Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

why do mp4 files airdropped to my iphone6s now use 'photos' & Joining audio tracks together with mac

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    why do mp4 files airdropped to my iphone6s now use 'photos' & Joining audio tracks together with mac
    it is frustrating to have my mp4 files no longer give me the choice to choose the software to open with. I would always choose VLC, but now it always puts in photos. How can l choose VLC?

I noticed there is software that you can download to merge podcasts, but I believe Macs already have software to do this, eg Audacity.
    I had just discovered I can right click on a m4a track choose 'quick actions' and select 'trim'. This is ideal as there are only sections that I need in long podcasts, I can then merge using Audacity? is this the easiest way?
    thanks for help

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Applet View Post
    it is frustrating to have my mp4 files no longer give me the choice to choose the software to open with. I would always choose VLC, but now it always puts in photos. How can l choose VLC?

I noticed there is software that you can download to merge podcasts, but I believe Macs already have software to do this, eg Audacity.
    I had just discovered I can right click on a m4a track choose 'quick actions' and select 'trim'. This is ideal as there are only sections that I need in long podcasts, I can then merge using Audacity? is this the easiest way?
    thanks for help
    To open mp4 in vlc, highlight an mp4 file in finder. Right click, select Information.
    Scroll down to always open this file type with...
    And select vlc

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    To clarify what rachalmers said, you right click on a file, then "Get Information" and then "Open with" and dow hat he said about selecting VLC. And one more step after you do that. Click on Change All... and it will set VLC for ALL mp4 files.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Is the issue on your iOS device or macOS device? You posted in the macOS forum, so I'm just trying to understand?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    If you are editing / joining the movie on a Mac give these directions a try using the version of QuickTime Player on your Mac. The directions mention movies but the same process applies to audio files.

If you're doing this on an iPad / iPhone let us know.
    ďHard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.Ē
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Is the issue on your iOS device or macOS device? You posted in the macOS forum, so I'm just trying to understand?
    Sorry for not making myself clear, l am airdropping .mp4 from mbpr to my iphone6s. it still opens with photos despite doing steps as instructed. just weeks ago l got to choose which software l open the mp4 with. how to get VLC option or default on my iphone 6s.
    thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Sorry for not making myself clear, l am airdropping .mp4 from mbpr to my iphone6s. it still opens with photos despite doing steps as instructed. just weeks ago l got to choose which software l open the mp4 with. how to get VLC option or default on my iphone 6s.
    thanks
    I think you will find that mp4 is the default video format, even for a lot of Apple apps. iMovie, even QuickTime can export to mp4
    So Photos thinks itís got a video, and tries to run it.

Convert your audio files to mp3 and they will open in whatever.

But. To the best of my knowledge, you canít change the default app on iOS. Only Mac.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    I think you will find that mp4 is the default video format, even for a lot of Apple apps. iMovie, even QuickTime can export to mp4
    So Photos thinks itís got a video, and tries to run it.

Convert your audio files to mp3 and they will open in whatever.

But. To the best of my knowledge, you canít change the default app on iOS. Only Mac.

for certain MP4 files that were airdropped fro my mbpr to iphone gave me a choice what to open the mp4 file with. not anymore. is it not possible to get VLC back as the default for my iphone?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Have you checked to see if there is an update for the vlc app on your iPhone? Maybe the last iOS update caused an issue?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    still using iOS 12.1.4
    how do l check for update on VLC?

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    for certain MP4 files that were airdropped fro my mbpr to iphone gave me a choice what to open the mp4 file with. not anymore. is it not possible to get VLC back as the default for my iphone?
    Sorry, but it’s no longer possible. Maybe with the new iOS release out soon. The new VLC of course doesn’t have any control over this.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    Sorry, but itís no longer possible. Maybe with the new iOS release out soon. The new VLC of course doesnít have any control over this.
    that seems a backward move, are there any other video players that have basic functions that VLC has for control of the video? eg playback from where left off, can ff and rw just with taps on the rhs or lhs respectively, playlists.
    how did you learn of this backward move from IOS?
    thanks

Your Mac's Specs
    Start using cloud sync services like Dropbox, iCloud, etc. instead of "air Drop".
    -- Bob --

Thread Information