Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iMazing taking up 200GB of drive space!
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The free space on my internal SSD had declined a bit ago. I've been trying to cull what I can and move what I can off the internal to a external drive. Daisy Disk informed me that iMazing was taking up just under 200GB of the drive, about 194GB. Investigating it showed that the space was in ~/Library/Application Support/iMazing/Backups. Ah, that sort of makes sense in that I have an iPhone with 143GB used and an iPad with 110GB used and I've backed them up using iMazing. Easy to fix.

So I go to iMazing preferences and set the default backup location to my external drive and do new backups on both the iPhone and iPad. Delete the prior backups through iMazing, get back all happy-happy results.

So let's see how much space I've recovered. Oops, Get info on the drive says exactly the same. Nothing in the trash. Daisy Disk reports that iMazing was taking up 194GB, this time in a subfolder named "Versions" in ~/Library/Application Support/iMazing.

Ah, that must be the "archiving" location. Enter iMazing, turn off archiving on both devices. No change.

Getting more aggressive now, use Finder to locate the Versions folders, drag both to the trash and empty the trash. Run Daisy Disk and WTH? They both have reappeared in ~/Library/Application Support/iMazing/Versions!

Maybe it's because iMazing mini is running in the top bar. Stop that, repeat the delete, repeat Daisy Disk. Files reappeared again. Look in Activity Monitor, don't see anything related to iMazing running.

So, braintrust, how do I make iMazing stop stealing 194GB of drive space? I am thisclose to just getting rid of iMazing even though it's otherwise a great product. Do I have to uninstall it and then reinstall, reconfigure and start all over to get that space back? I looked at the iMazing website and didn't see anything on how to recover that space.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I'm doing some checking right now Jake. I have Path Finder set to show hidden files and folders and should be able to see where iMazing is using space. I might add that the customer support folks at iMazing are always very responsive to questions and usually will respond the same or next day.

I'll let you know.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I just went thru all options of iMazing and checked space used. I'm not showing any excess amount of drive space being used. Additionally, I went to the folders you indicated above and it appears that iMazing was only keeping the last one or two backups and associated information. I'm currently backing up 2 iPhones and 1 iPad.

I may have options set differently from you though so not sure what it all means. Also, I do not use iMazing Mini.

how do I make iMazing stop stealing 194GB of drive space?

Rather interesting!!!

I just did a quick chek on "iMazing" items using Find Any File.app and there seem to be rather oreiller large number of what appear to be surplus stuff and questionable resources that I had never really noticed before. Hmmm...??? I'm curious to learn what you find out and then I may dig into my own iMazing stuff myself and see if I can find what's what.

Curious question...???:
    = Why would imazing Mini have 845 custom icons ("Emojis") sitting in a resources folder???
    = why do I seem to have for several what appeared to be duplicate "backups"???

Thanks for the heads up/

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-22-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Why do you think iMazing is using too much space? As far as I can tell, iMazing backups should be using more than 250GB if you’re backing up both devices?

I have 4 devices I backup using iMazing, but they are across three macOS user accounts, and they only take up about 30GB space?

What settings are you using for iMazing for Automatic Backups and Backup Archiving? I have mine set to backup weekly, and save backups for 1 month? So I have 4 backups of each device.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, I fully expect the backups to take a lot of space. That's why I put them on EXTERNAL drives and not the internal drive in the MBP. That 200GB is in addition to the 250GB taken up on the external drive. So if I look at it in total, the backups of two devices that have a total of about 250GB of data are over 450GB, 250GB on the external and another 200GB still on the internal. I just want that internal space back. My settings in iMazing all point to that external drive, both as the default and for each iDevice. I do manual backups, only want one, no history, so I deleted all old backups when I made the new one today. I can't afford 4 backups because I'd need 2TB of space for that, given how it's going.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Jake

I know how unhelpful it is for someone else to say that's not happened to me Fact is, my total iMazing BUs come out at just under 35GB (one iPhone, one iPad Pro - I BU my wife's devices on same Apple ID just to iTunes and not that frequently as she has little on them).

However, I may have found a solution for you.

If you are certain that your BUs are safely on your EHD, open iMazing > Preferences > General > Clear iMazing Cache - as in this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.20.44 pm?.png

I think that that should clear your BUs??

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Ian, thanks, but we'll never know if that would have worked. I've totally eliminated all of iMazing, plan to start all over.

For those reading this later, I used AppCleaner to clean out most of the scat left all over the place by iMazing. Not all, but most. I found by using Find Any File more stuff in /private and ~/Library/Cookies that needed to be manually deleted, eventually got all of them gone, I think. I had to search both on DigiDNA and on iMazing.

