Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Bye Chrome - From WaPo

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    This is really nothing new...of course our online activities are being tracked by most internet browsers. The author is simply comparing Chrome to Firefox. Sure Firefox is better...but Duckduckgo is probably even better yet for folks that don't want to be tracked.

How about smartphones??...they know just bout everything about us...especially GPS related stuff.

Everywhere we've been...where we are currently...and probably knows where we're going next.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Ha! Our entire life in being tracked. By everyone. Get used to it. Or go live in a cave somewhere. And they’ll still know where you are. Amazon delivers anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    I just read a story how Walmart & Amazon have a service where they deliver groceries to your home...and the delivery person is actually allowed access to your home (in agreement with the home owner) so the groceries can be put away (especially fridge/freezer items).

The delivery person wear's a personal camera...so the home owner (if they wish)...can watch via live video what the delivery person is doing while in their home (when they get a email/text notification of the delivery).

Now here's the tricky part. Part of the agreement between the home owner & Amazon/Walmart...is all of the video footage from the personal camera the delivery person is wearing becomes the property of Amazon/Walmart.

Thus you know...the camera probably has a wide-angle lens...and the delivery person is probably trained to move in such a way that as much of the interior of the home from front door to the kitchen is captured. At some point all of this video is reviewed to see what products a home owner has inside their home...and then this data is combined with other data from internet browsers, smartphones, and social networking (like Facebook)...and tailored advertisements for products (or competitor products) the home owner already uses are pushed to the user for even more targeted advertising.

End of the day...the home owner has even less privacy...and is constantly scratching their head wondering how in the world do these retailers know all this stuff about them!

- Nick

p.s. Also...part of the agreement for this home delivery stuff is you must purchase a specific electronic/digital door lock (so the delivery person can get in the home)...and purchase specific in home camera/camera's (so the home owner can watch the delivery person in the home during the delivery). Of course the home owner must purchase these items from Walmart/Amazon...so these guys make extra profit selling these items as well. lol
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    You should read this...
    It’s an academic work, but will I am sure amaze you.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Actually, author George Orwell wrote about this many years ago. From Wikipedia:

Nineteen Eighty-Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel by English writer George Orwell published in June 1949, whose themes centre on the risks of government overreach, totalitarianism and repressive regimentation of all persons and behaviours within society.

In other words, "Big Brother" is watching. Only now, "Big Brother" has become much more sophisticated.

Go back and read that joke that Randy posted about Amazon knowing everything about you and see how real it's become.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Hey Nick

Thanks for the heads up about that service from our friends at Amazon and Wal-Mart. Don't think that has come to my area yet. I'd read about it but not checked out the user agreement. Although that service would be great for folks like me that don't drive, i don't think I'll be signing up any time soon.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about that service from our friends at Amazon and Wal-Mart. Don't think that has come to my area yet. I'd read about it but not checked out the user agreement. Although that service would be great for folks like me that don't drive, i don't think I'll be signing up any time soon.
    I have nothing against the actual service itself (delivery & putting away of groceries). It's the part about how all video that's captured during the in-home delivery process becoming the property of Amazon and/or Walmart (personal camera the delivery person wears & the in-home stand alone camera's).

Which you know they will optimize capturing as much video as possible while in a customers home...and analyze the heck out of it once that video is sent back to the proper departments at Amazon & Walmart.

- Nick

At least the author mentioned:
    There are ways to defang Chrome, which is much more complicated than just using “Incognito Mode.”
    which I have been involved with doing just to learn about and solve some browser problems I had been having lately.

And “Incognito Mode” isn't really what one is led to believe it seems.

But bottom line, most browsers can be controlled somewhat it seems, and mainly via cookies it seems.

Some might be interested in reading about the Cookie.app and/or give it a try:
    Cookie
    Cookie 5.9.10 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

I came across it and tried it today and quite impressive.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I have nothing against the actual service itself (delivery & putting away of groceries). It's the part about how all video that's captured during the in-home delivery process becoming the property of Amazon and/or Walmart (personal camera the delivery person wears & the in-home stand alone camera's).

Which you know they will optimize capturing as much video as possible while in a customers home...and analyze the heck out of it once that video is sent back to the proper departments at Amazon & Walmart.

- Nick
    My sentiments exactly. At this point the potential convenience isn't worth the invasion of privacy that could be involved.

If anyone thinks they won't track such information I suggest looking at some of the user agreememts a bit more carefully. If your "smart" TV is making suggestions of programs you might enjoy, it's tracking your behavior. Unfortunately the prevailing attitude from many customers seems to be "If you're not doing anything wrong what are you worried about?"

I wonder if the providers of this service are going to be held accountable should one of the delivery person's uses the delivery as an opportunity to check out the content of your home in hopes of relieving you of some posessions later?
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I just read a story how Walmart & Amazon have a service where they deliver groceries to your home...and the delivery person is actually allowed access to your home (in agreement with the home owner) so the groceries can be put away (especially fridge/freezer items).
    It seems a shame to be living in a world where there are people don't have or want to take the time to enjoy ordinary activities like grocery shopping. Part of the joy of grocery shopping is discovery. Hey look, The Mall's Gourmet Mart finally carries fresh mozzarella. Wowie Zowie, 7Eleven has craft beer from Vietnam.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    It seems a shame to be living in a world where there are people don't have or want to take the time to enjoy ordinary activities like grocery shopping.
    I think it depends on how busy of a day/week someone has.

Take someone with:

- A 45 minute commute to work (each way).
    - Works 8-10 hours/day.
    - Has 2-3 kids (and all of the parent taxi-duties taking the kids back & forth to their activities).
    - Needs to cook/prepare 3 meals/day (even if it's just in the microwave).
    - Do the laundry.
    - Wash the dishes.
    - Vacuum the house.
    - Clean the bathrooms.
    - Personal daily hygiene.
    - Walk the dog.
    - Water the plants.
    - Take out the trash.
    - Mow the lawn.
    - Pull the weeds.
    - Pay the bills.
    - May do 1-2 hours of work each night from home.
    - Etc, etc, etc.

With a schedule like this...grocery shopping is NOT an enjoyable activity. It's just one more item in a long daily/weekly list of things that NEEDS to be done. Having someone do it for you (if cost effective)...would be welcome by many I'm sure!

- Nick

No one ever thinks my attempts at humor are funny. A lifetime of thinking different. Perhaps I should give up.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    No one ever thinks my attempts at humor are funny. A lifetime of thinking different. Perhaps I should give up.
    Use some emoji's if humor is intended.

In a "text-only" communication environment...hard to tell if someone is serious or joking without some sort of emotional indicators.

Even including words like..."just-teasing", "joking", "kidding"...etc. help a bunch.

- Nick

- Nick

Hmmm...??? Do you really think they have the time or want to spend any resources on such an activity where any return is even questionable???

I'd doubt it very much, especially with the very small return that there is on groceries and food these days.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information