Menu Bar creep and how to control it.
    Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    The best answer I have found to this growing need for Manu Bar real estate has been Bartender 3. Ive had this app since before the versions were numbered and although the number of Menu Bar items has not increased (much) I don't know how I would manage without it. iStat Menus has been a constant feature of my Menu Bar for a long time and it uses up a lot even though I only display CPU activity, MEM and SSD levels and Internet activity. The rest is taken up by CopyClip, Spotlight and the Day, Month and Date plus the Bartender icon of course.
    Recently my wife has started to complain that when she is using MS Word she can't see CopyClip so I moved it but then she couldn't see spotlight and so on. So as she is unwilling to pay US$15.00 for Bartender I started looking for cheaper or free alternatives.

Dozer and Vanilla were two free alternatives but they only seem to hide Menu Bar icons that you don't want to see. Of course there could be some use for that if the present icons were rearranged so that only the most used icons were visible (rather than hidden by the current application menu items) but rearranging does that anyway.

Bartender allows four options, show, hide, always show and always hide.
    You can swap between show and hide with a single click like having two menu bars and I can't find anything that does the job better.

Looks like she may have to fork out the price even though US$15.00 is AUS$20.25 at the moment.

If anybody has a better suggestion I'm all ears.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    If anybody has a better suggestion I'm all ears.
    Are all those menu bar items really necessary? I've got quite a few in my top menu but I'm using a 27" iMac. To me, "Bartender" is like putting extra shelves in your auto garage in order to store the junk that has accumulated. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Looks like she may have to fork out the price even though US$15.00 is AUS$20.25 at the moment.
    If anybody has a better suggestion I'm all ears

I don't use any of them, yes a 27" display helps, but how about any of these, and Free except Barsoom @ $6.99 or a custom Pro version of Vanilla @ $4.00 or whatever amount you can make a deal with the developer :
    Barsoom
    Barsoom 2.5 free download for Mac | MacUpdate
    Vanilla
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/59344/vanilla
    AccessMenuBarApps
    AccessMenuBarApps 2.6.1 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

And just another suggestion she might want to consider and that would be using some apple scripts or Automator and put them so they are accessible from the AppleScript Menubar icon.

I'm not sure which ones she would want to be using, but there are lots available with some searching, and one's imagination and a bit of scripting.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I guess its a bit of a choice thing between the dock and the menu bar. My "Always Show" menu bar items are only actually 6 items. I don't bother to display WiFi, Time machine, Siri, Bluetooth, Drop Box, OneDrive, Express VPN, CCC, Dictation and a few others but I do use them sporadically and when I do I want the menu options or activity indicators.

Its kinda like a press drill or router, I don't need them every day but when I do want them it's handy to know exactly where they are.
    And yes a 13.5" screen doesn't give you a lot of Realestate for that sort of list. It also means I have the luxury of knowing whet my fan, CPU and internet are doing at a glance and can access details if I want.

My wife on the other hand just has a lot of apps that provide Menu Bar Icons so she has them all and accesses them from there. She almost never uses Launch Pad so any other apps she needs she accesses through the finder menu. Just a completely different way of working.

AccessMenuBarApps looks pretty good (long name) we might give that a try. Thank you for that suggestion.

Rod
    Last edited by Rod; 05-27-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    My wife on the other hand just has a lot of apps that provide Menu Bar Icons so she has them all and accesses them from there. She almost never uses Launch Pad
    Rod, as I'm absolutely sure you know, your wife can rapidly open an app by using Spotlight (shortcut - command + spacebar) and type in the first few letters of the app and it will bring it up, then click "Enter".

Once you do this routinely, it's amazingly fast.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Launch pad, type in the first few letters of any app in the search bar, a list of possible apps come up, click on the one you want to launch it. Itís just the same but more mouse oriented. I canít get her to do that either. Keyboard commands are even less likely. She is very good (better than me) at web page management, document formatting, photo editing but she likes to do things in a visual way and she doesnít like change. This is why I do all the updating/ upgrading, malware removal, network prefs etc etc. we compliment each other very well but weíre both very visually oriented probably because we both learned on Macís not PCís.
    She still has to ask me the keys to take a screen shot after two years.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Once you do this routinely, it's amazingly fast.

I prefer my method of using SimpleKeys!, which has the option of using a single Function key or a keyboard shortcut to launch a program, among its other abilities of expanding text etc. But having an Apple extended keyboard with the extra F-keys certainly helps.

Just a single key press to launch or switch applications or add some boilerplate text or a signature etc., I just love it.

It's the only application I was able to find that would actually utilize and work properly with the Function keys properly in later OS X versions that and old PPC type App I used to use finally failed and gave up working properly in OS X. Surprise, surprise.

SimpleKeys 2 – piDog Software
    SimpleKeys 2.6.6 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Patrick, that's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
    Thanks Patrick, that's helpful.

Thanks Rod and glad to try and help.

Why not give SimpleKeys.app a try and I'm sure you and your wife could find multiple uses for it. But I can't recall what it provided for a free trial. Anyway, the developer is very fast to reply to any email questions as I discovered last year when I ran into some problems. He was very helpful and I got everything working as I wanted. And yes, that was with Mavericks 10.9.5.

I just love getting the results I want with just a single F-key push.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    I just had a brilliant idea based on your suggestions Patrick. I could move my copy of Bartender to my wifeís MBP and use one of your suggestions on mine. Iíll do a bit of trialling and let you know.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well the unexpected happened. I contacted Surtees Studio, the developers, in regard to how or if I could use my licenced version of Bartender 3 another device. I got a same day response from Ben Surtees saying, Hi Rod, just to clarify, the license you purchased from our website isn't a subscription, but a 1 time purchase for the current major release. And with the license you have, you are fine to also use it on your wife's MBP.
    So problem solved and nice to get a personal response from Ben. I will however also have a look at the alternatives suggested by Patrick and others cause thatís something I like to do and thanks to everybody as usual for you help.

Thread Information