Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Facetime deletion
    iMac High Sierra

How to delete/uninstall Facetime?

Trying to move Facetime app to Trash gives message "The item Facetime can't be moved to Trash because it cannot be deleted"!! --- Even when logged onto "root"

Any suggestions welcome.

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Why do you need to do this? You can remove it from the Dock, then it will only be in the Applications folder?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Facetime deletion
    Facetime is a part of the OS and cannot be deleted. As Bob said, why do you want/need to do this?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I think a lot of folks are reacting to the latest scare about the new "Face app". Facetime has nothing to do with this app if that's your worry and as already been said, just move it off the dock if it's there. If you still are concerned about Facetime, you'll need to turn off SIP before deleting it. Once deleted it can not be restored except only by reinstalling macOS.

Facetime deletion
    How to delete/uninstall Facetime?
    I'd also be curious for the reasons of wanting to do so.

Anyway, just using a quick Google search provide several hits of how to do so:
    mac can Facetime be deleted - Google Search

And among some of those hits are instructions and I have no idea how valid they are or if they even work:
    How to Uninstall FaceTime Application/Software on Your Mac
    The correct way to remove FaceTime completely

Tips to Perfectly Uninstall FaceTime on Mac OS X
    Tips to Perfectly Uninstall FaceTime on Mac OS X

Regardless of method, doing so as not recommended by most Mac users and you are completely on your own if you follow the directions and you will be responsible for any and all problems doing an attempted removal that you may cause to the operation of your Mac computer.

PS: I also hope you have a current backup if you need any of your personal data saved if you go mucking about.

- Patrick
    ======

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    @Patrick:

As noted above... FaceTime can not be removed as it's a system protected app. I checked the links you show and I don't see how FaceTime can be removed without turning off SIP from recovery first.

Thanks for the replies.
    "Why do you need to do this? You can remove it from the Dock, then it will only be in the Applications folder? "

For future reference, I have backups of everything.

Fundamentally, I didn't ask for it, I don't need it, I don't want it. Anything as extraneous as this should be able to be deleted. The same problem exists with Messages.

It's not exactly part of the OS. It's an app that can be downloaded and hence should be deletable. Why it should be system protected is beyond logic.

All the methods described on the internet asssume directories/files can be moved to Trash so are useless.

The Drectories for Messages & Facetime both have the 'Move to Trash' option removed.

I've turned off SIP and that doesn't work.

I'm in the unfortunate position of finally having to move away from Snow Leopard, arguably the best version of OSX ever, since my latest external financial & business software no longer work on SN. I'm not impressed with Apple arrogance that says 'we like it - you have to have it'.

Facetime deletion
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @Patrick:

As noted above... FaceTime can not be removed as it's a system protected app. I checked the links you show and I don't see how FaceTime can be removed without turning off SIP from recovery first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    "Why do you need to do this? You can remove it from the Dock, then it will only be in the Applications folder? "

For future reference, I have backups of everything.

Fundamentally, I didn't ask for it, I don't need it, I don't want it. Anything as extraneous as this should be able to be deleted. The same problem exists with Messages.

It's not exactly part of the OS. It's an app that can be downloaded and hence should be deletable. Why it should be system protected is beyond logic.

All the methods described on the internet asssume directories/files can be moved to Trash so are useless.

The Drectories for Messages & Facetime both have the 'Move to Trash' option removed.

I've turned off SIP and that doesn't work.

I'm in the unfortunate position of finally having to move away from Snow Leopard, arguably the best version of OSX ever, since my latest external financial & business software no longer work on SN. I'm not impressed with Apple arrogance that says 'we like it - you have to have it'.

I'm afraid that unless you're a possibly a pretty good programmer and hacker, you'll have to learn with "Apples arrogance" but they do have their reasons even if we don't like them.

Just a thought for a workaround for you, you could make a folder for Unused Items for example, then select and compress the applications you don't really want, and then just drag them into that folder and put it somewhere out of sight.

You should be allowed to do that at least, but maybe you may need to tell SIP to take a hike while you do the mods.

PS: If you still have a bootable volume with Snow Leopard as well as a volume with High Sierra, you could try booting up in SL and see if you are not allowed to trash the apps you don't want from High Sierra.

But make sure you have a backup all of your High Sierra volume before mucking about and deleting stuff.

No guarantee it'll work, but snow leopard is a hell of a lot more forgiving and not quite as arrogant. (One of my favorite Mac OS as well.)

Good luck.

PPS: deleting those unwanted apps won't really improve or change things very much other than saving a bit of drive space. And if that's a concern, the surplus languages take up much more space. But that's another topic and please don't just delete all extra languages as you will kill your Mac doing so.

PPPS: Just in case you need some extra help, google will find many pages like the following with some work-arounds:
    https://maccoremac.com/guide-to-uninstalling-mac-apps/

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 07-19-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Seriously? Just disable it in settings. Remove it from the dock. In applications slide it into a group of “why the F.... do I need this” apps and forget it. Job done.
    And still using Snow Leopard ? You can’t be serious?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    And still using Snow Leopard ? You can’t be serious?
    Unfortunately, he's not the only one. Since it's the last version of macOS that included Rosetta, many folks that still use software that was designed for the PPC have stuck with Snow Leopard.

His choice of course even though I think that using such an old version of macOS will be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_R View Post
    It's not exactly a resource hog. Just don't use it. There are apps on iOS you can't delete either. I'm sure there are lots of files and features and other apps you don't even know about in macOS that you didn't ask for nor need nor want, yet you're probably not even thinking about them - just remove it from the dock and enjoy your Mac
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Facetime deletion
    It's NOT a app that can be downloaded, it is bundled with the OS just like Notes, Calendar, Mail, App Store, etc. If you delete any of these and need them again, you either have to restore a backup or re-install the OS.

Just because an app exists on your machine doesn't mean you have to use it, ignore it like the umpteen posts before me have suggested and move on.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Hi pm-r,

Thanks for the reply. Having gone from Basic, Fortran, Cobol , APL & Simula to Java & OO Fortran I've finally learned when not to tamper & when I can.

In Snow Leopard every entry in Applications for example, has 'Move to Trash' available – execution subject to privilege of course.

I'm simply cheesed off with Apple Arrogance. What I do on my computer is my business and not Apple's.
    The ultimate in Apple arrogance, of course, being error 53 on the iPhone 6.

Raz0rEdge - It's NOT a app that can be downloaded
    Strange ---

Search Results
    Web results
    Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Official Apple ..
    FaceTime.png

rachalmers -- And still using Snow Leopard ? You can’t be serious?
    What do you mean -- still driving a 1936 Rolls Royce! You can't be serious

Am also dual booted with latest version - just in case.

We all have our own preferences - usually for good reason.

Facetime deletion
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    @Dave_R, If you were to search the macOS Mojave App Store, FaceTime is no longer available (in the US store anyway).
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Facetime deletion
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    The app which Dave_R posted is available in the UK-based App Store. (I'm on macOS High Sierra)

However, it is listed as "an update" and also says "this update resolves connection issues - it is recommended for all users of Snow Leopard".

From my reading of it and the price, 99 pence, I think that this is quite different from the full-blown FaceTime app currently available in macOS. Moreover, the icon is totally different from the macOS icon.

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.17.50 pm?.png

Ian
    Ian

Thread Information