Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    iMazing taking up 200GB of drive space!
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Thanks, Patrick. That was exactly why I started this adventure. My SSD was getting pretty full and to upgrade from a 1TB to a 2TB was going to be a pricey move. So I decided to take some things off the drive, but the iMazing backups proved pretty hard to get rid of. Now my drive has over 400GB free, I have a significant amount of money I don't have to spend and life is pretty good.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Your perseverance and dedication to problem solving is an example to all of us, Jake.

Well done.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I think the point about using iMazing to delete iMazing backups is an important one too. Time was when I frequently heard from OP's who had tried to delete TM backups by dragging them to the Trash as well. The simplest fix was to erase the TM backup empty the Trash and start again. Which is sort of what you did Jake.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    Rod, that's true, but I did that only after iMazing failed to delete the backups. I really didn't have any choice, they would not go away in any other way. Normally, I would not recommend what I did for a casual deletion of a backup. What remains to be seen is what iMazing will now do when I make another backup of the iPad/iPhone and delete the older backup. It will be interesting to see if I get any space back on the External where everything is now supposed to be kept.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    It will be interesting to see if I get any space back on the External where everything is now supposed to be kept.
    @MacInWin, why do you think you should be getting space back?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well, if I delete a backup, I should recover at least some space, the space on which that backup is written. I don't use iMazing to make automatic backups, I do it manually and not very frequently (the data on my iDevices is not critical, for the most part). So now iMazing has taken 250GB of that External drive to store the first backup. When I make a second backup that space taken by iMazing will grow for that new backup. When I delete the first backup I should get some space back from that deletion.
    Jake

So now iMazing has taken 250GB of that External drive to store the first backup.

Just curious, but what is the total used space of the the iDevice(s) you are backing up with iMazing?

It sounds like from your description that iMazing is actually making an image or sparse image of the total size of the iDevice storage Drive ie: = 250GB.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I gave that information in Post #1:
    I have an iPhone with 143GB used and an iPad with 110GB used and I've backed them up using iMazing
    EDIT: and I think the sparsebundle format is exactly what is being used as the backup folder holds two subfolders with the UUIDs of the two devices and in those folders are hex numbered folders and in those are files of varying sizes with all numeric names. I don't mind the sparsebundle approach, but the fact that previous backups don't delete (or at least did not for me) is not a good thing.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Ok, that's how it should work. When you did it, from the beginning of this thread, what steps did you use to delete the old backups? Did you follow these steps, Manage your backups with iMazing If you just tried to delete the Notifications in iMazing Mini, that wouldn't delete the backup file.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Yes, Bob, that is exactly the process I used. To be perfectly clear I did this:
    To delete a single backup:

In the sidebar, select your device.
    In the upper toolbar, click the Backups button. This will open the Backup List.
    In the Backup list, select the backup you want to delete.
    Click Delete and confirm.
    The problem that then resulted was that iMazing indicated the backups were no longer there, but did not do any actual deletion of the files/links/whatever they used to create those backups. And that failure to delete left me with 200GB of space taken up that iMazing didn't show as taken up and which would NOT delete any other way. And that led to the requirement to completely destroy the iMazing installation, including several hidden folders and files that DigiDNA had sprinkled all over the system.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    One more update. Things are going from good to great here! I only turn on TM twice a day to make a backup and in that time it creates a snapshot. There are at most two of them on my system. In the process of mucking about with iMazing, I came to believe that when it is running, or when iMazing Mini is running, that the system is taking what are the equivalent of snapshots, but they call archiving. At their website they say
    iMazing archives your backups automatically, a unique solution that is comparable to a Time Machine for your device.
    From what I could see, whenever iMazing or iMazing Mini is running and your iDevice is available to be seen by iMazing, it is checking for things that have changed on the iDevice and putting those things into a folder in iMazing.backups located at <<path>>iMazing.backups/iMazing Versions/<<UUID of device>>/. All of that is, I suppose, a sort of good thing. But the downside is that if you receive Mail on your devices and a mail message arrives, the database for Mail changes, so a copy gets put into that location waiting for you to make a backup. Just like TM, this process is continuing on some regular basis. Now add in TM snapshots and that same data will now be included in the snapshot. All of a sudden you now have twice the space taken up for that database. And if you have two devices like I do and the mail arrives on both, you end up with four copies. Disk space is being consumed at a pretty rapid clip. I changed my setup to NOT have iMazing Mini launch at boot and have taken iMazing out of the Login items for my account. So it only runs when I turn it on to make a backup. I've noticed a drop in disk activity in Activity Monitor and the activity lights on my external drive where the backups are being put are showing no activity instead of the random but frequent activity that was the situation before. Nothing else has changed, so I'm attributing that cessation of activity to not having iMazing running.

So today when TM ran at noon, the snapshot it made did not have the backup information that had previously been on my internal drive. And that trigged another recovery of space. All of that is to say that yesterday before I started the process my 1TB SSD had 150GB free, today it is showing 459GB free. Nice!

You might want to check your own systems for similar things. I've recovered over 300GB of space just by forcing iMazing to use an external drive and by not letting it run constantly. It is a good product, but I recommend you don't leave it running all the time because the price (in storage) is too high.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Jake, I don't think that any iOS device backup includes Mail, here's what iMazing backs up, What data is included in an iPhone or iPad backup?
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Think I'll br changing a few things. I have three devices backed up and I hsd never thought about TM backups essentially doubling up the iMazing backrps.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Think I'll br changing a few things. I have three devices backed up and I hsd never thought about TM backups essentially doubling up the iMazing backrps.
    I thought more backups can't hurt?
    -- Bob --

Your Mac's Specs
    From my work on it, I think it can be a real data hog if you leave it running. Even if Mail is not backed up, there are things they show on that page as definitely being backed up that change frequently (Reminders, Calendar, Messages, Notes, Applications and Photos). For a better example than Mail, if you have, like I do, 9000 images in Photos and take one picture to add to it, that entire database is now copied as a new backup, duplicated in the next TM Snapshot and if it syncs to another iDevice (like my iPad, where I do also sync), then you end up with FOUR copies of the photos database.

Now I don't know exactly what is being backed up, but my iPhone says it has 143.4GB used and my iPad has 113.6GB used. In the backup for both of them iMazing has taken up 152GB in the backup folders on the external drive as reported by running du -h in that folder. So some things are not being backed up, and iMazing is compressing pretty well, but still, if you have a large storage device (or two) and use that storage for volatile things like pictures/messages/calendars, etc, then iMazing will start to consume a large amount of space. Now add in TM and CCC snapshots and things start to multiply pretty quickly, as I found out.

But it's a free country, so you do whatever you think is best for you. For me, I've recovered a LOT of space just by moving the backups to an external drive and not letting iMazing run all the time. I'm not saying iMazing isn't a good product, or that it should not be used, I'm just trying to say that if you use it, keep an eye on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought more backups can't hurt?
    For TM, the issue is not so much the backup as it is the snapshots TM makes. My TM backup is to a different external drive, one with tons of storage, so I don't care how many times TM duplicates data there. But I do care about taking my internal drive space in snapshots.
    Jake

Thread Information