Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good Bye Chrome - From WaPo
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I think it depends on how busy of a day/week someone has.

Take someone with:

- A 45 minute commute to work (each way).
    - Works 8-10 hours/day.
    - Has 2-3 kids (and all of the parent taxi-duties taking the kids back & forth to their activities).
    - Needs to cook/prepare 3 meals/day (even if it's just in the microwave).
    - Do the laundry.
    - Wash the dishes.
    - Vacuum the house.
    - Clean the bathrooms.
    - Personal daily hygiene.
    - Walk the dog.
    - Water the plants.
    - Take out the trash.
    - Mow the lawn.
    - Pull the weeds.
    - Pay the bills.
    - May do 1-2 hours of work each night from home.
    - Etc, etc, etc.

With a schedule like this...grocery shopping is NOT an enjoyable activity. It's just one more item in a long daily/weekly list of things that NEEDS to be done. Having someone do it for you (if cost effective)...would be welcome by many I'm sure!

- Nick
    You sound like my wife. It’s not you dear is it? How did you know about these Forums? I thought it was a secret!

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    It’s not you dear is it? How did you know about these Forums? I thought it was a secret!
    I was looking over your shoulder husband. You know us wives know everything!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Hmmm...??? Do you really think they have the time or want to spend any resources on such an activity where any return is even questionable???

I'd doubt it very much, especially with the very small return that there is on groceries and food these days.
    Doubt it if you want...but this sort of thing is already taking place with cookies on websites...GPS data from cellphones...ANYTHING posted on Facebook & other social media...etc.

You're also missing the main point. This invasion of privacy has NOTHING to do with the grocery items themselves...it has to do with what the items the video camera's are capturing inside each customers home.

ANY consumer items the videos "see" in the home (type of furniture, type of TV, brand of TV, computers, carpet or hard wood floor's, exercise equipment, major & minor appliances in the home, etc.)....becomes fair game for advertisements to be pushed to the homeowner via computer, tablet, cellphone, Facebook, etc.

This is called marketing data. The more data companies know about consumers...the more refined they can target individual consumers with VERY targeted advertising. Many consumers are always thinking about upgrading their TV, replacing older appliances, replacing carpets, getting new furniture, etc...if they're hit with very targeted advertisements at the right time...this may encourage a consumer to take the next step & purchase the time (maybe sooner then they originally planned).

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Once agin you and I are channeling each other Nick. Are you sure you aren't looking over my shoulder?

Smart salespeople have always used information they know about customers to target the sales pitch to that specific custiomer the more information you have the better the pitch. Imagine the following scenario, which has probably gone on for years, and tell me if computers haven't made this process easier for the merchant:

I work for a merchant with a variety of goods for sale (everything from groceries, tires, electronics, etc). My job is to make deliveries for said merchant. During a delivery I notice that the customer has an older model TV set and a few pieces of furniture that are starting to look a bit shabby. Which of the following is most likely to happen?

A. Honor the customers privacy and not mention the shabby furniture and old TV?
    B. Mention these things to my employer in hopes of increasing business (possibly a promotion for me)?
    C. Mention these observations to the customer and warn them that my boss is going to try to sell them stuff.
    D. Observe as much as possible about the customer and environs to sell as much as possible (bigger promotion opportunity)
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

I work for a merchant with a variety of goods for sale (everything from groceries, tires, electronics, etc). My job is to make deliveries for said merchant. During a delivery I notice that the customer has an older model TV set and a few pieces of furniture that are starting to look a bit shabby. Which of the following is most likely to happen?

A. Honor the customers privacy and not mention the shabby furniture and old TV?
    B. Mention these things to my employer in hopes of increasing business (possibly a promotion for me)?
    C. Mention these observations to the customer and warn them that my boss is going to try to sell them stuff.
    D. Observe as much as possible about the customer and environs to sell as much as possible (bigger promotion opportunity)
    Awesome real-life example Sly! This is exactly what's going to happen with the video footage that the Amazon or Walmart delivery person captures. This is what these companies do...try to figure out how to sell more stuff.

If Amazon sells a brand new 65" TV to someone with data gathered via these grocery delivery videos...Samsung does better & Amazon does better.

I would even take things one step further. Walmart & Amazon may not give a crap about the $$$ they're earning from delivering groceries to the inside a home. The possible sole purpose of this type of grocery delivery is to gain access to the inside of customer homes...and learn wayyy more about the purchase habits & personal belongings of these customers...so they can use that data to target specific products at these consumers!

Thanks for sharing!

- Nick
    Last edited by pigoo3; 06-23-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added info

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks. Two things made me think of that.

