resolved to kill as many birds as possible with one stone and completely remove all things Google from my device (or at least all the apps) as all the services I use are available online and essentially unnecessary for me these days.

So using the tool described on the link (which is by philastokes the developer of DetectX Swift) called "my Terminal Workflow", I successfully located and removed all instances of Googles "Keystone Agent" software along with all preference files and the Google Chrome browser.

The My Terminal Workflow utility was easy enough to install and setup once I translated the instructions into Mojave equivalents and could be a very useful tool for those who use Terminal scripts frequently although I could not get the triple click option to work the keyboard command worked just fine.

I am not suggesting this course I've taken as something everyone should do especially if you are a beginner or novice user of Terminal.
    I had a specific problem which led me to make a decision to remove Google applications on macOS. I still have Google Maps, Translate, Photos, Calendar and the Google verification app on iOS.

What I can say is my MBP has sped up significantly and I am now able to install the Google Download and Sync app should I wish to do so in the future.

My mistake was in restoring my Home Folder from backup then reinstalling a new instance of the Google Chrome app I retrospect I can see that using an app uninstaller like "Delete Apps" probably would have achieved a similar but less thorough result.

The article makes a good read anyhow and I think the little Terminal Workflow utility is brilliant.
    Last edited by chscag; 07-23-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Title sp.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm not at the stage of wearing a tinfoil hat just yet.
    But how do you know when you've crossed the line...and/or how do you know that you haven't crossed it already??

Just teasing.

I was motivated to do a little online research and came across this site; how to remove Google’s secret update software from your mac |
    Thanks for digging this up. Always great to have freedom of choice (keep it or get rid of it).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks Rod. I had that running because I have Chrome as well as the Google Chat plugin on my system. I used one of the tips in the article to set the checking interval to 0.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Thanks, I just uninstalled Google Chrome. I only used it for streaming Netflix/Amazon Prime Video, and I was not signed in to my google account. I did the terminal test and it was good to go.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Nick, no offense taken, I know what you mean. I suppose on that topic I just like disclosure. Then I can make my own choices, which as you say, in the end is what I did. Anyway I hardly ever used Chrome, Firefox and Safari are my go to browsers and I keep Vivaldi spare for Vivaldi Mail and some of its unique features which occasionally come in handy.
    My case was a bit different but as Sly said setting the checking period to zero would be a good option for many.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I have Chrome installed for a work-related site and the chat plugin was from when Van and I started doing the Sunday chats. I'm planning to get back to those soon but shouldn't need the plugon with the format I'm using.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Nick, no offense taken, I know what you mean.
    It's kind of like a dude going bald. You're 25 with a full head of hair...but occasionally you see some strands of hair in the shower drain. This goes on day after day...year after year...suddenly you're 40 and bald.

Got to ask yourself...when exactly did I cross the line from being a "stud-ly" 25 year old with a full head of hair...to a bald 40 year-old?? Hmmm.

- Nick

p.s. Sorry...off-topic.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Haha! Like most things it took me a little longer but I ended up with the same result.

Thread Information