Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Password Manager for MacBook
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    Apple's Keychain or Lastpass What is the verdict of you professional people.??
    Thanks.
    David
    Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

I use Lastpass across multiple devices, my MBP, iMac, iPhone and that consistency is great. With the recent iOS support for using a password manager to login to sites, I don't have to worry about typing out ridiculously long passwords for no reason.

The advantage of Lastpass on Desktops is that since it's largely browser based, it will work on my OS, Windows, Linux, or macOS.

If you were going purely Apple-only, you might want to also explore 1Password.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    1Password is not Apple-only.

Pricing & free trial | 1Password
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    David,

You ask us to choose between two types of app that work in different ways.

Keychain is linked to your browser, typically Safari. It suggests strong (and previously never used) passwords, stores the choice & syncs across all Apple devices. But it does not store any other data such as Licence numbers/keys of apps, credit cards, bank details or any other personal stuff you can think of. And if Keychain ever gets corrupted (relatively rare), you've nothing to fall back on unless you have really good backups.

Lastpass and its like (1PW, enpass, dashlane etc) also suggest PWs, sync across Apple devices (and Windows in the case of 1PW and enpass - and probably the others); but allow you to store (encrypted) all sorts of other info, as I mentioned above.

Enpass is liked by many because it stores your PWs etc on your Mac - ie unlike most other popular password managers, it is an offline password manager - meaning that all your data is with you only, and nothing is stored on their servers.

So, there's lots of choices out there. Some are free, some are one-off payments and some are by subscription.

I have used 1PW for years but have no financial or other interest in the company. My comments on the few others I've mentioned are from general research and comments made on these Forums.

My simple advice is to research the main contenders , cost them, compare them according to your needs.

BTW, none of the third party apps precludes you from using Keychain at the same time.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    1Password is not Apple-only.

Pricing & free trial | 1Password
    Jake, thanks for correcting me. It's been a while since I'd looked at 1Password and it looks like they've seriously upped their game and are now supporting every possible device/application like LastPass.

I guess the big differentiating factor is that LastPass is free and 1Password is not.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Ashwin, that is true about the costs.

Ian, 1PW does store your password vault for you, but according to them it's encrypted by YOU before it is shared. They cannot decrypt the file, they are only storing it to sync with all your other 1PW instances. And you get to pick the sync path you want to use. You can use iCloud, Dropbox, a folder on your Mac or no sync at all. I use iCloud, which I prefer over Dropbox.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Ashwin, that is true about the costs.

Ian, 1PW does store your password vault for you, but according to them it's encrypted by YOU before it is shared. They cannot decrypt the file, they are only storing it to sync with all your other 1PW instances. And you get to pick the sync path you want to use. You can use iCloud, Dropbox, a folder on your Mac or no sync at all. I use iCloud, which I prefer over Dropbox.
    Jake, you are absolutely correct. I didn't emphasise that point properly. I like 1PW very much. Even got used to the subscription model

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    Apple's Keychain or Lastpass What is the verdict of you professional people.??
    Thanks.
    I've been using last pass for about 7-8 yrs now and I'm very happy with it. Works great on all the platforms I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    "Treat people as you would like to be treated."

Thread Information