Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Notes vs google docs vs yahoo mail? for keeping photo diary days.

Your Mac's Specs
    2013 ,15" MBPR, 2.3GHZ i7, 8GB DDR3, 250GB SSD, Sierra 10.12.2
    l had a openoffice 'text' file which was used for a diary. it got to 100MB and refused to open. luckily got an older version of it ~87MB which can be opened, l am splitting up diary to reduce its size, decided, use open office just for text for now on and if photos I either use notes app, google docs or yahoo email for those ''days. I prefer notes, as it easily accepts photos, needs no internet, can export as pdf, Question is, will it become unstable and refuse to open if it gets above 100MB. my 5GB of icloud has all been used up, but does that matter?

You should ALWAYS choose the right tool for the job, not just what is in front of you. None of the apps you've listed are meant for what you are trying to do. There are specific apps that support the functionality of keeping a photo diary, specific apps that support keeping notes in a manageable, searchable way. Some of them are going to cost money, some are free.

For the pure notes parts, you should check out Evernote or OneNote. In both of those you can organize your information into Notebooks and Pages and can embed all sorts of information on there. These apps are designed to not keep all data in a single file that is going to overwhelm it and as such should be viable to use forever.

I use OneNote for all of my stuff and it's very efficient.

I don't have a specific recommendation for a diary app, but others might.
    Last edited by Raz0rEdge; 05-15-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Take a look at Day One. It's a diary system that allows text and images. I have used it for tracking my travels.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    Take a look at Day One. It's a diary system that allows text and images. I have used it for tracking my travels.
    sounds nice, but can it manage 100MB worth of text and photos? my openoffice had about 980 pages of full text and ~40 photo images before it decided to not open no more. how large is your Day one?
    Last edited by Applet; 05-15-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Use pencil & paper...and you will be free of all electronic device related issues!

- Nick

p.s. Just teasing!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    My Day One journals (I have two right now) have entries for 337 days, 352 pictures. Each daily entry is 3-4 paragraphs, some more, some less. My iPad reports that the total storage taken by the two journals is 286Mbytes. Hope that helps.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You should ALWAYS choose the right tool for the job, not just what is in front of you. None of the apps you've listed are meant for what you are trying to do. There are specific apps that support the functionality of keeping a photo diary, specific apps that support keeping notes in a manageable, searchable way. Some of them are going to cost money, some are free.

For the pure notes parts, you should check out Evernote or OneNote. In both of those you can organize your information into Notebooks and Pages and can embed all sorts of information on there. These apps are designed to not keep all data in a single file that is going to overwhelm it and as such should be viable to use forever.

I use OneNote for all of my stuff and it's very efficient.

I don't have a specific recommendation for a diary app, but others might.
    onenote had been suggested, l really like its modern look, it takes up 1GB on my mac , open office takes 399MB and libre office 693MB, but l think l will choose it, the ability to rotate jpgs in it, insert recording. will its stability be compromised with size? how large is your onenote and it seems it can only be saved as PDF? surely that will have its upper limit in size and stability as well?

Your Mac's Specs
    Just checked onenote search abilities and immediately compared it to open office or libre office, onenote unfortunately fails to search text which is in the note, this is essential feature, tested about 5 different phrases, and it got 3/5, office software got 5/5, so its libre office, definitely more stable than openoffice. thanks everyone for suggestions

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Although I've never used it - that may change now - Jakes's suggestion of "Day One" looks very professional: Day One - The award-winning journal app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

I'm going to give it a shot.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Applet View Post
    Just checked onenote search abilities and immediately compared it to open office or libre office, onenote unfortunately fails to search text which is in the note, this is essential feature, tested about 5 different phrases, and it got 3/5, office software got 5/5, so its libre office, definitely more stable than openoffice. thanks everyone for suggestions
    I'm not sure how you were going about doing the searches. But when I searched for specific words in OneNote, I got all the pages/notebooks that contained that word. When I searched for phrases, I got all the pages that contained that phrase but they weren't highlighted. However, single word search were highlighted.

If OneNote sucks are searching for text, it's failed as a product.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I'm not sure how you were going about doing the searches. But when I searched for specific words in OneNote, I got all the pages/notebooks that contained that word. When I searched for phrases, I got all the pages that contained that phrase but they weren't highlighted. However, single word search were highlighted.

If OneNote sucks are searching for text, it's failed as a product.
    I press 'command F' and just type in the word or phrase. l noticed that sometimes it doesnt take you to the word but does highlight it, but l really need it to take you to the time and place that word appeared, as diary can have many many pages.
    Day one looks real nice, but its going to be quite a lot of time, putting the pics in it with copy and pasting the pics specifically, at the right places. with libre office l just use it to open the word file and the pics are in there. btw, l have reduced the size from 87MB to 57MB, but it takes 23 secs to open. WITH openoffice it takes only 8secs, but for sure can't fully trust openoffice on stability. perhaps spend the time and putting all in Day one? Notes on the mac capable of doing the things l require, ie take years of text and many photos? ~100MB worth of? by which time l can just export it as pdf and start a new on Notes. this workable?
    Last edited by Applet; 05-16-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Thread Information