Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Virtual pdf printer?

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 2.7GHz i5 (27 inch mid 2011)
    Virtual pdf printer?
    Hi

Is there something to replace pdfwriter? It worked for me at one time, but no longer, so I deleted it.

I would like to generate pdfs for Kinkos to print large format test plots for a printed circuit board design. I'm using McCad PCB-ST. The version for 10.8.6 and earlier let you select "Any Printer" in the print dialog box, then let you set the paper size, for example 34" x 22".

I just upgraded to a newer iMac with 10.13, and upgraded PCB-ST, but the "Any Printer" choice is gone and my desk jet only does letter size. I had pdfwriter, but it quit working so I deleted it. McCad tech support is the obvious answer but I would like to get some work done this weekend.

Thanks for any advice.

jp

Virtual pdf printer?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I can't really test this with my current printing seup but here's an idea that will only take a few minutes to try:

1. Go ahead and create a document just a you normally would.
    2. Choose print (control P). Do not close this yet).
    3. Your printer driver probably has an area where you choose paper size (Letter, Legal, etc). Click there and see if there's an option to define a custom paper size / manage custom sizes. If so, choose that.
    4. A new dialog / sheet will appear. Clcik the plus sign, enter the dimensions of the paper you would use if the printer supported it. Name the setting and choose OK.
    5. At the lower left of the Print dialog is drop down that says PDF choose that and choose Save as PDF.

This should save your document as a PDF with pages that have the dimensions you want to use. If this works, you will only have to do this setup of the custiom paper size once. The next time you print choose the custom paper siize you created then choose Save as PDF.

Alternate option (might not work):

Install the driver for your old printer. You should be able to create the PDF by choosing Print then selecting the old printer. Set the paper size etc. just as you did before. In the PDF option at the lower left of the dialog click there and choose Save as PDF.
    Last edited by Slydude; 05-27-2019 at 02:21 AM.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Virtual pdf printer?

Your Mac's Specs
    Dude: Thanks for working with me, but I see I was mistaken. "Any Printer" is still there and I can "Manage Custom Sizes" to 34" x 22" and create a large pdf.

But, the resolution isn't as good as it was on my old Mac, which was a 20" 2007 Intel core 2 duo.

One of the reasons I upgraded was because the old software was broken and wouldn't create large pdfs as it should, so tech support asked me to send my file to them and they created a large pdf for me as a test, at 1000 dpi (standard resolution). I opened their file and zoomed way in and it was crystal clear on my 20", not so on my 27".

Is there a resolution setting? I didn't see it in "Displays".

Virtual pdf printer?

Your Mac's Specs
    Wow, my mind is playing tricks on me. I just fired up the 20" and viewed the pdf sent by Tech Support.

It's not crystal clear when zooming in. Looks like it does on the 27".

Thanks very much for your efforts.

Virtual pdf printer?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    No problem. Let me know if you get this worked out. I'd kinda like to know what's causing the problem.

I'll be busy for the next few days then I'll give it another think and see what I come up with.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Virtual pdf printer?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thread moved here to correct forum. Not a subject for the Lounge.

Thread Information