Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

odd printing behavior in TextEdit & other Apple apps

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini (late 2012), macOS 10.14.5
    This past Saturday, July 13, 2019, TextEdit started behaving very strange when I printed a .txt file. It's so strange I think you'll only understand the symptoms if you look at my attachments. But in brief, when I send the document to the printer, it truncates part of both ends of each line, resulting in a fixed-width output but with characters missing on the left and right (i.e., it's *not* wrapping to a fixed width). And in some cases the first and/or last character that actually prints on each line, is itself truncated. But if I Save as PDF, or use another app such as LibreOffice, the output looks correct. At first I thought TextEdit was the only app that was printing in this odd fashion, but today it occurred to me to send the same block of text to myself in an e-mail and then try printing the e-mail from the Mail app. Same problem! What about another Apple app, say Pages? Yup, it printed badly as well. But BBEdit & NeoOffice, just fine. So it appears to be a problem common to Apple apps.

Here are my system details:
    Mac mini (late 2012), macOS 10.14.5 (since 5/21/2019)
    TextEdit 1.14 (since 1/21/2019), Mail 12.4 (since 4/3/2019)
    Pages 8.1 (since 6/26/2019)
    Printer: Epson SureColor P400

The first attached image shows what the file looks like in the TextEdit app.
    The 2nd image shows the print menu settings, and the 3rd image is a scan
    of the printed output.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Have you tried adjusting the paper size setting? I noticed that you currently have it set to letter size with narrow margins.

That printer is a wide format photo color printer and quite expensive if you purchase direct from Epson. I would try varying the settings to see if that makes a difference. It is strange though that the margins are off only for certain applications. You stated that you thought it was Apple apps that are not right.

Make sure you have the latest Epson printer driver for Mojave. If necessary, you can try removing the printer and then reinstalling to see if different or later drivers are downloaded. Or you can try downloading the latest printer driver direct from Epson if they have one available.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Another thing you could try is to create a new user account on your Mac, and see if the printer misbehaves in the new account?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you for your suggestions, chscag.
    I tried the standard "US Letter" paper size and that made no difference.
    Then I ran "Epson Software Updater" and it said I was up to date.
    I installed the "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package" recommended on the Epson support site, but that didn't make any difference (I suspect they were the same versions I already had).

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your suggestion, ferrarr.
    I created a new user account and logged in to that. Strange experience seeing everything functioning in total default mode. But unexpectedly, when I printed my document with TextEdit in this new environment, it printed correctly!
    That still leaves the question of how do I find out what is wrong on my normal account?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What changed right before the printer started acting up? That is the most likely candidate for the cause.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Thank you for your response, "MacInWin."
    The nearest change to the start of the problem, that I have a record of, is updating Firefox to v68.0, which seems an unlikely candidate, but there it is. Prior to that, in June there were quite a few updates, though I don't have a record of when the last time was that I had a successful print from TextEdit prior to the problem, but I'm sure I must have done so a few times that month. The known app updates and new installs in June 2019 were: FileMaker Pro, Live Screen Capture, MyDVD Pro, Toast 17 Pro, WinZip Mac Edition, Corel AfterShot 3, FotoMagico 5, iMovie, Painter Essentials, Speedtest, Adobe Bridge CC, Adobe Photoshop CC, Google Chrome, Keynote, Numbers, Pages (and as I noted, Pages was one of the victims), Sound Studio, BBEdit. Kind of hard to make any conclusions from that.
    Last edited by Opnu_Jopni; 07-22-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: duplicate entry

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Have you tried removing the printer from the list of printers, rebooting, then reinstalling it? Don't use any Epson software, just open System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and click the "+" button to add the printer by that mechanism. Doing that should reinitialize the software for the printer.
    Jake

Same problem! What about another Apple app, say Pages? Yup, it printed badly as well. But BBEdit & NeoOffice, just fine. So it appears to be a problem common to Apple apps.

Don't forget that some of the applications you mentioned are actually text editors(TextEdit, BBEdit) not word processors, both of which behave quite differently in page layouts and printing. Also font type and size can and will make a difference.

As things worked well with default printer settings, maybe have a look here:
    How do I set default print settings when I print from Windows or my Mac?
    Epson SureColor P400 | SureColor Series | Single Function Inkjet Printers | Printers | Support | Epson US

If you need more suggestions, maybe try some of the hits from here:
    mac Epson SureColor P400 printer default presets
    mac Epson SureColor P400 printer default presets - Google Search hey

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Since you stated the documents printed correctly in the new user account you created, that makes me think there is a setting in the apps, that has been changed, which is causing the issue. Is there a “reset settings” or “default settings” button, when you go to print the document?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Have you tried removing the printer from the list of printers, rebooting, then reinstalling it? Don't use any Epson software, just open System Preferences, Printers and Scanners and click the "+" button to add the printer by that mechanism. Doing that should reinitialize the software for the printer.
    Thank you for your suggestion, "MacInWin." That worked! I didn't have to add the printer back after restart because it apparently happened automatically during the restart. So bizarre that whatever was wrong only affected Apple apps. Case closed.
    Thanks also to "pm-r" and "ferrarr" for your additional input.

Thread Information