So now I've recovered well over 200GB on my internal drive and 250GB on my external and am ready to try again afresh. Off to download the app again.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    I can't afford 4 backups because I'd need 2TB of space for that, given how it's going.
    I don't think that is how it works, but I may be wrong? Just like Time Machine, I believe they are linked to the original files? But, like I said, I could be wrong.

My 4 devices only take up 30 GB of space, that's for an iPhone 6, and an iPad Air 2, both 16GB, and an iPhone 8+ 64GB along with an iPad Pro 128GB. Here's the space used;

iPhone 8+ - 24GB available
    iPad Pro - 87GB available
    iPhone 6 - 4GB available
    iPad Air - less than 1GB available

Edit: I also have my iMazing backups saved to Macintosh HD > Users > Shared, and I created an iMazing folder there, and all users share that folder for backups.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 07-22-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added info
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

I think that that should clear your BUs??

Gee, that sounds a bit drastic, but why would one Completely reset iMazing, and set it to Reset to Factory Settings.

That sounds a bit drastic for fixing some backup fix to me, or am I misunderstanding something.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Bob, it totally depends on how much data is in the backup. In my case the two devices total about 250GB of data, so the backups should be about that size, given that I only have the one backup of each. The problem is that in addition to that 250GB there is an additional 200GB consumed on the hard drive that is NOT part of the backup in any way. And that's what I want back.

Patrick, the issue is that NOTHING I have tried has released as much as 1 byte of that 200GB of extra taken on the internal drive. The only thing that released it was to use AppCleaner and FAF to find and destroy every vestige of iMazing. I'm going to give it one more try and set the default backup location to that external drive again BEFORE I let any device attach to iMazing to see if doing it that way keeps the internal clean, but if I end up in the same boat of giving up 450GB of storage for 250GB of backup, I'll ditch iMazing totally. I'll report back.
    Jake

Patrick, the issue is that NOTHING I have tried has released as much as 1 byte of that 200GB of extra taken on the internal drive. The only thing that released it was to use AppCleaner and FAF to find and destroy every vestige of iMazing.

OK, and I wonder what they mean in an article I was reading when they say:
    [iMazing] Make[s] Time Machine style backups
    WWDC Coverage Sponsor: Use iMazing to Manage all your iOS Devices - The Mac Observer

Is one supposed to use iMazing.app to delete the backups just like one is supposed to do with Time Machine??? Things sure don't look any different or special from any Finder type file or what Carbon Copy Cloner etc. would create to me.

But maybe they do use some sort of oddball file-linking but the normal Mac stuff doesn't see or can't cope with properly.

I await your further discoveries.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, they use links to files that are unchanged, much like TM does. So you need to delete backups through iMazing. But the issue I had was that after telling iMazing to use a different location for backups, making a backup to that location and deleting all other backups through iMazing, it did NOT release the 200GB of space it was taking. At one point the tech from DigiDNA said that to get the true space taken, you navigate in Terminal to the backup location and do a du -h command to get the real disk used. I did that, it totaled 200GB. So it may have had links, but despite being deleted, it didn't delete when iMazing was told to delete it.

I've now reinstalled and re-registered iMazing and am in the process of making the first backup. It's been about 1.5 hours and it isn't done. It keeps getting to about 20% done and then restarting. I've now changed cables and am trying again. No error messages, it just stops and cycles back to the beginning. I'm watching both the target drive, which is being written to, and the internal drive, which so far is not.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, it's been an adventure. Started the backup, as I said in the post #13 at 7:10 today, just a few minutes after 6 pm. It just finished for the second device. So that took 3 hours to do two backups totaling 250GB. Not fast, but at least it finished. Now for the results: The iMazin folder in ~/Library is 88MB, down from 200+ GB. The target drive where the backups are now shows 240GB using "du -h" in Terminal. Finder thinks that's 323GB, which is consistent with what DigiDNA said about space being double counted in macOS and Windows.

So, the lesson seems to be that if you install iMazing and just go with defaults, you could find that it will take a lot of disk space as it builds backups on backups. And, to me more importantly, if you start with the default and switch to an external later, as I did, it won't erase/release that internal space when you do that. So, my recommendation is that you decide where you want backups before you install iMazing, set that in Preferences before you attach any device. My SSD now has 200GB more free space than it did before I started this exercise and I am a happy camper.
    Jake

My SSD now has 200GB more free space than it did before I started this exercise and I am a happy camper.

Congratulations Jake, and good sleuthing, and that's a LOT of expensive SSD real estate, and especially so on a portable Mac.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information