1. Sometime during the mid 1980s I read a book on business management where one of the examples was a group of ladies that kept index cards with information about their regular customers (sizes, color preferences, recent purchases, etc). This allowed the salespeople to make suggestions when spouses came in to purcase something for birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

2. I've met a few salspeople over the years who are very good at this kind of thing (either naturally or learned) and they remeber their regulars. If you're a regulr at a local bar/restaurant I bet the best of their severs not only remember who you are but your regular order as well. I had someone remember me a while ago and that was at a restaurant I hadn't been to in about three years.

The difference between that and the kind of tracking we're concerned about seems to be that many of the folks engaged in tracking are not up front about it and often share thatinformation with or without our consent. There are a number of sites now where you cannot even access the site without either whitelisting the site (exposing youself to ads) or enabling cookies.
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsima View Post
    Most Web browsers (with the exception of Google's Chrome) make their money by facilitating Web searches and hits on Web sites. Google pays these fees as part of their ad service, and it's why there are so many free browsers. There is nothing insidious about this.

But Google's Chrome does insidious stuff. It tracks you and gathers your browsing information and aggregates it for Google to sell to advertisers. That's too bad, because, in general, Google's Chrome browser is excellent.

The good news is that Google's Chrome is based on open-source software, and anyone is free to use that codebase to create their own product. So, there are several Web browsers that are based on the open source code that Chrome is based on (Chromium), but with all of Google's tracking stuff ripped out. These browsers are fast, secure, and work really well. They even have things like ad-blocking built right in.:

Brave
    Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser

Vivaldi
    Vivaldi — The browser that puts you in control

Slimjet
    Fastest web browser that blocks all ads and protects your privacy - Slimjet

All three are free. They each have their strong points and their weak points, but they are all constantly being developed and updated, and they tend to regularly leapfrog each other.

Right now I'm partial towards Brave. (Darn it's a great browser! However I understand that it isn't fully updated for Mojave yet.) But Slimjet is addictingly fast. Since they are all free and don't conflict with each other feel free to download all of them and see which you like best. It would be interesting to hear which one(s) folks prefer.

Now, doing a Web search is different than what browser you use. DuckDuckGo isn't a Web browser, it's a search engine.
    Google's own search engine "Google", like all of Google's other products, tracks you and otherwise spys on you.
    DuckDuckGo is a secure alternative, but it's results are often noticeably inferior to Google's.
    If you want to do Web searches with results as good as a Google search, without your personal info being sent back to Google, I recommend that you use this search engine, which *is* a Google search with all of your identifying info blocked!:
    Startpage.com - The world's most private search engine
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for that info Randy. I routinely use DuckDuckGo instead of Google. I noticed the diference in the quality of results and always attributed it to either:

1. My poor search skills.
    2. An overactive imagination on my part.
    Kevin Durant

Thanks for that info Randy. I routinely use DuckDuckGo instead of Google. I noticed the diference in the quality of results and always attributed it to either:

1. My poor search skills.
    2. An overactive imagination on my part.
    LOL...Google is really adept at providing the best services out there for free, to get you hooked on them so that they can track you and spy on you constantly and then sell the information they gather on you.

Google search is miles ahead of any other search engine I've tried, even those that are more focused in their reach. Thank goodness for StartPage! (Bing is pretty close, but is Microsoft any more trustable than Google?)

Did you know that Google even offers a free search service for attorneys doing legal research? It's called Google Scholar:
    Google Scholar
    It's very tempting to use, because legal research services, like WestLaw, are quite expensive. But is it worth the risk? I don't know of any attorneys who think so.
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    I've heard about that one. Is it confined to law? It seems like I've heard it used in reference to other professions as well. I think it was in reference to finding research in speech-language therapy.
    Kevin Durant

One of the reasons I started using Chrome was because of its ability to translate entire websites with a single click. It does a very good job with Thai which is not easy. The Japanese comes out a bit silly, at times, but is decipherable.

I have yet to find a more secure browser with this ability.

Are there any?

I've heard about that one. Is it confined to law? It seems like I've heard it used in reference to other professions as well. I think it was in reference to finding research in speech-language therapy.
    Google Scholar, at least if you check off the "case law" option, is only for legal research. I can't find any info on anything else it might look for.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Google has special search sites for other disciplines.

I know that they have one for medicine:
    The Best Medical Search Engine - Home

I don't know of any others though.
    Randy B. Singer

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I hope everybody has read the joke about Google Pizza. That really ticked my funny bone and soo true.
    Joke of the Day (Warning some jokes may cause laughter)!!! : )
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

But Google's Chrome does insidious stuff. It tracks you and gathers your browsing information and aggregates it for Google to sell to advertisers. That's too bad, because, in general, Google's Chrome browser is excellent.

Hmmm...??? My older Google Chrome version seems to have an option to turn such creatures OFF, assuming the user wants to.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 8.43.13 AM.png

I actually enjoy and often use some of the tracking stuff, especially when I'm looking for some special thing to purchase, and various suggestions show up later, many have saved me money and provided better products.

To each their own I guess.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information