Attention: Please checkout the new Mac-Forums Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Additional details in the "News & Community Announcements" thread.

hotmail/outlook quit displaying my email...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Hi All,

Today, Hotmail/Outlook quit displaying my emails. I can use my address book just fine but cannot use inbox, sent, trash, etc. Also, all the folders where I store older emails from friends, customers will not display. I'm using Safari 10.1.2 on my iMac, Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra). Now, when I use Firefox instead of Safari, my hotmail account is fine and works as normal, displaying all emails as it normally does.
    So, I'm thinking this is yet another Safari glitch, what to do?? And, yes, I have closed all files, shut down my computer and re-booted everything a couple times with no change. Yesterday, everything worked fine with Safari and Hotmail/Outlook. What should I try next?

Thanks in adv,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Bob, I am confused by your post. Outlook is an application from Microsoft that handles email for accounts you put into it. Hotmail is an email provider that COULD be used with Outlook, but which also has an online version that could be used with pretty much any browser like Firefox or Safari.

Your post mixes all those various things together and I cannot sort out what you are asking. Can you maybe give it another try to help this old brain? Typically, if Outlook cannot open your Hotmail account, I would suggest you check the settings in Outlook. But you kept referring to Safari, which may or may not store the login information for Hotmail for you.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac Sierra Mac OS 10.12.6
    Ok, let me try to be clearer. I have a Hotmail email account that I use (among other email accounts that I have as well). I usually use Safari as my internet browser but occasionally I use Firefox (when Safari goes pear-shaped, which seems to be occasionally). Now, about a year or so ago, Microsoft said Hotmail will start to be phased out and be replaced by Outlook for emails but (and it's a big but) hotmail users will be grandfathered (they can keep their hotmail accounts and email addresses). This is my understanding of my email situation with Microsoft. So, in other words, the current email program for Microsoft is now called Outlook but they are still letting me use my Hotmail email address and are servicing my email account. But I've been wrong before and this might be an oversimplification of the actual situation, who knows. Most of this stuff is too complicated for me anyway.

Now, today, I powered up my iMac (but did nothing else different than I have ever done before) and lo and behold, my Hotmail emails miraculously appeared as they had every day before yesterday. I have no idea why this problem self-corrected but it did. So problem solved, at least for now.

Thanks for contributing,

Bob M.

Thread Information