Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

CrashPlan Caution- Program Change = Some Of Your Stored Files Will Be Deleted & No Longer Backed Up
    Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    CrashPlan Caution- Program Change = Some Of Your Stored Files Will Be Deleted & No Longer Backed Up
    Hi All!
    I wanted to post this in case any of you use CrashPlan by Code 42 for back ups and didn't find out about some changes that may be critical to you.

As of yesterday (May 19, 2019) CrashPlan will no longer backup may file types. One of them is sparseimage files/folders. (Per tech support)
    I did not get the entire list of files no longer being backed up. Perhaps they will send an e-mail notification.

I know of several companies & people (myself included) that routinely use encrypted sparseimage files/folders for their critical & important private data, such as financial, medical & family items. For our family, I have one encrypted sparseimage with several sub-folders and their documents.

As I understand it, all previous versions of these sparseimage files stored on CrashPlan's site or a CrashPlan local drive will be, or in my case already have been, deleted.

I found out the hard way- by trying to restore a previous version of a tax return form that got corrupted. (Glad I use Time Machine for a second back up, but it is local.)

Also note that OS X 10.11.xx is no longer supported, in case you're still on El Capitan. (My computer is because MacBook Pro is too old for the next OS)

For me, it is time to find another off-site backup service- or maybe send Time Machine offsite if it's possible. I haven't studied that yet.

I apologize if this post is inappropriate, it is not meant to beat up on Code 42. It's been very reliable for many years.
    I simply didn't want any of the forum members to get caught by surprise when a backed up copy or version of a critical file is needed & isn't available.

Enjoy This Day!
    Paul
    Last edited by PGB1; 05-20-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Grammar Is Our Friend! I Am Lousy At Grammar!

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Thanks for the info Paul.

I'm not a fan of off site backups primarily because they're usually slow and many of the services have limitations on what they back up. It's probably a good solution for someone who has critical data for their business stored and can not afford a loss in the event of a local disaster.

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for taking time to reply Chscag.

For another downside of CrashPlan, I just saw on the credit card statement that my price-per-month doubled for CrashPlan. Some notice would have been appreciated.
    I guess they want small businesses & individuals to leave.

I don't mind the time to upload the first backup to a new service, since my computer has only 146 GB on it. Last time it took a little over 30 hours.
    Some services will mail a drive for faster service- some are free and some cost. I'll skip that option.

I am also a bit frustrated with various services' limitations of file type and size.
    BackBlaze told me that encrypted sparseimage files are OK with them and any file size is OK to upload.
    All the services I looked at so far do exclude applications & system files, which is understandable.

The only thing I will miss about CrashPlan was that deleted files and changed files were kept forever unless one specifically tells them to be deleted. Occasionally I have deleted a file and many months later wanted to view it. That, however is 100% my fault.
    No other services retain deleted files or versions forever on Mac computers- as far as I've found so far. Most keep them for 30 days.

Do you think I'll be safe with 2 local backups (a clone updated weekly and a Time Machine on 2 different local drives) plus one off-site?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Do you think I'll be safe with 2 local backups (a clone updated weekly and a Time Machine on 2 different local drives) plus one off-site?
    One can never have too many backups. I would say you're well covered with what you're currently doing.

plus one off-site?
    Depending on where you live, that backup could be your most critical, especially in times of a fire and/or theft invasion.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Guys!

Good Thoughts Patrick! Based on where I live, the offsite backup may someday be very important. (Such is life!)

While backups are in the front of my mind, I think it is time to retire the 12 year old external HDD I use for Time Machine & go to a SSD. I'd also like to attach it to the router to act as a NAS device to un-clutter my desk and be available when the computer is not at the desk.
    I think (maybe incorrectly) that a SSD will live longer than a motor type HDD since drives attached to my router are powered 24/7 (motor would spin all day).

Time to get myself busy deciding on an offsite service!

Enjoy This Day!
    Paul

I think (maybe incorrectly) that a SSD will live longer than a motor type HDD since drives attached to my router are powered 24/7 (motor would spin all day).
    I think I would do some checking on the best for reliability, as it's really your main concern in my opinion. And most HDDs are designed to spin continously and can last for years doing just that. That's why they list the Mean time between failures (MTBF) with a driveI's specs which should certainly be taken into consideration.

Some sIuggestions to read:
    Are Solid State Drives More Reliable Than Hard Disk Drives?
    Are Solid State Drives More Reliable Than Hard Disk Drives?

are HDD or SSD best for backup
    are HDD or SSD best for backup - Google Search

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Patrick for the explanation & the helpful links.
    I appreciate it very much.
    Enjoy This Day!
    Paul

Your Mac's Specs
    Update-

A week or so ago, I filed out a survey for why I am leaving CrashPlan and got a reply saying that CrashPlan changed the rules & will allow sparseimage files to be backed up again. (Letter attached)

There remain several other files types are now excluded.

But, my price still doubled, so I'll probably exit their service.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by PGB1 View Post
    Update-

A week or so ago, I filed out a survey for why I am leaving CrashPlan and got a reply saying that CrashPlan changed the rules & will allow sparseimage files to be backed up again. (Letter attached)

There remain several other files types are now excluded.

But, my price still doubled, so I'll probably exit their service.

Personally, just giving a quick look-over at the two star rating and user comments about CrashPlan I think I would NOT even consider using it, and even their listed Requirements for CrashPlan don't even match what some user comments are saying about it:
    CrashPlan 4.8.4 free download for Mac | MacUpdate

Definitely a good cautionary post for others to be aware of and avoid. Thanks for posting.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Patrick for the note & link.

The article reviews were quite interesting. In one review the person mentioned they will no longer back up system files. I didn't get that memo. Wonder how many other files they are not backing up that I don't know about. It's fast & they never lost one of my files (until they stopped sparseimage & the old versions got removed from their server). Tech Support was great, until they stopped supporting 10.11.

I believe it is time to bail out on them. (Oh yeah- I keep forgetting about the price increase. That's good incentive.)
    Perhaps I stuck with them this long because I would get frustrated trying to find a new company.

Of the alternatives, iDrive, has one feature that I liked with CrashPlan: They keep old versions & deleted files until the user tells them to delete the files. To me it is kind of like a backup plan & off site storage combined. (To the plan's storage limit)

I am waiting for iDrive to let me know if they can backup encrypted sparseimage files while locked. If the files are unlocked, they will backup, but the tech support didn't know if locked ones will backup, so they sent it to the development team for testing. (Leaving them unlocked defeats my purpose for having sparseimage.)

If iDrive can not backup locked, encrypted sparseimage files, BackBlaze will probably be my choice. One loses permanent deleted file retention and the ability to backup all of one's devices, but they also have some nice features.

Thanks Again to all for writing to this post. It should be interesting to find out how a new plan works out!

Thread Information